6mm Creedmoor

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Factory 264 Win Mag barrels are of the same ilk.

The 1:tooslow makes zero sense.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
204 Ruger, At the range about the first of November I meet a couple of young men that hunt coyotes alot. One of them had built his own AR style and was very happy with it. Evidently he was good with it also as he had already killed over 30 coyotes. He was working up a few different loads. Extremely nice young men. As they answered some dumb questions from this old coot. Asked him about if he was going to build a Creedmoor. Said doesn't have to shoot at long range because he calls them in.

If you've never needed to shoot 500+ yards while calling coyotes, you haven't been calling coyotes very long.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you've never needed to shoot 500+ yards while calling coyotes, you haven't been calling coyotes very long.

I didn't call either of them, but, I have taken 2 over 500 this fall. 1 @ 512. Doggie and I did a late evening walk for sharptails early in the season. The coyotes were doing their evening yodeling when we were on our way back to the truck. I dump some water in a bowl, grab the binocs to scan and find one out mousing in the cut alfalfa. Range, dial, hold 1/2Mil into the wind, squeeze, dead.

2nd was surprised by the truck coming down the gravel. Missed him low running dead-away @ 350ish, he goes through a low spot where I can't see him, comes back up, still running dead away. Wind didn't affect 1st shot so I hold dead center and 1.5Mil hash between his ears. Squeeze, bullet enters between his ears, out above his left eye. Range after the fact, 503yds. I call this "educated guess lucky". I saw the bullet hit low @ 350 and it gave me a good frame of reference for the next shot. The .5Mil hashes gave me a reference hold that wasn't "off in space".

It's not all wine and roses, I missed one a day earlier running dead-away @ 150ish because I got excited, lost focus, and mashed the trigger like I was shooting a shotgun. I saw the crosshairs pull off before the trigger broke. When I get excited and don't take about 1/2sec to tell myself "squeeze" I almost always mash the trigger, sometimes also rolling my shoulder into the recoil and peeking over the scope. It's a nasty habit that I have to consciously ameliorate. Shotgunning is muscle-memory, rifle shooting is a conscious and deliberate effort, or I miss.

1:8 22-250, 75gn A-max @ 3275FPS.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
A lot of these discussions are way over my head. That said, can someone explain why they don't offer lighter bullets off the shelf for a 6.5? I don't handload. But, one thing I enjoy about my .243 was I could buy 55 grain off the shelf that were pushing 4000+ fps. They grouped well and were relatively flat out to 400 with a 200 yd zero. Which was very handy when I used to varmint hunt a lot. I think the lightest available for my 6.5 is 125.

If anyone is into lightweight varmint projectiles for anything of the .243 diameter, Midway has 500ct boxes of Hornady 58Gn V-max for $90, ~.18/bullet. Probably won't last long...........

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha i remember the .243 being just thought of as a peas shooter on fbo now people want the 6mm creedmoor. Haha it’s hilarious what marketing can do.

- - - Updated - - -

You gain nothing with the 6mm creedmoor over a .243 is my point.

- - - Updated - - -

You don’t lose anything either though they have almost identical case capacity.

- - - Updated - - -

I’d rather have a .260 Remington and a .243 anyday over the creedmoors lol.

- - - Updated - - -

But anyways how about this weather it’s quite nice out today!!!

- - - Updated - - -

What is the record for consecutive posts ?

- - - Updated - - -

10? 20? 30?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74