New Here Looking to Learn

Lando

Established Member
I live in Cody, WY, about 50 miles from Yellowstone. I fly fish and do some guiding for trout in the summer. When I get to fish for myself, I don't want to chase trout, so I will target carp, smallies, but pike are my new addiction. I would like to haul the boat east and check out ND. I have fished for pike in SD a bit, but want to make a big road trip this spring and was thinking exploring ND a bit.

BFBA77AD-D565-40B1-90CD-571909097860.jpgCA67E3C8-6DF9-4040-9B68-27E8D1EC3BBB.jpg

I hope you all will have me.......

325AF4AC-8EC3-4348-AB79-375FA15DF871 (1).jpg

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Snot rockets are highly prized in ND due to their suitability for pickling. There are some small lakes here that have pretty good pike ice fishing during the spawn in February/March. Unfortunately I’m not allowed to name names here. :)

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pike are plentiful here, both Sakakawea and Devils Lake offer great pike fishing, Oahe might be a half step behind them.

Since it's our state fish, you can find them in just about every body of water across ND. Good luck and enjoy the chase.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have a ton of lakes that have many pike less than 10 lbs with most closer to 5 lbs. Then we have a handful of waters like those mentioned, Sakakawea, Oahe, Devils Lake, where catching pike larger than 10 lbs is more realistic. If you target pike at Devils Lake, you could easily catch 50 in a day...most will be in that 3-6lb range. Early June is a great time to find them in the shallows as the water is still warming but not too warm yet.

Last edited:

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
You'll find some giants in devils and Sak..They eat like kings in these lakes especially but you'll find them almost anywhere you go around the state.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh, and lest we forget. There are a few tiger muskie and pure muskies in a handful of our lakes as well. Mostly the smaller lakes, but Audubon should be producing some decent sized fish pretty soon.

And yes, I do know a few people who chase pike with fly rods. Mostly on our smaller lakes though.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Snot rockets are highly prized in ND due to their suitability for pickling. There are some small lakes here that have pretty good pike ice fishing during the spawn in February/March. Unfortunately I’m not allowed to name names here. :)
Don’t worry since he is a fly fisherman from WY he is probably going to release them like they do those nasty trout!

- - - Updated - - -

I live in Cody, WY, about 50 miles from Yellowstone. I fly fish and do some guiding for trout in the summer. When I get to fish for myself, I don't want to chase trout, so I will target carp, smallies, but pike are my new addiction. I would like to haul the boat east and check out ND. I have fished for pike in SD a bit, but want to make a big road trip this spring and was thinking exploring ND a bit.

1681155471137.png1681155503870.png

I hope you all will have me.......

anti sieze.jpg

What you looking to catch? Numbers of fish or looking for big ones? The big lakes have some good fishing for big ones but not sure how concentrated they are. If you want numbers there are a ton of small lakes with average size pike cast after cast. Also depending when you come through will determine where the best fishing is. You should check back in March to see how the thaw is going. Lake Irvine might be a good place to try too.

Lando

Established Member
You don't have to worry about me keeping any fish.....especially on the road. As for what I would like to catch-I will be with my girl, so it would be nice to have a 36+ fish follow or eat every other cast. However, that is just a dream, so numbers over size would be good. But it doesn't help that she has stuck some very large pike of her own fly ties. Top water would be a plus, but I would like to toss larger flies if appropriate.

CDC35ED6-6210-43BD-8F2D-E583D55FB1BA.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 8.23.56 PM.jpg

(that's a super small fly, BTW)

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No telling what you'll hook with a big streamer year round in the Garrison Tailrace. Pike are well fed on fingerling trout around the boat ramp.

Both numbers and size anywhere around Lake Darling or Audubon.

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just don't EVER put your fingers in its mouth like that Dumbazz in the picture. His fingers are millimeters away from having the flesh torn off by razor sharp teeth.

Lando

Established Member
Yeah, that's my finger. It seems you already know me all too well.

11093C63-78CF-4E62-A35A-3AA2B19D3B51.jpg

I do have tools and know how to use them.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of pike in Sakakwea, and the Missouri river south.

I forget the numbers, but my largest was a bruiser caught while wading one morning, throwing cranks for walleyes.

pike.jpg

This was a few years ago, but was a fun fish.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had really good luck on the lakes by Napoleon. Nice pike (most around 7-10 lbs, just an estimate) and almost non stop action. It gets almost no fishing pressure and a good shore for wading. The down side is that it gets blue green algae by July but if you had a small boat you should be able to avoid it. Let me know if you need a good location. There aren't a lot of places with public access. Most people in North Dakota could care less about pike but they sure are fun to catch. Keep as many as you can legally.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76