I need a new vacuum sealer.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
good info,thanx guyz my old food saver needs replacing,doing fish sucks in a food saver unless you fast freeze the fillets otherwise the bags won't seal from the moisture.
Put a paper towel in the front of the bag to absorb the liquid and they will seal.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
good info,thanx guyz my old food saver needs replacing,doing fish sucks in a food saver unless you fast freeze the fillets otherwise the bags won't seal from the moisture.

Put a paper towel in the front of the bag to absorb the liquid and they will seal.

You should always flash freeze fish before vacuum sealing, otherwise you are sucking a lot of the juice out of the fish and it will be drier when cooked.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still haven’t pulled the trigger on a sealer. I’m thinking of staying in a lower price range at the moment. I’ve seen vacmaster 380’s recommended, but can’t find it on the manufacturer’s website. Is that a discontinued model? I was thinking about going with an LEM 1000. Any comments on that model? I like that I can manually run the vacuum without sealing until I’m satisfied with the vacuum results.

GSP

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m new to the chamber sealer game. I have used my foodsaver for about 6 years, doing several deer a year, in addition to weekly other items. My foodsaver is on its last leg, so I looked around and found a chamber sealer for $300 on vevor.com. I have only used it a dozen times, but I’m very impressed so far. The max bag size is 10x13, which is plenty for me. Compared to a new foodsaver, its not much more expensive and the bags are really cheap.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are the chamber sealer bags textured at all on one side or are they completely smooth on both sides, inside the pouch?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are the chamber sealer bags textured at all on one side or are they completely smooth on both sides, inside the pouch?
Smooth - the texture is there to let fluids (hopefully only air) from inside the bag creep out toward the vacuum that is occurring only at the opening. The atmosphere reacts by pushing all fluids (including water, broth, etc.) toward the opening. Without the crinkles it doesn't work - there's no sneaky open pathways for fluids to escape.

In a chamber vacuum the vacuum isn't focused only on the bag's opening - it occurs at all points inside and outside the bag. So zero uneven pull/push of fluids - it's dead calm in a sense.

You can vacuum pack water. It literally BOILS as you watch the dissolved gases leave the water. Once sealed, and the pressure of the atmosphere is allowed back into the chamber - BOOM - the boiling stops. Not a drop leaves the bag and the bag is cool to the touch. It really freaks most people out that water boils at room temp.

The bags are about a nickel a piece in bulk. You can also get ziplock style, boil in bag style, food prepper foil backed bags, etc.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Smooth - the texture is there to let fluids (hopefully only air) from inside the bag creep out toward the vacuum that is occurring only at the opening. The atmosphere reacts by pushing all fluids (including water, broth, etc.) toward the opening. Without the crinkles it doesn't work - there's no sneaky open pathways for fluids to escape.

In a chamber vacuum the vacuum isn't focused only on the bag's opening - it occurs at all points inside and outside the bag. So zero uneven pull/push of fluids - it's dead calm in a sense.

You can vacuum pack water. It literally BOILS as you watch the dissolved gases leave the water. Once sealed, and the pressure of the atmosphere is allowed back into the chamber - BOOM - the boiling stops. Not a drop leaves the bag and the bag is cool to the touch. It really freaks most people out that water boils at room temp.

The bags are about a nickel a piece in bulk. You can also get ziplock style, boil in bag style, food prepper foil backed bags, etc.
our water boils all the time on the stove when our room is room temperature

sorry being a dink today LOL

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84