Sushi

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
My local grocery store starting making sushi rolls this week in the deli. I decide it was time to try it considering I’m a meat and potatoes guy and all other food be damned, it wasn’t bad at all. I’ll get it again considering at least once a week I make a trip there, my new treat. That little glob of green pasty shit sure knocked my dick in the dirt though, it should’ve come with a warning of some kind to not eat it all at once on one piece, I’ll avoid that glob from now on because I’m pretty sure it tried to kill me.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
You want a real kick, rub some of that in your eye.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s called wasabi, it’s Japanese horseradish. Mix it with the soy sauce and that’s what you dip your sushi into.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eat grocery store sushi until you get the addiction and then go to a sushi restaurant and REALLY see what you've been missing your whole life. Never underestimate steak, chicken, shrimp, scallops, rice with yum yum sauce off the hibachi either. By far the biggest thing I miss about living in fartgo.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sushi can be really good, but also really bad … I have found grocery stores are hit and miss, if you think it’s good it’s only average for a true sushi restaurant … and yes wasabi will definitely clear your sinuses

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ate at a good one in Boise and alll I can say is wow. I ate way to much

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
SUSHI is for cats, the outside wild ones, and that green stuff is for removing rust off your ball hitch.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you get real adventurous try sashimi. Just a chunk of raw fish. Good stuff. There isn’t much I won’t eat or at least try once. If you get somewhere that they make poke bowls try that too. It’s rice, veggies and raw tuna.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you get real adventurous try sashimi. Just a chunk of raw fish. Good stuff. There isn’t much I won’t eat or at least try once. If you get somewhere that they make poke bowls try that too. It’s rice, veggies and raw tuna.
Let’s not get carried away, it took me 44 years just to try sushi today.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let’s not get carried away, it took me 44 years just to try sushi today.

Sashimi and poke are both good as well. Mixing the wasabi and soy to dip the sushi into is the deal. Like most of it but not a fan of eel and the tabiko needs to be in moderation

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife introduced me to sushi and sashimi about 11 years ago. We flew down to vegas for the weekend and she took me to her favorite sushi place called Sushi Mon. I've been hooked ever since. I promise you, if you liked the grocery store sushi, go to an actual sushi restaraunt and try it. It will be far better, and don't be shy about trying the sashimi, it is the best. If you make it to Minot, go to Sakura by the mall and get a Godzilla Roll, an Amazing Tuna Roll, and a Spicey Tuna Roll... You won't be disappointed. Like others have said, mix some of the green stuff with soy sauce and use it to dip your sushi in. start light on the wasabi and work your way up though lol

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
BF692D95-E59B-4B14-8BA9-0A13F53F1188.jpg

combination poke was amazing

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
grocery store sushi could be good

but they have to store it cold

and cold rice is a sushi nightmare

- - - Updated - - -

musubi is good stuff too

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
My first experience, my wife brought grocery store sushi from Fargo to DL 2+ hours in her car. Could have puked. Next experience was in Vegas the night before our wedding a couple of years later. Hesitant of course. But, instantly hooked. Since then, I will eat it whenever and wherever I can get it. Except a grocery store. We even make it ourselves once or twice a year and I consider myself damn good at making and rolling it now. With the right ingredients and equipment, its really not that difficult to make good shit. And yes... sashimi is fantastic! Its really about the product. But, even vacuum frozen grocery store fish will do. Just make sure it is vacuum sealed andi ts still very cold when serving. Fyi... by law, any raw fish sold at a restaurant in the United States is required to have been frozen to minus whatever degrees before being served. So, you aren't shorting yourself going that route. I've eaten it on the coasts before where they claim its "fresh". Besides the fact I don't believe it is, I can't tell the difference between that and shit we make at home or get at restaurants inland. Kits are readily available online to get you started. Don't go overboard with the fish on your first order if you go that route. A little goes a long ways. And don't shy away from a poke bowl. I've never been disappointed.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting, I lived in Japan for 3.5 yrs, never got the "taste" for raw fish, and I really didn't like the seaweed attached to the sushi rolls.

To each their own, I guess...

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hornbachers in Fargo makes a pretty decent sushi roll.

This last week in Vegas my daughter took my wife and I to a local all you can eat sushi joint with no hibachi grill... all sushi and sashimi with a few tempura items. 1st off, I hate fish. Major taste aversion. Out of the 10 or so types we ordered only 1 that didnt sit well with me. This place blew anything I have had before out of the water. Wasabi in the soy is a must (real wasabi).

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
real wasabi is quite rare

only had it once and I’ve been a sushi fan since the 80s

- - - Updated - - -

espringers is right - sushi at home is easy and excellent

learn to make the rice properly - that’s 90% of the battle

- - - Updated - - -

I read that in Japan many sushi chefs spend their first year focusing almost solely on making rice.

- - - Updated - - -

I’ll say it again - cold rice is a nightmare - not sure how you guys deal w Hornbachers sushi - let it warm to room temp?

- - - Updated - - -

if you make anything at home with seaweed wrap you must toast it!

gummy wrap - another sushi nightmare

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Us hillbillies were just fine with cold grocery store sushi rice but Guywho Ramsey has to show up and tell us it’s shit. Now I’m going to see it in the grocery store and think, “no, I can’t enjoy this because the rice is cold and Jesus is watching.” Thanks a lot, guywhokillsjoy.

real wasabi is quite rare

only had it once and I’ve been a sushi fan since the 80s

- - - Updated - - -

espringers is right - sushi at home is easy and excellent

learn to make the rice properly - that’s 90% of the battle

- - - Updated - - -

I read that in Japan many sushi chefs spend their first year focusing almost solely on making rice.

- - - Updated - - -

I’ll say it again - cold rice is a nightmare - not sure how you guys deal w Hornbachers sushi - let it warm to room temp?

- - - Updated - - -

if you make anything at home with seaweed wrap you must toast it!

gummy wrap - another sushi nightmare

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Us hillbillies were just fine with cold grocery store sushi rice but Guywho Ramsey has to show up and tell us it’s shit. Now I’m going to see it in the grocery store and think, “no, I can’t enjoy this because the rice is cold and Jesus is watching.” Thanks a lot, guywhokillsjoy.

Hahahahahahaha

- - - Updated - - -

If you guys love cold grocery store sushi rice you should try gas station sushi..

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sushi is good eats. I have had the grocery store guys sushi a couple times, it is not bad at all. I prefer a good sushi place in Fargo bit that works in a pinch or quick lunch.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 144
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 77