Memory foam mattress nightmare

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a memory foam mattress for 13yrs. Last year I was out shopping for a new one and laid on the Tempur Pedic and then tried another mattress. OMG, I couldn't lay on the memory foam ever again! I researched and physically tried out four specific mattresses and ended up between the two best ones; Sleep Number i8 or Purple 4. Much more softer and cooler and just as easy to sit up or get off of. I ended up buying the Purple 4 (they come 1,2,3, and 4) with an adjustable base. It's about the same price as Sleep number ($2,300).

A post further up said the truth, you do NOT need the adjustable base. It does help in certain situations but I rarely move mine much. I don't watch television from bed so it doesn't help there, either.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
[FONT=Roboto, sans-serif]Hey now... Tempur-Pedic consistently ranks highest in customer satisfaction according the J D Power and Associates. I won’t stand for any besmirching of The Pedic on NDA.

[/FONT]

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody ever experienced any serious night sweating action on tempur pedic mattresses? We have an adjustable queen that we moved to a guest BR in favor of a king now. Im 1 1/2 years new to them now but been wondering why I get so damn hot and wake up to soaked sheets and pillow cases these days at 3 am.

Before I go spending $250 more on a slumbercloud topper and/or bamboo/plant based sheets I figured I'd ask if anybody has experienced the same nightmare with memory foam. Not liking the thought of buying another new bed and moving any of the cs'ers around again but very sick of moving to the couch in the middle of the night as well.

I must give off some serious heat as the Mrs is always freezing at night and with a 19 MO a good night of sleep is very underrated these days. Pretty sure I could fry an egg where I lay for a couple hours. #missmyoldfaithful #menneverwin

Me thinks you have male menopause for starters,high blood pressure as well? ceiling fan will help,my house the thermostat drops to 53degrees at 10pm,just me and the pup in the house,sleep like a baby w/o the crying when its cool at night.

Last edited:

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
A co-worker made me a pillow out of the fluff from cattails. Supper heavy, dense and awesome to sleep on.

After spending four in the Corps, I am pretty sure I've fallen asleep standing up, or at least propped up.

And on some really shitty mattresses in a handful of different countries.

As far as heat buildup, my only suggestion is to find a good sobakawa (buckwheat) pillow. I had one for years and it felt like an icebox compared to normal pillows in some really hot and sticky climates. Other than that I'll just say that I have little love for memory foam.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We just purchased some Temperpedic pretty sure anyway, its a cooling mattress, with a cooling mattress pad, and cooling pillows.
I sleep great for about 4 hours, then toss the rest of the night, as I get hot, then cold, then tired on one side, and hot again, cold...etc..

Wife lays down, covers up and doesn't move the entire night, I have on occasion woke up and had to feel her, as I get spooked she might have passed she sleeps so still and well.

I am 50lbs over weight, drink fairly often, and have high blood pressure that I do take a pill for, but guessing these 3 factors are the cause, not the new mattress. Mrs johnr is 10lbs under weight, has a glass of wine maybe every other day, and has perfect blood pressure, sleeps like royalty.

Damn wish I didn't enjoy food and whiskey as much as I do. I know when I drop some pounds I always sleep better.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
We purchased a temperpedic about ten ( hmm I think longer)years ago. My wife loves it, and I hate it. I have the opposite problem that many of you have. When the doctor had me on a heart monitor for 48 hour he found my pulse while sleeping went down to 38 beats per minute. So if I am watching a good tv program and dont move it gets down to 48 beats per minute. The problem is when my heart rate goes down I get cold. That darn memory foam sucks heat from me. My wife sleeps with a sheet while I have three blankets, long johns. and winter sox on.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
electric blanket

- - - Updated - - -

or mattress pad

- - - Updated - - -

(on your half - they make dual controllers)

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
To anyone who has elevated blood pressure carries some extra weight around, likes to have a few drinks before bed, and has a wife that complains of your snoring, go get a sleep study done. A CPAP unit can change your life, likely contributes to your sleeping hot along with your elevated pressures. Breathing against a closed airway/glottis (expiratory snoring) is a likely cause.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
My wife and I purchased a sleep number about 10 years ago , at that time we purchased the higher end one. We love it , I like firm so set mine on 90 , she prefers softer so 50 for her. Never had any issues , I occasionally have some lower back issues , most of the time if I go to bed with a little bit of a sore back it is gone in the morning

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
To anyone who has elevated blood pressure carries some extra weight around, likes to have a few drinks before bed, and has a wife that complains of your snoring, go get a sleep study done. A CPAP unit can change your life, likely contributes to your sleeping hot along with your elevated pressures. Breathing against a closed airway/glottis (expiratory snoring) is a likely cause.

I did that and slept with it for a year. I have friends that swear by it. I swear at it. I am more rested without it. They say they improved mine I dont know if it was their improvement or my last surgery, but I can not tolerate it now.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member

Wow this just hit home HARD. Going thru this right now. I never used to snore. Apparently now its all I do. And I do enjoy a whiskey or 2 at night. Overweight, underpaid and wife that wakes up most mornings in a full rage that I kept her up all night. I didnt believe her until she recorded it.. Maybe its time I check into it. But at 39 I just don't feel like I need one yet.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
my wife got a temper pedic with out my knowledge i was not to happy but now i love that damn thing and cant wait to get home after being gone to sleep on it.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recall now that when we first bought one many years ago we were very tempted to return it after week 2 or 3. It's just so "different" than a traditional that you're weirded out by it and it's very unsettling somehow to your spine/hips/etc. Not uncomfortable - just odd feeling.

Then, in another week's time, it was suddenly (and still is) heaven. Very strange indeed.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
We just purchased some Temperpedic pretty sure anyway, its a cooling mattress, with a cooling mattress pad, and cooling pillows.
I sleep great for about 4 hours, then toss the rest of the night, as I get hot, then cold, then tired on one side, and hot again, cold...etc..

Wife lays down, covers up and doesn't move the entire night, I have on occasion woke up and had to feel her, as I get spooked she might have passed she sleeps so still and well.

I am 50lbs over weight, drink fairly often, and have high blood pressure that I do take a pill for, but guessing these 3 factors are the cause, not the new mattress. Mrs johnr is 10lbs under weight, has a glass of wine maybe every other day, and has perfect blood pressure, sleeps like royalty.

Damn wish I didn't enjoy food and whiskey as much as I do. I know when I drop some pounds I always sleep better.

Grope grope....sorry honey checking for a pulse....sure johnr I’m betting the Mrs. is hip to that little game

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trying out the Purple Hybrid 2 tonight for the first time. I dig the adjustable base so far. You know you’re getting older when a bed change is an exciting event that can be used extensively in dinner conversation.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are they resistant to squeaking in deer camp say once snoring begins?

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody ever experienced any serious night sweating action on tempur pedic mattresses? We have an adjustable queen that we moved to a guest BR in favor of a king now. Im 1 1/2 years new to them now but been wondering why I get so damn hot and wake up to soaked sheets and pillow cases these days at 3 am.

Before I go spending $250 more on a slumbercloud topper and/or bamboo/plant based sheets I figured I'd ask if anybody has experienced the same nightmare with memory foam. Not liking the thought of buying another new bed and moving any of the cs'ers around again but very sick of moving to the couch in the middle of the night as well.

I must give off some serious heat as the Mrs is always freezing at night and with a 19 MO a good night of sleep is very underrated these days. Pretty sure I could fry an egg where I lay for a couple hours. #missmyoldfaithful #menneverwin

Alcohol withdrawals

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 118
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73