Easy winter

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
We are driving down to Alabama for about 10 days mid Feb so i imagine we going to be in blizzard conditions the day we are set to leave.;:;boohoo

what part of Alabama? We’re headed to gulf shores sooner than later by car...so expect a wide swath of blizzard

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
what part of Alabama? We’re headed to gulf shores sooner than later by car...so expect a wide swath of blizzard

We stayed at Gulf Shores 2 years ago. VRBO right across the street from beach. We are staying at a VRBO cottage at Dauphin Island this year. Dauphin Island is just to the west of Gulf Shores. Bout a 25 hr drive from Devils. We don't kill ourselves driving non stop.. 2..10-11hr drives and then a short 4 hr.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
We stayed at Gulf Shores 2 years ago. VRBO right across the street from beach. We are staying at a VRBO cottage at Dauphin Island this year. Dauphin Island is just to the west of Gulf Shores. Bout a 25 hr drive from Devils. We don't kill ourselves driving non stop.. 2..10-11hr drives and then a short 4 hr.

Sounds about like our plan. Have a vrbo on the beach in gulf shores.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just hope for good snows/rains in Montana to boost the system.

You know what they say, you can wish in one hand and crap in the other, and see which one fills up first. Dry as a bone out here. A little snow in the mountains, but not much. The headwater basins are 15-20% below average for snowpack so far

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Looked up the long range forcast, looks very mild all the way to spring. Little snow here and there but no really cold spells. Hope they are right.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
off02_temp.gif

and

off02_prcp.gif

These are the official long-range outlooks issued by the Climate Prediction Center.

They have been calling for a cool and wet winter for our area since early last fall, I think it's mostly due to the La Nina pattern in place out in the Pacific. While the early expectation was that Dec was going to be pretty mild, at this point its probably fair to say that the extent of that mildness has long outlasted earlier expectations. And that is especially true with the short-term forecast calling for above normal temps through the next couple weeks.

814temp.new.gif

That will put us well past the middle of January, and at that point we can almost smell spring.

I'll let you all decide how much faith you want to put in the outlooks, I tend to have mixed results when I depend on them.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You know what they say, you can wish in one hand and crap in the other, and see which one fills up first. Dry as a bone out here. A little snow in the mountains, but not much. The headwater basins are 15-20% below average for snowpack so far

Fly...sure hope the mountains pick up some good moisture the next 90 days. Thought over the weekend they were projecting several systems to come on the NW coast...but not sure how that effects moisture for the northern Rockies?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm good with a warmer than average winter...can get the boat out of storage earlier than expected. But man I hope we aren't at the beginning of another long dry spell...was really enjoying the expanded water area on Sak!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hope the mild temps hold out as we just got hosed with freezing rain. Could lock up food sources for the critters pretty good if we don't thaw out. I HATE FREEZING RAIN!!!!! Nothing, and I mean nothing, sentences critters to the slow death of winter starvation like freezing rain. Grrrrr!!

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update: got to Dauphin Island Alabama saturday afternoon. Icy roads north of Memphis friday on the way down. Temps didnt get above 30 degrees until about Tupelo Miss. Cold(36-50 degrees) windy rainy here thus far. At least the beer is cold! Looks like central U.S. will be having freezing rain/snow for the return trip thur. Polar Vortex indeed!!

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Update: got to Dauphin Island Alabama saturday afternoon. Icy roads north of Memphis friday on the way down. Temps didnt get above 30 degrees until about Tupelo Miss. Cold(36-50 degrees) windy rainy here thus far. At least the beer is cold! Looks like central U.S. will be having freezing rain/snow for the return trip thur. Polar Vortex indeed!!

You called it a month ago...dead nuts. ;:;bowdown

Since you seem to have the gift, how about something a little riskier...will I draw a ND bighorn sheep tag this year?

Last edited:

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member

Just curious how many swear words have you said on your journey???

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
You called it a month ago...dead nuts. ;:;bowdown

Since you seem to have the gift, how but something a little riskier...will I draw a ND bighorn sheep tag this year?

ha. Your chances go up applying versus not. haha Good Luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Just curious how many swear words have you said on your journey???

ha Not many. serious haha Beats 30-40 below windchill back home! While it would be nice if it is warmer, our Springer is enjoying the walks just fine. So we are taking the same type attitude. But yeah! Would be great if it was 55-65!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76