Does anyone here target carp?

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
About 18 years ago I caught a 34 lb buffalo on a live bait rig with a nightcrawler in Van Hook fishing for walleye. 6 years ago caught a 32 lber in Garrison bay again on a nightcrawler. Every summer I see a lot on Sak in the shallows. I have seen some that I am sure have to be close to 50 lbs. Interesting fish for sure. The biggens usually have a few smaller carp swimming with them. Reminds of how pilot fish swim with sharks in the ocean.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good thread. We've got a couple lakes here with lots of them. I have always been told it is the bonefishing of the Dakota's. Very challenging to say the least. I may have to take the 6 weight out and give it a go. Just started tying flies and see there are some fun carp patterns to look at too. Can't imagine what a big carp pulls like!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Diaper Bay. That name makes me laugh every time.

Rod - $100-$1200. 6-8 weight. Sky's the limit. Casts are short if you're doing it right, no need to spend big money on a super lightweight fast action rod. I've switched to an 8 weight custom glass rod for carping. It's a blast.

Reel - $75-$450. Large arbor, lots of backing capacity, good drag system. I have a few saltwater setups with spare spools that pull double duty as carp reels.

Line - $35-$110. any general purpose line to match your rod weight. Again, if you sneak up close like you should, the line plays a very small role.

Leaders/tippet - $15-$50. 9 foot, 0x to 3x mono leader with corresponding size of flouro tippet material. Go as high quality as your wallet allows. This is the crucial connection. For big fish like on Audubon and the canals, I switched to a bimini twist leader/tippet connection.

I'm planning a trip back home this summer. We should make Dane trolling motor us around while we chase ol' rubberlips

Man! That would be fun. I've caught them before, as bycatch, while fishing for other species. They, and freshwater drum, are like hooking a John Deere. Snagged one this fall, in the dorsal fin in the current, and it took me 10 minutes to land it. I can't imagine the tussle on light gear. And as said above, there should be pike in the same waters, as well as gar. As a matter of fact, I saw a pretty good sized gar this fall too, after dark.

Diaper bay, early in the morning, would be like glass. You should be able to easily see what's going on, and I have to think it's be a couple three guys giggling like girls, jumping around Dane's boat.

Alternately, just slowly carefully walking around in a foot of water should get the job done too.

I once hooked a LARGE carp in the slack water on the west side of the wingwalls (Garrison Dam tailrace) on a piece of imitation crabmeat from my sammich. That was a half hour well spent. Also, same area, there is a creek by the Downstream Campground that is routinely filled with the big animals.

- - - Updated - - -

Man! That would be fun. I've caught them before, as bycatch, while fishing for other species. They, and freshwater drum, are like hooking a John Deere. Snagged one this fall, in the dorsal fin in the current, and it took me 10 minutes to land it. I can't imagine the tussle on light gear. And as said above, there should be pike in the same waters, as well as gar. As a matter of fact, I saw a pretty good sized gar this fall too, after dark.

Diaper bay, early in the morning, would be like glass. You should be able to easily see what's going on, and I have to think it's be a couple three guys giggling like girls, jumping around Dane's boat.

Alternately, just slowly carefully walking around in a foot of water should get the job done too.

I once hooked a LARGE carp in the slack water on the west side of the wingwalls (Garrison Dam tailrace) on a piece of imitation crabmeat from my sammich. That was a half hour well spent. Also, same area, there is a creek by the Downstream Campground that is routinely filled with the big animals.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnny Ringo: Eventus Stultorum Magister.
[Events are the teachers of fools. - Meaning - "Fools have to learn by experience."]

Lando

Established Member
What takes the most time to learn is what is a "happy" fish, and one that is just cruising by. A lot of guys will look for tails, fish head down rooting in the mud. I have found that these fish, although happy and feeding, are harder to catch than one that is swimming by in a happy manner. The reason I say this is because the fly tends to get caught up in the mud puff. If you try to lead the fish and set the fly in the path you think they may take, they always (well, 99.9% of the time) change direction and swim away from the fly.

136407852_404953877384460_8607514055938377952_n.jpg

What I have the most success with is a fish that is swimming at that perfect speed, coming right at me. I will cast a light leech and try to hit them right next to their "ear" or where it would be located. I will then twitch the fly in front of their face. Watch how they react....keep twitching, and wait for those big yellow lips to open up and suck that fly in. The hardest thing to get down is a nice strip set. Get ready to clear your line and see your backing.

The best time to fish for them is when the sun is the highest in the sky......that 10:00-2:00 is the magical time. Generally the wind is down in the mornings, making spotting fish sooooo much easier, but I have found a big wind will stack fish up into the muddy water filled with food.

136829005_423042868942450_1675962674052618999_n.jpg

136344376_399187411357985_7267308427303513501_n.jpg

Spawning fish are impossible to get to eat. It is so frustrating to see a shit ton of huge fish thrashing about, but no players. I will look for those outlaying fish that aren't interesting in doing the sexy time.

136054559_227996365572850_6042968915386923760_n.jpg

When things get mossy and nasty, I will run that straight fluoro to a light wire hook. Sometimes it gets old landing those medium sized fish-to me it is all about that eat. So when they make those big runs and get all tangled up in the moss, I will simply pull hard and straighten out the hook. Easy way to do a LDR.

136361999_1554683971369169_8594666047489050498_n.jpg

Man, I can't wait for April.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
New Johns has a healthy population of common carp, unfortunately. I have targeted them a few times during mid day with dough balls just for a change of pace. Ritz crackers from my lunch box worked best. Crunch a few crackers up in your hand, add a little water to make it "doughy". Make an olive sized ball and stick the shank of a treble hook through it. Cast that out on the bottom where the carp are moving and hang on.

bigsky2

Common carp are probably my new favorite fish to target. There aren't many other fish that are willing to eat in 2' of water when its 90 degrees out. I think one reason why I like it so much is because it almost feels more like hunting than fishing to me. I still walleye fish but I usually have to deal with crowds when I fish for walleyes, that is not the case with carp. A person doesn't realize how predatory carp can be until you sight fish for them with a fly.

When I was a kid I shot more big buffalo with my bow than I would like to admit. I feel bad about it now knowing how old those fish are. There was one caught in Peck last year that they figure was probably in the river system before the dam was built. I haven't seen any while fishing for carp but I hear buffalo are much tougher to catch.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Common carp are probably my new favorite fish to target. There aren't many other fish that are willing to eat in 2' of water when its 90 degrees out. I think one reason why I like it so much is because it almost feels more like hunting than fishing to me. I still walleye fish but I usually have to deal with crowds when I fish for walleyes, that is not the case with carp. A person doesn't realize how predatory carp can be until you sight fish for them with a fly.

When I was a kid I shot more big buffalo with my bow than I would like to admit. I feel bad about it now knowing how old those fish are. There was one caught in Peck last year that they figure was probably in the river system before the dam was built. I haven't seen any while fishing for carp but I hear buffalo are much tougher to catch.

These are good points. I'm boatless, so I tend to fish a lot more in the spring and fall (along with every other guy around). I tend to fish later at night, to avoid the crowds.

Carp are present during the dog days, in shallow water. Visible even..

Nobody crowding around a known carp-hole. I gotta give this more thought...

Lando

Established Member
Poopfish are legit. Let me know if you need anything.......... I have too much shit and need to do some cleaning.

Lando

Established Member
how do they taste?

I had a friend request that I kept one so he could smoke it. The watershed it came from was clean and cold water, he had the fish 15 minutes after it was caught, and used his father's secret brine. I can honestly say that it was pretty good.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
just about every fish smokes up decent - in fact those with oil content are better

one exception is catfish

ask me how I know

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's what I've heard. I have a buddy in MT that is starting to get them figured out, so now I want to play as well.

Say when.......I have boat, willing to travel.

For rods-make sure it has a fighting butt. I usually run about 6' straight 12 lb floro for a leader.

I'll just haul you two around while I dip into The Oar for a refill on my clam digger.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd rather eat a carp than a trout from most north dakota lakes. Warm water trout taste like crap.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Questions:

Is flyline preserved or is it trimmed when necessary to change leaders? If preserved; how?

Also, I realize the only effective leaders for pike are wire or flouro: Could braided line be used as leader material when line is not expected to be cut?

These questions came to mind today when a friend brought over his son's new baitcasting rig to be filled with 3/10 Spiderwire. They returned to the Wal-Mart quagmire in a sullen manner and bought 8/30.

Strength and diameter aside: Braid is stiff as a candle wick when new and becomes supple as sewing thread with use.

I'd appreciate opinions on it's utility as leader material especially in the context of this and the Pike Thread. Thanks.

Last edited:

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Questions:

Is flyline preserved or is it trimmed when necessary to change leaders? If preserved; how?

Also, I realize the only effective leaders for pike are wire or flouro: Could braided line be used as leader material when line is not expected to be cut?

These questions came to mind today when a friend brought over his son's new baitcasting rig to be filled with 3/10 Spiderwire. They returned to the Wal-Mart quagmire in a sullen manner and bought 8/30.

Strength and diameter aside: Braid is stiff as a candle wick when new and becomes supple as sewing thread with use.

I'd appreciate opinions on it's utility as leader material especially in the context of this and the Pike Thread. Thanks.

Never tried braid, but with big pike flies I think I would still lean on fluoro. I've never done well casting heavier flies on light line. Streamers and such seem to cast better for me with line that has more stiffness. I'm not sure I'd worry about the visibility of braid like some might say, I don't know that is a big deal in most pike waters we fish.

And as far as preservation, you shouldn't have to cut your fly line. Most have loops that allow quick leader changes. Even non looped lines you should be able to switch leaders without cutting if you use the right knot.

Lando

Established Member
Questions:

Loop to loop connections work, so do blood knots. If the line doesnt' have a welded loop already on the line, create your own with some 40 lb test. New leaders come with the loop, but if they don't, hit a perfection loop to create that loop to loop connection.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77