Henry Long Ranger

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I feel peep sites are more accurate than open sites as one will have a tendency to shoot high with open sites when one is nervous, scare and someone is shooting back at you.
In a fire fight i assume i would not aim but aim with the barrel and using tracer rounds to help out. That is when a m60 work really well when i used it.
there was a time when the army wanted single shot springfiled to slow down the shooting to consever bullets and to have the soldier aim. Was no match for those first lever action winchester rifles.
I did receive training shooting a bb gun with no sites while in the army. Anyways i never did like the peep site but feel it is better than open sites if one is to aim.

- - - Updated - -
yes, i to believe in the old weapons and calibers for what they are.

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The old 788 Rem. Not pretty but dam accurate. Still have 3 of them. One in 308 that I bought new for 139.00 in early 70's. One 22-250 from a hard up drunk in the bar for 100.00 and another 22-250 in 1978 for 179.00 at a sporting goods store. Replaced all the stocks with composite stocks cause I dont like the shine when hunting. Clips are real hard to come by for these guns I have found out. LB

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMHO: Any levergun not dependent upon rim headspace is superfluous as accuracy negates effective range and design requires a homely appearance. I'm aware of available mods. A proper levergun handles like a fitted scattergun and kills out to 200yds. Fuck a damn peep sight--Alvin York;)

- - - Updated - - -

And I agree. Why would the military require you require you to engage from a tiny gd hole under fire?!!-- Govt retardation.

- - - Updated - - -

Enlarge the hole and provide a red dot...more bullshit. Infantry should be trained in a blend of shotgun shooting and slow fire. With '03 or '47 sighting.

Pass me a ghost-ring rear, you can keep your notch and BB. SO much easier to gun open sights w/both eyes open when gunning an aperture rear very close to your eyes vs. a notch well ahead of them.

Shooting with one eye closed is for people who didn't have a parent teach them to shoot the hand of their dominant eye or haven't learned not to eat their own boogers well into adulthood.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This thread takes me back to when I started rifle hunting for deer. My dad bought me my first deer rifle back in the 70's sometime. He got me a model 99 lever in the 243. It must be a cheaper model because the wood on it isn't very nice. I never did put a scope on it, just shot the open sights as that fit perfect for how we hunted at that time. (Never had trouble shooting a running deer until I got a scope.) Lots of walking and the deer were usually pretty close when we kicked them up and running like a scalded dog. I shot that gun for quite a few years until I finally decided to buy a bigger one. Bought myself a model 78 rem in 270. Had trouble with the soft stock and the barrel sinking in. Couldn't keep it floating. I finally scraped up enough money to get a fancy synthetic stock and still shoot that rifle to this day. I bought my first 22 that was a Rem pump with open sights. Still have the gun and still shoot it open sights. Love that little pump. Great memories of deer hunting with my whole family! Thanks for the reminders guys.

Fish On!

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also have a 770 Winchester in 06 that I would like to get fitted to my wife. Any of you guys have much time behind one of these? Would I be better off leaving it alone and getting her something else?

Any post-64 M70 stock should fit your 770. If you source a hinged floor-plate/trigger-guard then you could use a stock inletted for same. The blind magazine limits your choices as there just weren't a lot of M70's that came that way. There was a run of Walmart M70's that had a blind bottom and also M70 XTR "Winlights" stocked w/McMillans that were also blind bottoms. Your action will accept both the 1-piece or 2-piece bottom metal, just match it to whatever your replacement stock is inletted for.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pass me a ghost-ring rear, you can keep your notch and BB. SO much easier to gun open sights w/both eyes open when gunning an aperture rear very close to your eyes vs. a notch well ahead of them.

Shooting with one eye closed is for people who didn't have a parent teach them to shoot the hand of their dominant eye or haven't learned not to eat their own boogers well into adulthood.

Shoot with both open despite a slight cross dominance problem. Used to shoot bats out of the air with my 880 before I knew that was bad. Not too shabby on hand tossed clays with a .22 (back in the day). By no means the end all be all of small arms and still maintain my position.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
It was sure fun to shoot a doe this year with my Henry big boy 41 mag, clean pass through on the engine room at 150 yards on the run did the job with a Keith style cast bullet, the gun is so much fun to shoot

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just read about the Henry. Not a bad looking gun. Still prefer the lines of a Win or Marlin.

Henry purports speedy follow up shots and bolt gun accuracy. I still maintain a levergun is a handy 200yd weapon and extended range cartridges are superfluous to the intent. I will concede the usefulness of a comfortable, easy-pointing rifle in a dual role if the rifle is proven accurate.

IMO: A "quick" second shot at extended range should not be a consideration in choosing a hunting rifle.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd much prefer a Savage 99, BLR, or Marlin pretty much in that order. Actually, if I HAD to use a lever or REALLY got the itch I'd probably find myself a Sako FinnWolf or would slum a Win 88.

I won a Henry 22LR 4-5yrs ago that hasn't made it out of the box yet..........

With the Henry, same. I got one in the box still too..

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80