Triggers

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
60 years ago when I first got a used Remington 721 270. I knew nothing about triggers, but little did I know that the trigger had been reworked to about 3# no creep. Since that time I have been fortunate to have access to a gunsmith to handle that so the rifles I own all are about the same.

So do most of you rework your bolt action triggers or install custom? If custom what is the preferred brand?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I adjust factory triggers for the most part. I do have Timney and Shilen in a couple of target rifles. I’ve worked with Rifle Basix triggers that others own. The Shilen is my favorite aftermarket trigger.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do both. I’ll tune the old walker style 700 triggers. For aftermarket, I use jewell triggers. I use the walker style triggers for hunting. I use jewells for varmint and target.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do my own work zogman. I dont jump and shoot deer, I sit on a high vantage point and shoot long range. I have a couple knock around guns with 3 to to 4 pound triggers, but my 300 mag is set at 1lb 12 oz. Most are set at 1lb 8 oz to 2 pounds. I put a Timney in my 300, but took it out because I liked the factory Remington more. I had a Timney in the AR I sold and liked that. I have put Powder River in my sdmi auto handguns. Some in Springield XDMs and one in a Ruger Mark4. Only have the Ruger now.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there a market for factory 700 triggers? I put timneys in and will likely never sell the rifles. One is from the 90s and one is a newer xmark that was recalled. Do people rework them? Or would it be irresponsible to sell since it was recalled?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
All I know is if the triggers gold the buck will fold....

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
xmark that was recalled.

Remington is stuborn when it comes to fixing things. It could be a simple springvreplacement and they will not send it to you they demand you send the entire rifle. I stripped a screw head once and they would not send me a simple screw. However I had a trigger you mentioned in a XR100 Rangemaster. The flashing in some cast part hung up the steel ball that moves back and fourth as you adjust the trigger. They told me I had to send it to them. I told them with prairie dogs on my list in the near future no way I would just have to be very careful since the gun had fired twice when I closed the bolt. Wow attitud changed in a flash. They asked who with an FFL could they send a new trigger for me. So I installed the new trigger, took a screw fom the old trigger in that gun. used that screw to replace the stripped screw in my old trigger which I put back in my 300 WM. I took the Timney out of that. I think I only run a dozen rounds through the rifle with that Timney. Its still kicking around in my parts drawer. I did like the skelotonized Timney that was in the AR15 that I had.

Last edited:

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Over the course of time I have had 4 Remington 700 rifles. All have been older. 1969 6MM, 1980 270, 1984 270, a 308 not sure when built. Anyway all of those have had the Remington triggers reworked at this point successfully.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
A person can turn an old 700 trigger (not x-mark, they are garbage) into a light, crisp trigger. Are they a Timney or Jewell? Of course not. But if you spend enough time on them they can be so close to an aftermarket trigger its not funny.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there a market for factory 700 triggers? I put timneys in and will likely never sell the rifles. One is from the 90s and one is a newer xmark that was recalled. Do people rework them? Or would it be irresponsible to sell since it was recalled?

X-mark triggers will fetch $15-20 and that’s if you can actually find someone looking for one. You almost can’t give them away. The older walker style triggers will bring $50ish. A reworked walker style trigger by a known trigger guru will bring $75-85.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good thread. A trigger is something that is largely overlooked, but can make a dramatic difference in your shooting. I've had buddys rifles that I think should shoot better, and then I try them out and I immediately see why. Some of them, especially in ARs, you need a fricken come-along to pull, and then it feels like you're pulling a cinder block through a mile-long stump field.

While rifle manufacturers have been paying attention to their triggers a lot more in recent years and have improved them a lot, just about any high-end custom trigger (Timney, Jewel, TriggerTech, AR gold) is going to be miles ahead of a factory trigger.

IME...
The Timney Calvin Elite is a pretty fantastic 700 trigger.
For AR triggers, it's hard to beat Geissele. The only problem with them is figuring out which model you want.

One warning though: Triggers are like scopes. Once you buy a really nice one, you'll want one for all your rifles.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very profound!

"One warning though: Triggers are like scopes. Once you buy a really nice one, you'll want one for all your rifles.!"

;:;banghead I have been doing it wrong. Triggers first. Now upgrading my optics.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn.. thought you were talking Westerns
Trigger

Trigger (July 4, 1934 – July 3, 1965) was a 15.3 hands (63 inches, 160 cm) palomino horse made famous in American Western films with his owner and rider, cowboy star Roy Rogers.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
1lb Jewells for me, hunting or target.
Also have a Rifle Basix on a rifle which is decent. Probably around 2lbs.
Got a new build in the works and trying out my first Trigger Tech. This one adjusts from 1-3.
Been so used to my 1lb Jewells I tried shooting a factory Rem 700 300wm and it felt like a 7lb POS. Shot like shit. Finished out with a group with one of my rifles just to reinstall confidence again.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70