Pork butt injection

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
your a liar if you aint hitting that shit after about 10 beers and single

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update - I would rate these butts an 8.5 compared to previous foil-tented versions. The majority of the shoulder was perfect - but had some drier meat toward the edges.

From now on I'll reach in and tent them IN PLACE after 12 hours. I won't move them, pick them up, etc. because then they become "bleeders" and make a mess of the smoker and lose more juice than the tenting would save. The alternative is pulling them out and fully wrapping them top and bottom - but that's a PITA I'd like to avoid if possible.

ALways learning.

Hamm's

Founding Member
Founding Member
A guy on some BBQ show I watched years back recommended injecting with Classic Coke. Claimed the acid would help tenderize the meat and the sugar would help sweeten it. I've done it several times but can't honestly say I noticed a difference.

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
did one last week for wifes christmas party. Low and slow with just a dry rub then wrapped with butter, brown sugar and honey. There was none left at the end of the night

Butt injections at your wifes christmas party? Did you at least take some pictures?

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
THIS! Adding your juices back in after shredding is the ticket. I always finish mine in the oven as it it easier to save the juices in a roaster rather than tinfoil. Just don't over-do-it and add to much as things can get mushy.

acid is a pork butts friend .... rub down good with mustard before applying any rub, this allows the rub to adhere better, then I usually let sit in fridge overnight, another key is to bring the meat up to room temp prior to throwing in smoker. I go 4-5 hours until internal temp is around 165, spritzing with apple cider worchestshire mix(more acid), then foil and wait until IT hits 195-200 then pull set in cooler with towel for an hour or so. Another key is if you are shredding it, after you shread it sprinkle a little more of what ever rub you used, and throw in container with any left over juices, and let them soak into the shredded meat

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have nightmares about some of the pork butt I injected in college.

★ Legendary Member
I cut the top of the butts 1inch deep like a checker board, cover with dry rub for 12hrs....keep the butt in a foil pan to collect all juice. Smoke for 12plus hrs 225 depending on size pull and pour juice back in and the meet soaks it up. The checkerboard approach allow more pieces of bark/turds like guy and I like. More surface area for the smoke to hit.
Do you guys make your own rub or use a premade version?

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Instead of injecting I decided to marinated it. 4 cups apple cider, 4 cups water, 1 cup sugar, 1\2 cup of each, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and salt. Put in a plastic container and added enough water to cover the butt.

Just dry rubbed it this morning. :;:smokin 1/8 cup brown sugar, 3 TBS kosher salt, 1 TBS each black pepper, chili powder, smoked paprika, 1/2 TBS each of granulated onion and garlic, cumin and dried dill weed. Slathered it with mustard before dry rub was put on.

It will go on the smoker at 6 tomorrow morning using pecan biscuits and spritzed with apple juice for around 8 hours at 225. Wrapped in foil and placed into the oven at 300 for 2 hours.

D2720A2F-546D-4C2A-B260-91CAD5D57D10.jpg

Last edited:

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's interesting reading everyone's methods and theories and then comparing all the different variations that I have tried. For me I have seen the biggest difference by utilizing good quality wood splits and temp management when using my offset. I think one of our favorites to this day is about as basic as a guy can get for a big chunk o' pork and that was a solid coating of kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper applied the night before, rested in fridge and taken out shortly before the smoker is ready. I have gone away from letting most items going on the smoker to warm to room temp from the stand point of food safety but more so I feel I get better smoke flavor. I like this article and especially the part halfway down of food and smoke
https://amazingribs.com/more-techni...iring/what-you-need-know-about-wood-smoke-and
As for injection I have tried Butcher BBQ Original Pork and Open Pit (my preference is to mix them 50/50) and I am doing it mostly to add a different flavor down into the muscle, it really shines when I do a whole hog. I don't inject often but when I do we really enjoy it and when I don't we equally enjoy it. The mustard thing I have tried a side by side comparison keeping everything as equal as possible on pork butts, ribs, even brisket and found there was really no noticeable difference besides more mess to clean up but on occasion I still do it. I guess I haven't settled on an exact way of this is how it must be done every time mostly because I like experiments and seeing what different flavors or results I can get or even if there is much different from KISS rule vs elaborate concoctions, foil vs butcher paper vs no wrap on ribs side by side was interesting this year.

Tikka I will be checking in to see the yummy results

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
This turned out amazing. Very tender and juicy with great smoke flavor.

B6EC1EE1-5215-4808-9C99-4B4C9DA71AF9.jpg
Have these on the smoker now. Christmas Eve appetizers. Smoked queso dip and poppers.

6AB2236E-E055-43D5-A109-528B6FF5FCA7.jpg
87B23B7D-8F8B-4FF8-ABC9-4641B7E96815.jpg

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Smoked a shoulder today and got thinking about this thread. Cut slits in it and stuffed about 20 cloves of garlic into it, then rubbed it and stuck it in the fridge overnight. If you like garlic - and who doesn't - adds another layer to it. Garlic comes out nice and soft, so we just squashed it and mixed it in with the pork. Never tried that before, but will probably do it every time now.

CWS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Injected a few times and really didn't notice any difference. Once used Dr. Pepper (brother in laws advice) and i felt there was no benefit. Other that the pork doubling in size after injection, which just looks cool. I dont do it anymore.

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
Damn near thought this turned into an X rated site for a second....

Nevertheles....Nothing but a dry rub and I do mop mine.

Key is wrapping it in a couple towels and letting it sit in a cooler for a few hours.

I did too - was expecting to see Kermit the Frog or .....nevermind.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74