NWT stop in ND..not any more.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
They can fish Mobridge and Oahe all they want in SD. That Francis Case tourney in April sucks though. As if there aren't already hundreds of boats from every state fishing from Ft. Thompson to the White River that time of year. All with shotty boat ramp access and little capacity. Fish quality is never great on FC and weights pretty meager, but it's a guaranteed early tournament for them. It's early access for everyone else too though.

Funny they didn't check with the local tourney calendar?

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
now to just increase price and decline the number of out of state any/mule buck tags given out :;:stirthepot

dbllung

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am all for that, but don't stop there. How about a few "fees" like I pay when applying out of state, application fee, processing fee, etc.. Seems every year there is another fee required for applying. Pretty sure ND charges non residents ZERO for applying. Someone correct me if I am wrong...
now to just increase price and decline the number of out of state any/mule buck tags given out :;:stirthepot

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am all for that, but don't stop there. How about a few "fees" like I pay when applying out of state, application fee, processing fee, etc.. Seems every year there is another fee required for applying. Pretty sure ND charges non residents ZERO for applying. Someone correct me if I am wrong...

Nonres_big_game.jpg

Tough to read but there are some pretty weak fees for nonres apps

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does this mean we will have covid for another season? or other important shit like that in our life

Honkerherms

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need to weigh in on this and state a few facts. I really enjoy fishing the NWT as a Co-Angler. I fished some six different events including one final. They have what I feel is the best format to prevent any cheating from taking place. One also gets paired up with the some pretty neat guys to fish with! However, there have been a lot of miss stated opinions and views about the NWT coming to Bismarck.

The NWT does not come to any venue without being paid by someone whether it is a CVB or other private entity. I was told that Garrison paid the NWT some $10,000 plus another approximate $4000 in expenses for a total of approximately $14,000 to hold the event this past fall. It was also stated to me when I inferred about the economic impact that they could not place a monetarily amount so I cannot compare those figures. I am fairly certain that it was positive; moreover, my source did make mention that it would probably comparable to the $1375/angler – maybe lower with the local anglers being well represented – the 2019 Devils Lake Finals were estimated at!

Garrison is where I learned of the 2021 schedule that included Bismarck being on board to hold the first spring event in 2021. I thought about this and two things immediately came to mind – one being why didn’t the Chamberlain/Oacoma, SD venue from the spring of 2020 – canceled do the Covid -19 scare – get first shot at re-hosting the first spring event? The NWT gave Red Wing, MN the second chance to host it again when their first shot was flooded out in 2018. The 2018 and 2019 Red Wing scheduled tournaments were both rescheduled to Oshkosh, WI. I do not know the answer to that one. The second is the scheduling, and I did find the answer out on this one.

The NWT wanted to hold the tournament on April 29[SUP]th[/SUP] and 30[SUP]th[/SUP] right in between when the AIM on Sunday the 25[SUP]th[/SUP] of April and the Big Muddy – that always occurs the first Saturday of May – taking place Saturday May 1[SUP]st[/SUP]. That was going to be three huge tournaments in a seven day span during the spring with pre-spawn conditions occurring. The NDGF was never going to let that take place. Plain and simple, and confirmed by letter from the NDGF, that the schedule was the reason NWT’s permit was not accepted. They did give the NWT opportunity to work with the NDGF to find a time and place that may work. Most of the times and boat areas the NDGF suggested on Lake Oahe may have not been the most eminent at this time, but they were offered.

The NDGF gave the established tournaments on their respected date and times from years before with the respect to not being over crowded for pre-fishing or during tournament days their due diligence. I see nothing wrong with that. The 10% conservation fee was not the reason for the NWT not getting a permit or NWT backing out from the dates they wanted. They had no permit for those dates because of scheduling.

I really wanted to see the NWT in Bismarck, but it has been established in years past by the NDGF, and their tournament committee, previous tournaments from year to year get the first opportunity to hold their tournament on that date. Oh, and not to mention it is a busy time for local anglers too!

Honkerherms,
Jeff

Last edited:

fishhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also pretty weak chance to ever get a NR mule buck gun tag. What do they give 5 in a unit?

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also pretty weak chance to ever get a NR mule buck gun tag. What do they give 5 in a unit?
:;:stirthepotYea its 10% but around $250, less than half of most special draw tags around us less SD, also there is the 7-800 any buck archery tags being hunted/filled in mostly in 3-4 units ;:;hijacked

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66