Which rifle

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am going to buy a new Browning Hells Canyon 6.5 creedmoor. Mostly to be used by my kids and wife. Plan to eventually put a suppressor on it. I also will be loading my own rounds for it. Should I get the Speed version with 22" barrel or long range with 26" barrel? Since it will mostly be used by my kids, I am leaning towards the Speed ( lighter and not as long with suppressor on it). Any thoughts?

Tomsky

Excellent choice. Cant go wrong either way. I just bought the X bolt Hells Canyon Speed in 7mm Rem Mag. My barrel is 26" though. The difference from the Speed and Long Range was, one had a 1:8 twist, and the other had a 1:9 twist. The long range also had a heavier barrel. I went with the speed, because of the weight, and the availability. I could not find a long range, unless it had a McMillan stock which increase the price by quite a bit.

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another thought I had was to purchase the Long Range to get the stiffer barrel and cutting it down to save weight.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
You’ll “roughly” give up 100fps out the muzzle with the shorter tube. That said, if you’re going to regularly run a can, go with the shorter tube. Depending on the can, you’ll think you’re carrying around a musket with the 26”. Just my experience though.

OR

as Bed Wetter says.............BUY BOTH

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
You’ll “roughly” give up 100fps out the muzzle with the shorter tube. That said, if you’re going to regularly run a can, go with the shorter tube. Depending on the can, you’ll think you’re carrying around a musket with the 26”. Just my experience though.

OR

as Bed Wetter says.............BUY BOTH

Beat me by 9 minutes!

- - - Updated - - -

22” is plenty long. I hunted with a 22” 6.5 Cr with a suppressor the past few years and switched to an 18” this year. It was WAY handier. 22” is about as long as I’d want to go with a suppressor.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're talking about ~40-43gn of powder, 22" is plenty and much handier as well.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Creedmoor don’t work for killing shit it’s even worser than a 243

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Personally, I like cutting down the stiffer bbl especially if it's heavier. A short/light front end can be a bit whippy and harder to settle down for a good sight pic. Per my reading.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Creedmore and speed should not me in the same sentence

And if talking shit learning how to spell should be a prerequisite at least just a little. Speed really was a factor in the 70's when all you did was hold over the targets and pray and spray. At this point its easily accounted for with just a little bit of knowledge or knowing how to google.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Creedmore and speed should not me in the same sentence

Troll much? As if the statement itself wasn't ignorant enough, you had to triple down by misspelling Creedmoor and adding grammar errors...

@ndwiemer: As others have said, for the sake of the suppressor, you'll want the 22". I have one 26" rifle, and when I add a 9" suppressor, it's so top-heavy that you can't hardly carry it on your shoulder.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have two 6.5 Creedmoor's, one 24 inch sporter and one 26 inch heavy barrel. I use a suppressor on both. Factory 140 gr out of the 24 inch is 2700 fps just as Hornady advertises on the box. Velocity from the same box of shells in the 26 inch is 2875 fps. With R26 velocity in the 26 inch is 3035 fps. It depends on what you see as advantages and disadvantages. Both rifles are Savage actions with Criterion barrels. I have a 6.5x284 Cooper Phoenix with a 26 inch 1/9 twist snd it will stabilize a 140 gr at 3000 fps. If you get the 1/9 twist it will not stabilize the 147 and larger. Only you will know which is best for you, but I never notice the extra two inches and the 24 inch rarely gets used, and I have four different stocks for it. In the Savage stock it groups 1.5 inch, in the Boyds it grouos .7 inch, and in the Bell and Carlson Medalist it groups .2 inch. Stocks sure make a difference.
Speaking of barrel length. if you get a chance pick up a 42 inch barrel Kentucky flint lock and hold a sight picture. If the guy asks "hows she hangin" he is asking you a totally different question than you may suspect.:D. I find the same is true going from my 16 inch Ruger Ranch in 6.5 Grendel to my custom 300 WM with a 28.25 inch barrel ---- with a suppressor.

Last edited:

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just don’t understand why anyone would worry about the little bit of extra speed they would get with a longer barrel on a qreedmoor. Pick a different cartridge if that’s what you are worried about

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
How much do you consider a little bit of speed? What caliber woukd you suggest to keep the bullet weight and ballistic coefficient?

Did you really see 175fps difference with +2" of barrel, or was that a typo?

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
How much do you consider a little bit of speed? What caliber woukd you suggest to keep the bullet weight and ballistic coefficient?
6.5 300, 6.5 284 I haven’t looked a lot into the 6.5 cal but I know there are faster 6.5s. There are also bigger calibers that have better bc if that’s all a person is chasing.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have one with a 18" and even with a suppressor it's a joy to handle.

Shooting 127 LRX @ around 2800

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
And if talking shit learning how to spell should be a prerequisite at least just a little. Speed really was a factor in the 70's when all you did was hold over the targets and pray and spray. At this point its easily accounted for with just a little bit of knowledge or knowing how to google.

With what you are saying it sounds like you should run some more charts lol. What bullet and muzzle velocity are you running in your 6.5 creedmoor?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77