New over the air TV channels

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone else noticed a whole bunch of new channels VIA air waves and know how long they have been on ? We have two TVs, one must update automatically and has the new channels but the other one doesn't so I must have to rescan for new channels. They just showed up a couple of days ago here. If you have an antenna and no new channels you might want to scan for new channels.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hadn't watched over the air TV in years, was over at a friends house and he showed me all the channels available over the air. I couldn't believe how many there were. When I grew up there was only three and maybe 4 if you turned the antenna just right.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
We normally get 27 channels with the antenna and now all of a sudden we get a few hundred bunched in with the local channels. the guide calls them streaming tv so I'm assuming we must have somehow unknowingly added the channels to our local channel lineup.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
We normally get 27 channels with the antenna and now all of a sudden we get a few hundred bunched in with the local channels. the guide calls them streaming tv so I'm assuming we must have somehow unknowingly added the channels to our local channel lineup.
what kind of antenna do you have?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's something like the one in the link...except the one I have is only 150 mile range the new ones claim 250. I just looked to see which one I have and I saw this. Its the same design, I'm going to try this one to see if I can get Canadian channels with it. I have mine up in the attic and I'm lucky that I don't ever have to rotate it. According to the antenna map we are only supposed to expect about half as many as we get.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/250mile-4K-1080P-Outdoor-Amplified-HDTV-TV-Antenna-Digital-UHF-VHF-360-Rotation/113841299737?hash=item1a81786119:g:R80AAOSwI49enWBK

Motor Mouse

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds to me like you are streaming. Mixed in with the other off the air channels seams strange though. Tons of free channels streaming off the internet. If it’s a smart tv you don’t need a fire stick or roku. Pluto is great and free so is IDMb to name a couple of free streaming options...just don’t get local tv channels unless you subscribe to a streaming service like Utubetv or similar. Maybe one of the kids were home and set you up without you knowing?

But if there are some local channels I don’t know about I want to hear more so I can get them in the ice house with out chewing up data streaming with the I phone!

By the way that antenna has as much chance of picking up channels 250 miles away as .22 killing a grizzly at mile and half.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Iuse a digital antenna here in minn,works great when bad qweather fucks up my dish.plenty of channels to view.

- - - Updated - - -

I use a digital antenna here in minn,works great when bad qweather fucks up my dish.plenty of channels to view.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Finally figured out that it's roku streaming channels that somehow started showing up with the antenna channels. There are so many free channels that I have never explored and never knew about roku streaming . Mystery now is how they got added, Roku streaming appears to be free so that helps and there are a couple channels that I like . Is it possible for smart tvs to get hacked ? Only wife and I and knucklehead the cat at home and we are all in denial. The antenna that I have was the only one I found that works and it outshines everything else I have tried. It would only have to be a "little" better to pull in Canadian channels the Brandon tower is roughly 80 miles away.

Motor Mouse

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup tons of free stuff while streaming. I’m surprised your having such good luck with that antenna. I would have to believe you are close to the broadcast towers and high in elevation. TV signal disappears at 80 to 100 miles because of the curvature of the earth. Even the best antennas need to be high in elevation and without obstructions to the towers for them to work. On another note there is no such thing as a digital antenna or HD antenna. That’s all sales gimmick! Just UHF and VHF. Most channels are now digital but some analog remains is certain areas.

generally speaking VHF is channels 2 - 13 and UHF is 14 - 51 (over the air channels) in digital there are affiliate frequencies like 13-2, 13-3 .... etc. The old rabbit ears are just as good a digital or HD antenna as you can buy as long as your close enough to the broad cast towers.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup tons of free stuff while streaming. I’m surprised your having such good luck with that antenna. I would have to believe you are close to the broadcast towers and high in elevation. TV signal disappears at 80 to 100 miles because of the curvature of the earth. Even the best antennas need to be high in elevation and without obstructions to the towers for them to work. On another note there is no such thing as a digital antenna or HD antenna. That’s all sales gimmick! Just UHF and VHF. Most channels are now digital but some analog remains is certain areas.

generally speaking VHF is channels 2 - 13 and UHF is 14 - 51 (over the air channels) in digital there are affiliate frequencies like 13-2, 13-3 .... etc. The old rabbit ears are just as good a digital or HD antenna as you can buy as long as your close enough to the broad cast towers.

Being a "hillbilly" has its advantages. We are roughly 60 miles away and 300 feet higher than Minot tower.

Not sure where our Fargo / Grand forks /Devils lake channels come from , if there are sub transformers or if they piggyback signals from minot tower but the Devils lake/Petersburg tower is roughly 600 feet lower than us and 110 miles away.

We were ok with 3 or 4 channels until tv went digital and since then I have tried several amplifiers/boosters with a few different antenna styles and none of them worked anywhere close to the antenna I have now. They did get us a couple of channels but one at a time and then had to move them around to find another channel.

Motor Mouse

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you get Devils Lake channels? If so that is totally impressive and has to be because of your elevation. But still crazy impressive! Good deal for you!

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have a house on 6 mile bay and i cant get devils lake channels with rabbit ears. I just figured Obama messed it up with digital tv ha ha

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
River view, When I had my cabin cruiser on Devils lake all I could get was 2 Prairie Public channels and that was with a booster.

We don't get Devils lake news but we get Fargo and I'm not sure how or why but they for sure they are over the air.

These are the channels we get .

10.1 Minot
13.1 Minot
14.1 WDAY Fargo
14.3 Another fargo station, WDAZ and or WDAY
24.1 all the way through 24.12 There are 12 of them

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
am i going to get some new channels up on devils this coming summer

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We get about 30 over the air channels in the new 5th wheel.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75