Pork butt injection

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to smoke a pork butt Sunday. Have never injected one. Thinking I am going to try it.

Has anyone tried injecting one and how did you like it?

Got a favorite recipe and method?

Thanks!!

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you done pork butt before, curious as to why you think it needs injection?

...or what benefits do you feel injecting will do? just curious have never injected one either

Pedro

Established Member
I mix bbq with apple juice. Shoot it right thru the cryovac. I skipped the injection last couple I’ve made and nobody could really notice.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have never injected - seems unnecessary.

Memphis rub, fridge for 24 hrs, molasses/mustard slather, into the smoker, smoke until they look like asteroid turds or whatever (ask Bedwetter - he's the giant turd expert).

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Damn near thought this turned into an X rated site for a second....

Nevertheles....Nothing but a dry rub and I do mop mine.

Key is wrapping it in a couple towels and letting it sit in a cooler for a few hours.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have never injected - seems unnecessary.

Memphis rub, fridge for 24 hrs, molasses/mustard slather, into the smoker, smoke until they look like asteroid turds or whatever (ask Bedwetter - he's the giant turd expert).

Guy do you foil them at all, or spritz them, or do you just go low and slow and let them do their thing?

cobbwubs

I injected them the first half a dozen times, but wasn't happy with the moisture content left in the PB. Since then I've brined them in a simple brine for 12 hours, dried, left the rub on for a few hours and then smoked with much better results. I heard the brine helps pull the smoke into the meat.

I smoke uncovered at 225 until 145-150 degrees, then wrap the whole thing in foil until it reaches 200+. If I want to speed things up I'll turn the smoker up to 300, otherwise I turn it up to 250-275. I don't spritz. I still get a nice bark on it.

and yes, let it sit for at least a couple hours after it comes out of the smoker.

Last edited:

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
There should be enough fat in there that injection is not needed. I smoke mine for 4 hours and then continue cooking at 225 until the stall (150-160 ish), wrap in foil and continue cooking until 201. Wrap in towels and put it in a cooler for one hour.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did this concoction a few weeks back.. turned out splendid
Place pork shoulder in large pot- add enough apple cider to cover roast- cover pot and refrigerate 12 hours.
For the rub.. white sugar, brown sugar, salt, paprika, onion powder, black pepper and garlic powder. Mix about 1/4 cup sugar rub into the cider, save the remaining rub for later.
After the 12 hrs pour the cider brine into the water pan of smoker, add onion and a little more sugar rub..spread remaining rub over pork shoulder. Put in preheated smoker..210 degrees. Smoke about 8 hrs. adding flavored chips of your choosing. I think i used apple wood add more wood, water as needed.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
did one last week for wifes christmas party. Low and slow with just a dry rub then wrapped with butter, brown sugar and honey. There was none left at the end of the night

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to smoke a pork butt Sunday. Have never injected one. Thinking I am going to try it.

Has anyone tried injecting one and how did you like it?

Got a favorite recipe and method?

waste of time,brine in brown sugar/koshat salt for 24 hrs,then rinse and lather in yellow mustard.add a dry rub of you're liking,back in the fridge over night is best then smoke with applewood or pecan wood 3-5 hours at 225 ,spray apple juice/cider vinegar towards the end.

If you want pulled pork,give the roast more apple juice spray wrap in foil in the oven at 200degrees for 2 more hours ...and BAM.pulled pork sammies.

Old st paul bbq pit master gave me his dry rub recipe one day,he had a corner outdoor bbq stand on weekends downtown st paul,old cut in half 50gal drum for a bbq/smoker,I would be the only white guy lapping up his ribs,he told me "low n slow" so get a 12 pack of colt 45 and relax serve no swine before its time" translation can't over do pork low and slow.

PS If you don't want to wait a couple days to complete the process of brining etc and have a vacum sealer pour a wet marinaid in a sealer bag after you dry rub the roast,seal let stand in a cool place/fridge for a couple hours.done deal,this works great for pork, chicken,lamb etc,vacum sucks in all the nummy stuff.

Last edited:

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
acid is a pork butts friend .... rub down good with mustard before applying any rub, this allows the rub to adhere better, then I usually let sit in fridge overnight, another key is to bring the meat up to room temp prior to throwing in smoker. I go 4-5 hours until internal temp is around 165, spritzing with apple cider worchestshire mix(more acid), then foil and wait until IT hits 195-200 then pull set in cooler with towel for an hour or so. Another key is if you are shredding it, after you shread it sprinkle a little more of what ever rub you used, and throw in container with any left over juices, and let them soak into the shredded meat

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy do you foil them at all, or spritz them, or do you just go low and slow and let them do their thing?

I don’t spritz because that slather turns into a hard barky “shell” that I want to act as an evaporation block. Why loosen or otherwise mess with that property? I have smoker at 210 BTW.

I usually never even look at them unless there’s trouble. I foil wrap after maybe 12 hours (start of the stall), then keep heating until 190-195 IT. When they are done I wrap foiled butt in a towel and put in cooler to rest.

But foiling can be messy/hassle - this last time I just let em buck (let the stall happen) using an Inkbird four probe thermometer to watch all four. I pulled one, then two, then the last... when they were ready (190-195). There was a 3 hour spread.

Warming one in sous vide right now for company pot luck. I worry they’re drier than usual (the usual being incredibly juicy). But as I took them off the rack they began spewing juice all over (because I just "broke" the juice barrier) - so I’m thinking they’re good.

I always smoke fat cap down - IMO it acts as an impermeable bowl to hold juices in. It also acts as a sacrificial release when getting the butts off a rack after 16 hours. The “meat side” on top has a brown/black turtle shell that holds juice in. The fact they leaked juice like a sieve when I pulled them after 16-20 hours (can't recall exactly) tells me that slather, combined with fat side down, works for me.

Last edited:

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never injected a butt, although I'm rarely against adding more liquid and flavor to a big piece of meat. I think a finishing sauce is about the most important thing you can "add" to a pork butt cook. Also, I don't like the hard burnt bark like Guy's azteroid turds. I wrap in butcher paper (not foil) when it hit's the stall, anywhere from 150-165* F.....Cook until probe tender, not a specific temp the internet tells you to. Every piece of meat is different.

shedwalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
As a winner of 2 State cook-off competitions I can tell you we never injected. The roast was inspected at 7:00 am to make sure no marinade or rub was used. The inspection was put in place because everyone said to me there's no way you can get a Boston butt that tender. After inspection we used a simple rub and placed the butt in a special marinade for an hour. Sorry I can't give the recipe as we may start cooking again. My partner did his magic on the smoker and we came up with back to back championships. The judging took place at 3:00 so you had 8 hours of cooking.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
3dfad2d8f9f6552590112071d245887f_xl.jpg
Here's an injected pork butt.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Auggie that is just nasty....think I'll pass on lunch today ishta....f'ing skank.

- - - Updated - - -

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
After seeing that ;:;barf:bigpuke:I think I will put the pork butt back in the freezer. Thanks Auggie!......................Ya jack ass. ;:;rofl

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77