Winter Camping on the Ice - Anyone?

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bring a 5 gallon bucket and heavy duty non leak garbage bags for shitting outside the house. For pissing, drill a hole just short of breaking through by a couple of inches. Keeps the place from looking like a shit hole of piss yellow all over. Do the same for things like sausage water.

as far as i can tell after picking up trash on 6 mile bay most guys leave there shit bags on the ice, the more overnight ice castles the more garbage left on the ice. from shit bags to ice holes used as coolers and left full of frozen beer.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I seriously drilled into someone's shit hole a couple years back. Minding my own business like I always do, and decided to move to a fresh spot. Well we had a couple inches of fresh snow, didnt realize the spot had been used prior, which either way whatever. But as I began to drill the shit flakes started to litter the ice as if I was drilling into the dirt. Quickly realized my error and switched to fresher ice..haha

Nothing like a good shit story to keep us laughing the entire rest of the season.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am going to sleep in my big bed, at my house, with my beautiful wife, and a big smile.

might even pitch a tent if the mood should swing that way.

EBE662AB-CF50-4CD3-AC3B-E5B97E36AE00.jpeg

good luck!

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We used to do "overnighters" in our 8x8 plywood /tarp portables all the time on Sakakawea 15 years ago.

Most of the time we'd used ATV's to travel miles from the accesses and spent multiple nights. And in stupid cold sometimes as well. One night raw temps dropped to -25 and our LP tanks froze up and luckily we got them inside the shacks in time to warm them up enough to get going again. We let four wheelers run most of the night as well.
I really miss doing it, the middle of Sak on a January night in sub zero temps feels about as remote as a person can be.
Would be much more comfortable now with advances in shelters/ lighting, heaters, cell phone coverage etc..

I've read this post about five times and I get it.

This is what it's all about to me in a couple aspects. I mean, how freaking big is Sak?!! I flew over it once from Minot to the dam just before ice-out with a half-crazy pilot and kids in tow. The kids fell asleep while I held my shit in the tinfoil box and pondered doing your post.

Like I said before: I totally get this. How was the fishing?

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fishing is what you make there's fish everywhere on sak and people fish in little 1/2 mile villages if I can see another ice house I'm too close lol I fish in the middle of nowhere on sak all the time the only thing you have to deal with is drilling rigs and flairs as far as noise pollution I like to fish the bear den to skunk area or tobacco to the bridge skipping the villages it's peaceful spent many nights in all sorts of portables from old clam fold ups to flip overs and now hubs are the way for me I've always used a buddy or colman heater never had an issue common sense goes far in shady situations but it's always an experience I started taking my kids last year they are 5 and 7 they do alright but need entertainment for you to relax but great times and memories fish on and go exploring lots of lake out there to try.

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
I've read this post about five times and I get it.

This is what it's all about to me in a couple aspects. I mean, how freaking big is Sak?!! I flew over it once from Minot to the dam just before ice-out with a half-crazy pilot and kids in tow. The kids fell asleep while I held my shit in the tinfoil box and pondered doing your post.

Like I said before: I totally get this. How was the fishing?

We'd always catch fish, but rarely would we drop right on a spot and catch fish right away. (even if we hammered fish there the weekend before) We'd often set up the house Friday afternoon and if things weren't happening we'd run and gun with the four wheelers and find fish and then move the whole outfit if needed. Only thing that really sucked was tearing down and moving those big heavy houses. Like I said before, It would be MUCH easier today with big insulated hubs and foam floors and the other advancements of the last 10 years.

and I'm like cooter... I prefer ice fishing where I cant see, let alone hear, another group.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For me when I used to icefish it had to be on a nice sunshine day. Foldup lawn chair, dark colored clothes and let the sunshine warm the body and heal the soul. Fish or no fish it didnt matter, it was a good day to be alive. LB

IFishND

They look like bots but really they are sneaking in a couple posts before tryin to drop a link and steal some juice prolly.

DakotaGreg

Established Member
I did a dozen or so portable ice camping trips last winter all over middle Sak and Devils Lake. It takes more gear so the ice has to be drivable for me but I have gotten better at packing lighter. I try not to go if the weather is below zero. I sleep with a buddy heater on low and vents open, sometimes door. Or if warm enough, no heater at all. Its an effective way to already be fishing before the sun comes up and staying out later for the early night fishing.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did a dozen or so portable ice camping trips last winter all over middle Sak and Devils Lake. It takes more gear so the ice has to be drivable for me but I have gotten better at packing lighter. I try not to go if the weather is below zero. I sleep with a buddy heater on low and vents open, sometimes door. Or if warm enough, no heater at all. Its an effective way to already be fishing before the sun comes up and staying out later for the early night fishing.

We live close to the lake at Devils so know its a tad different, but there have been a number of times the better half and I have left the friendly confines our warm house and been out and about on the frozen lake and set up before sunrise in our portable shelter, waiting for the morning bite. Taken more than a few nice pics of the sunrise....and fish. Wonderful time to fish!! I know, i know, you dorks on this site will chime in ...pics or it didnt happen..lol..

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
We live close to the lake at Devils so know its a tad different, but there have been a number of times the better half and I have left the friendly confines our warm house and been out and about on the frozen lake and set up before sunrise in our portable shelter, waiting for the morning bite. Taken more than a few nice pics of the sunrise....and fish. Wonderful time to fish!! I know, i know, you dorks on this site will chime in ...pics or it didnt happen..lol..
Pics or it didn’t happen.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76