Which rifle

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is with the silencers, just did nothing for me big old can on end of barrel, how do your guns shoot MOA wise. I like the bang noise like I like my big block nova with headers loud. How do you get through all brush, trees, and packing that in the field. Last time I saw one was on a 24" barrel and looked like old musket 3 feet long.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have two 6.5 Creedmoor's, one 24 inch sporter and one 26 inch heavy barrel. I use a suppressor on both. Factory 140 gr out of the 24 inch is 2700 fps just as Hornady advertises on the box. Velocity from the same box of shells in the 26 inch is 2875 fps. With R26 velocity in the 26 inch is 3035 fps. It depends on what you see as advantages and disadvantages. Both rifles are Savage actions with Criterion barrels. I have a 6.5x284 Cooper Phoenix with a 26 inch 1/9 twist snd it will stabilize a 140 gr at 3000 fps. If you get the 1/9 twist it will not stabilize the 147 and larger. Only you will know which is best for you, but I never notice the extra two inches and the 24 inch rarely gets used, and I have four different stocks for it. In the Savage stock it groups 1.5 inch, in the Boyds it grouos .7 inch, and in the Bell and Carlson Medalist it groups .2 inch. Stocks sure make a difference.
Speaking of barrel length. if you get a chance pick up a 42 inch barrel Kentucky flint lock and hold a sight picture. If the guy asks "hows she hangin" he is asking you a totally different question than you may suspect.:D. I find the same is true going from my 16 inch Ruger Ranch in 6.5 Grendel to my custom 300 WM with a 28.25 inch barrel ---- with a suppressor.

Good thread for the most part:

PG,

Is this a sexist/misogynistic probably racist joke against homosexuality or do you agree with my assessment of bbl length? ;)

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get yourself a Labradar and sun and clouds have no effect on it. I was running a P35 Oehler and it would give me issues. Once I purchased the Labradar and the easy set up, its the only way to go. I can set it up in less that 5 mins.

I was thinking about a labradar, but read some reviews that sort of scared me off. Besides Pelosi sent me $600 to buy a suppressor for a handgun.::laughing::

Mr Stevenson Im not quit following you. In my generation "hows she hangin" was sort of how are things, but sort of smart ass as if your tool isnt in a cast or something irregular. I thought everyone knew that. I do suppose there are some females who would be upset not to have that salutation. Was that your point?

Edit: oh maybe I get you. If you ever pick up one of those long barrel flintlocks its amazing how steady that weight hanging out front keeps you on target. The terms they use is how it hangs in the hands.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was thinking about a labradar, but read some reviews that sort of scared me off.

There are a few things to concern yourself with regarding the LabRadar, none of them are reasons "not to buy" IMO/IME.

1. Getting the thing to read/pickup your bullets. The easiest cheap way to ensure proper alignment with your target is a coffee stir-straw taped into the top sighting groove. Additionally there are now several folks who have other solutions from a peep-sight arrangement to an actual scope mount.

2. Supposedly they don't pick up bullets over 4K FPS. I don't have anything loaded to that velocity, default to 1lessdog and his nearly 4300FPS 22-6MM for an explanation/confirmation.

3. Supposedly they don't pick up sub-.224 sized projectiles. A gentleman that I shoot with has a .20Practical that we picked up 9:10 shots the 1st time I had it set up. I can't recall which projectile he was actually using. The radar has to reflect off of the base of the bullet so the smaller that is, the more difficult it is for the LabRadar to read it. Prior to cyphering getting alignment proper, I has issues picking up the .224 75gn A-Max. I have the scope mount for mine and pretty much never miss a shot anymore. If someone has a primary rifle, or a bunch of rifles that are sub-.224 I could see skipping the LR, or at least trying to find one to use and test prior to purchase.

4. Get an external power source, otherwise you get 4-6hrs out of 8? AA batteries. The port is just a micro-USB, I use a longer cord and set my battery on the shooting bench, I didn't velcro it to my machine.

Setup time for the LR is exponentially less than a traditional or MagnetoSpeed.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks SDMF thats good info. I would like one, but priorities say maybe next year. Right now I would like to practice shoot, and we dont have a range at Jamestown. We do have public land, but a gun shot out of hunting season pickups show up thinking everyone is a poacher. Emaginations are crazy these days, even in a conservative state.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I was thinking about a labradar, but read some reviews that sort of scared me off. Besides Pelosi sent me $600 to buy a suppressor for a handgun.::laughing::

Mr Stevenson Im not quit following you. In my generation "hows she hangin" was sort of how are things, but sort of smart ass as if your tool isnt in a cast or something irregular. I thought everyone knew that. I do suppose there are some females who would be upset not to have that salutation. Was that your point?

Edit: oh maybe I get you. If you ever pick up one of those long barrel flintlocks its amazing how steady that weight hanging out front keeps you on target. The terms they use is how it hangs in the hands.

2. Supposedly they don't pick up bullets over 4K FPS. I don't have anything loaded to that velocity, default to 1lessdog and his nearly 4300FPS 22-6MM for an explanation/confirmation.

I was shooting over my P35 with my 22-6MM AI to get them speeds

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was shooting over my P35 with my 22-6MM AI to get them speeds

Have you tried any 4K+ FPS load w/the LabRadar? Just curious. I don't load any combo that fast.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well now I have to dump the r26 down the toilet

Remember when I found some h4350 for you and you didn’t buy it? I have my doubts you have any reloder-26.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Remember when I found some h4350 for you and you didn’t buy it? I have my doubts you have any reloder-26.

i don’t thought I did. got 4 pounds of h4350 so I should be good even some 6.5 staball . I’d rather take that 30 bucks and put it on some divebombs

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have you tried any 4K+ FPS load w/the LabRadar? Just curious. I don't load any combo that fast.

I have shot them side by side with 17 and 20 caliber bullets. If shooting small caliber if they are moly coated or back of bullet is painted black it will pick them up.

I never tried 4000+. I just use my P35

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So, at 4000+ does one see impact before recoil is felt? I still get amazed by an exploding water bottle at 100 from a 30/30. It seems instantaneous to me.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75