Memory foam mattress nightmare

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody ever experienced any serious night sweating action on tempur pedic mattresses? We have an adjustable queen that we moved to a guest BR in favor of a king now. Im 1 1/2 years new to them now but been wondering why I get so damn hot and wake up to soaked sheets and pillow cases these days at 3 am.

Before I go spending $250 more on a slumbercloud topper and/or bamboo/plant based sheets I figured I'd ask if anybody has experienced the same nightmare with memory foam. Not liking the thought of buying another new bed and moving any of the cs'ers around again but very sick of moving to the couch in the middle of the night as well.

I must give off some serious heat as the Mrs is always freezing at night and with a 19 MO a good night of sleep is very underrated these days. Pretty sure I could fry an egg where I lay for a couple hours. #missmyoldfaithful #menneverwin

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
they do hold heat and make a person sweat. tis why a lot of them are made with some voodoo cooling foam now. i don't mind sweating while i sleep. and a fella can always sleep with less blankets i would think. so, frankly, its a trade off i am willing to live with. other than that issue, i love mine way more than any other mattress i've ever had. we have 8 beds in our rental cabin. we put one on every bed except for one. we regularly get communication from people about how much they loved the mattress, nights sleep, wanting to know where we got them, etc... they were all relatively inexpensive mattresses that came shipped in a box from a big box store of some kind. make sure you go no less than 8 inch. 10-12 is recommended. and get a good water proof cover. worth their weight in gold. not sure how the hell you would ever remove liquid from the middle of a 12 inch sponge. if it got pissed on, you might as well toss it out as far a i would figure.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
the fact that they hold it tells you they’re also good at conducting heat

I’ve never once had issues with Tempurpedic being hot

going on 20 years

we never buy the fancy cool breeze versions - just old school firm memory foam

you go in nowadays and they have a dozen versions- wtf

- - - Updated - - -

that said - I’ve had to be on prednisone a time or two and THAT crap makes me sweat at night

I suspect meds or other condition to be honest

I’ll never not own a Tempurpedic if I can help it

- - - Updated - - -

too much booze gives me the sweats too

- - - Updated - - -

that said - galwhofishes gets hot but doesn’t sweat cuz she’s a girl

- - - Updated - - -

something to do with her lady parts

- - - Updated - - -

stopped doing stuff

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Different foam mattresses through the years have made me sweat.
Bought a couple of those that were made so you don't sweat and that helped. Bought My Pillow mattress topper and that works great for me. Have them on all the beds and even gave some to the kids for their beds in their homes.
I also use the My Pillow Pillows. Take mine with me wherever i go. Since my last neck surgery that is a MUST have.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep have mattress protectors on all 4 beds here and 4 or 5 (bunk) out at our rental here as well. Think I will just have to splurge and try the topper out at this point and cross my fingers. The beds are definitely comfortable as hell but I'd sleep on rocks if it prevented the evil night sweats. Last night I just tried sleeping on top of the comforter and using a throw covered half over me wondering if it was two people's body heat causing my misery, but no dice..

And I hear ya guy, a good ol bender can most definitely cause some biblical Sunday night meat sweats!

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought I heard that night sweats were an indication of heart issues...

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
God that sounds miserable.

bedfans.jpeg

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
No TempurPedic. We didn't like them when we were shopping for a new mattress. We ended up getting a Stearns and Foster. Best dang mattress I've ever slept on. It's a cooling mattress so it doesn't hold the heat. We also got an adjustable frame with it which was kind of a waste of money. It did, however, come in handy when I bulged a disc in my back. Mattress Firm also threw in two really expensive pillows, which have been great.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm really liking the sounds of a cooling mattress and we have one more room we can put this thing in if this topper doesn't do the trick. I'll be damned if I continue down this path otherwise because sleep is supposed to be as enjoyable as fishing is damnit. Now all I do is get anxiety before I fall asleep knowing ill be getting up in a few hours about as uncomfortable as I guy can be and laying back down in that mess is not cool.

It's not waking up 5-7 times a night swine-flu bad but once in the night is more than enough.

Think the tickers pretty good 'knock on wood' WW, I can just feel the heat rising around me. Guess it's good to have warm feet and sweaty hands than bad circulation maybe?

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Read about the difference between memory foam and hybrid. Had the same issue. Hybrid is awesome, memory foam without the heat!

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Will for surely do and all this info is exactly why this site is damn awesome. Guess theres always 3 empty Queens downstairs where Its 60 degrees but just can't go down that road, wouldn't wana know what it's like to sleep 2 hours straight again..

This glorious light at the end of the tunnel is starting to getting visible.

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
@ Rut2much , Is it every night or hit and miss ? For me it seems to depend on what I eat for supper and when. A nice juicy steak will heat me right up. last night we had pot roast and that does it too. I kick the covers off most nights or partially but other nights I can't seem to warm up.

We have a memory foam mattress that we only slept on for a week before we moved it to a guest room, My back couldn't take it and wife didn't like it either. We have tried a few different mattresses and after two hours I wake up and have to get up and move around then I catch another two sometimes 3 .

Does anyone with a few hard miles on them sleep on a waterbed ? That's my next move but like the other ones I don't want to buy and set it up only to wish I hadn't bought the darn thing. We had one when we were first married and loved it but finally it sprung a leak and we went with mattress and box spring although in those days I could sleep 8 -10 hours on a hard floor or couch no problem.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Humped several times in various water beds
They are horrible for gaining a good toe hold for thrusting..
Shag carpet is one notch above.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shag carpet ? Evidently you haven't had to endure carpet burns the size of 50 cent pieces on your knees.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
they do hold heat and make a person sweat. tis why a lot of them are made with some voodoo cooling foam now. i don't mind sweating while i sleep. and a fella can always sleep with less blankets i would think. so, frankly, its a trade off i am willing to live with. other than that issue, i love mine way more than any other mattress i've ever had. we have 8 beds in our rental cabin. we put one on every bed except for one. we regularly get communication from people about how much they loved the mattress, nights sleep, wanting to know where we got them, etc... they were all relatively inexpensive mattresses that came shipped in a box from a big box store of some kind. make sure you go no less than 8 inch. 10-12 is recommended. and get a good water proof cover. worth their weight in gold. not sure how the hell you would ever remove liquid from the middle of a 12 inch sponge. if it got pissed on, you might as well toss it out as far a i would figure.

It's not Voodoo. It's SCIENCE.:D

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Humped several times in various water beds
They are horrible for gaining a good toe hold for thrusting..
Shag carpet is one notch above.

Water beds take practice....You push down with your hands at the top of the bed....then wait for the wave lol

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dislike memory foam or anything that you sink into and doesn't pop back if you move. Nothing worse than laying in a hole or rolling back into it. Also they are hot. I did the online mattress shopping as I liked the idea of the trial period and being able to send it back if not happy. I'd also recommend taking an online quiz like at Goodbed.com to see what mattress they recommend.

Latex to me is better than memory foam as it is more responsive than memory foam and seems to sleep cooler to me.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
After spending four in the Corps, I am pretty sure I've fallen asleep standing up, or at least propped up.

And on some really shitty mattresses in a handful of different countries.

As far as heat buildup, my only suggestion is to find a good sobakawa (buckwheat) pillow. I had one for years and it felt like an icebox compared to normal pillows in some really hot and sticky climates. Other than that I'll just say that I have little love for memory foam.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, it can't be the pillow as I can feel the heat coming/rising from my body and that heat naturally goes to the head so I know I'm cocooned in this heat box of a mattress as comfortable as it may be.

We just bought this house less than a year ago and have had people over inspecting that it's getting adequate upstairs ventilation as brand new windows and doors shouldnt be sweating inside at 10 degree weather from my experience. He went up there in the roof and recommended 2 more roof vents but those haven't been installed yet.

The other thing that got me excited 3-4 weeks ago is that we discovered the hose that goes to the dryer was totally cut off at the floor so I figured this was what was causing all the humidity in the stairwell and upstairs, sweaty nights, and sweating interior windows and doors but now a week later and no change other than a healthy output to the outside dryer vent.

Looking like the king dreamcloud-luxury hybrid mattress for $1100 with $400 of of free cooling pillows, sheet set, and mattress protector is what may be in Santa's sleigh..Ugh. Good news is friends from fargo coming for the weekend already want to buy this tempur pedic so we shall see what unfolds.

VDAWG

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have a tempur pedic and love it. Some people do get sweaty on them, but both my wife and I do just fine. We also got the adjustable frame and that is a God send if you have a sore back, reflux, post nasal drip... We almost didn't do the adjustable frame but it was so worth it. Buy once cry once I guess.....Well Rut2Much, maybe not in your case! lol

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74