How early for Trail Cams ?

randyspringer

What’s the earliest (in CA)y’all would put out trail cams to see what deer are in the area and try to find a nice buck?
Thanks

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
A bit more info would be a good thing. Are you in Californistan due to the (in CA), in Texas due to your stated location, or some other area? Is this on public or private land? Big Timber or Farmland? Over food plot and if so what kind? Archery or Rifle? What is the access like, meaning walk in only or can you drive to the camera locations? Information such as this would weigh heavily on when and where I put out cameras. Thanks!!

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your not afraid of getting them stolen, I would think anytime would work. Easier to pattern different seasons, temps etc.....

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Year round for me. Besides in ND got some up in Canada but have been unable to get to them for the last year and a half and it looks like it may be more time before i get to see what is on them. About 500 miles north bury in the forest and will be great to get to them some day.
Love the pictures and what may come on including shed hunting maybe even more than the harvest which i do not do much anymore. Trail cameras have come a long ways since i began with home made ones and sending the film away to see mainly grass blowing in the wind. Nice color and good quality now. Learn a lot of how to place for a decent setting with the deer. Nice backgrounds and it has work good over man made scrapes. db

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Usually wait until the end of July, less ticks and can usually target the bachelor groups by then so fewer doe/fawn pics.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Used to leave out from July - January. Now with cellular cams I leave them year round .

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Something is fishy about this "RandySpringer" guy. He's posted 4 new threads since July, all of them fairly vague, and then never replies to the thread again. He claims to be in TX, but is asking some location-specific things on a ND forum. On the other hand, his posts are largely sensible and are about hunting and fishing. Something is off about "him", but other than proving that your "bot" can post to forums somewhat intelligently, I can't understand the point of it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80