Is there any smelt?

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't seem to find any decent smelt around the Fargo area. All I can find is herring that I am not interested in. The pike I fish for are not monsters so I do not need large bait. As far as hotdogs go, I seem to have better luck with the 4"-5" smelt. Anyone know of any place to get some?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Econo Foods in Wahpeton should have them, unless there has been a big run on them. I have seen quite a few bags in the size that you want. Its been the 6" to 8'' that have been hard to get. I would call first.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've seen some in Petro Serve in Valley City. Probably carry them in one of the Fargo ones.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
They’re hard to find in Bismarck too. All the stores seem to carry the same brand and they’re minnow sized smelt this year. You can cut herring in half if they’re bigger than you like.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go to an Asian market if you have one. In Bismarck, they have a bunch of small, smelt like fish at a good price. We bought anchovies for around 3$ for almost a dozen. About the size of smelt. Also have bigger and smaller kinds of frozen fish.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75