6mm Creedmoor

Deerhntr71

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any thoughts or anyone shooting this caliber? I know the 6.5 is a good round, and was wondering what everyone on here thinks. I like the 243 Win, and in the good old days Horsager used to say, "get a 243 and show them what they think can't be done ". I figured if what the Creedmoor did for the 6.5, wouldn't it make the 243 better.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not another Creedmoor topic....for the love of god not another

Last edited:

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
You much time you got? :D

As you might expect, it does have all the advantages of the 6.5, but in a 6mm format.
However, those advantages may be irrelevant depending on what kind of shooting you want to do.
Like the 6.5, it excels in shooting heavy-for-caliber, high BC bullets. So if you're looking to do long range shooting with it, it's an easy choice over the 243, and in some ways makes sense over the 6.5. But if you're just looking for a deer rifle, the 243 is a better pick, largely due to the (usual) availability of factory ammo.

- - - Updated - - -

Not another Creedmoor forum....for the love of god not another

Shush you. The word "Creedmoor" makes me all tingly inside. ;)

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
You much time you got? :D

As you might expect, it does have all the advantages of the 6.5, but in a 6mm format.
However, those advantages may be irrelevant depending on what kind of shooting you want to do.
Like the 6.5, it excels in shooting heavy-for-caliber, high BC bullets. So if you're looking to do long range shooting with it, it's an easy choice over the 243, and in some ways makes sense over the 6.5. But if you're just looking for a deer rifle, the 243 is a better pick, largely due to the (usual) availability of factory ammo.

- - - Updated - - -

Shush you. The word "Creedmoor" makes me all tingly inside. ;)

crazy thing this year the 6 and 6.5 creedmoor and the 6.5 prc are the three rounds you could get most of the time in runnings here. I almost bought a 6 but got a shotgun instead. It makes sense if you under stand mag constraints and long bullets but most just want to hit that pie plate every now and then. Hornady is great with factory support. Have you messed with the 6mm arc at all that looks interesting.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The advantage a 6 Creed has is proper twist/chamber/mag box melding, from the get-go in every factory iteration. In short, it's launch was executed properly based upon available and projected projectile R&D. The 243Win is faster, but, with very few exceptions is twisted such that the speed is useless for projectiles over 100gn and the mag box isn't long enough to seat those projectiles out to their full potential anyway. Barrett Fieldcraft and NULA being a couple of the glaring examples of the 243Win done right.

A competent gunsmith can consult you to the proper twist for your chosen projectile and chamber any .243 bbl to 243Win such that it melds to whatever magazine option you've chosen and it will outrun the 6Creed. The 6Creed's advantage is being turnkey from your favorite retailer. No waiting on a correctly twisted barrel, extended mag box, custom stock for same, or a gunsmith to thread/chamber your barrel.

The litigious nature of our society means that neither the ammo nor the firearms manufacturers are about to go diddling with SAMMI specs that have been in place for decades. They'd rather offer you a "new" chambering before re-certifying an old chambering with a new twist rate.

Last edited:

jtillman

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the 6.5 CM = 6.5 Manbun, does the 6 CM = 6 Skinny Jeans?

I think it looks like a nifty little round, and as KurtR said, it's one of the few rounds that I see on the shelves still. I read a little about it and looks like it performs similar to the .243. Most of the 6 CM's have a quicker twist rate than standard .243's so they would shoot heavier / high-BC rounds better than the .243. If you're just using for reasonable hunting ranges, either will be fine. If you're looking for a bench gun or for some long distance shooting, unless you get a .243 with a 1:8 twist or better, go with the 6 Skinny Jeans.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you messed with the 6mm arc at all that looks interesting.

Haha, I had one before it was called that. I have a 243 LBC, which like the 6mm ARC, is essentially a 6.5 Grendel necked down to 6.
It's a 22" Black Hole Weaponry bbl in an AR, and it is awesome. I'd dare to say it's the perfect coyote round. Unlike a 6 creed or 243, you can run it in a AR-15 platform, yet you can still launch an 87 v-max at 2950, using 29-ish grains of powder, which adds up to plenty of kill with nearly non-existent recoil.
Right now I'm cooking up a load for the 85 TSX so my 10yo can kill deer with it next fall.

Last edited:

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ackley a .243 and load it with 95 grain hornady and let that bitch fire. Then your friends also will not call you gay for have anything with the name Creedmoor in it.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ackley a .243 and load it with 95 grain hornady and let that bitch fire. Then your friends also will not call you gay for have anything with the name Creedmoor in it.

I run 105gn A-max's in my 243AI.........

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
A .240 weatherby is much more funner to lol. With a 1:7 that’s an insane package. As Kurt r would say a barrel burner lol.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I don't see a spot for the ammo at the local sporting goods store, I'm NOT interested in the gun.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Finally, after hearing about this caliber for the last year or two i decided to educate myself, Found out my old 264 Winchester model 70 is a 6.5. Hell of a deal that, when and if i ever shoot at 500 yards, it only drops about 30 some inches. Should be no problem in bring the bacon home.

I love that gun but always felt it had to much speed for a clean kills so the few times i rifle hunted mule deer i used the 300 Weatherby that my dad bought in 59. But then that bullet will also drop a bunch.

The last time i hunted mule deer with my son, scouting, he had me walk up and down those ravines for two hours after this deer. Finally after i was beat to hell we were within 300 yards. (started at 800 yards) Close enough for me and my Weatherby but he walked to the next ravine top and i fellow. One more ravine, 220 yards, i said enough, close enough and it was. Just took me time to find the deer in the brush.

Would not have the same confidence with the 264 so 6.5 in my humble opinion is just another bullet that many are high on as an excuse to purchase another rifle. i am working on getting a model 92 in 44-40. One more stimulus check and i can be like the Rifleman. 243, well i have a Mark 5 in 22-250 so no need for a 243. db

Last edited:

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fukn Creedmoor ai
nt got shit over a .243/.270/30-06.;:;banghead
Did I mention a hate the word " manbun";:;popcorn

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You might have hinted at it.
If i understood it right, the service replace the 223 with this bullet. If that is right i would think a huge improvement.

It is always nice to screw around with calibers. Grew up with the muscle cars in the 60s, we were always trying something to get an edge over the next vehicle.
At first i was considering the need to get one to be part of the crowd and was looking at the neckdown 300 Weatherby 6.5 but other than to say i had one, seen no real reason for one over my old time calibers that could do the same for whatever one hunted.
We all have our loves and for me it's the older rifles.
Once the 426 hemi came out in 66, at that point there was not much one could do to win over them as i found out back then. db

fishhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the 6.5 CM = 6.5 Manbun, does the 6 CM = 6 Skinny Jeans?

I think it looks like a nifty little round, and as KurtR said, it's one of the few rounds that I see on the shelves still. I read a little about it and looks like it performs similar to the .243. Most of the 6 CM's have a quicker twist rate than standard .243's so they would shoot heavier / high-BC rounds better than the .243. If you're just using for reasonable hunting ranges, either will be fine. If you're looking for a bench gun or for some long distance shooting, unless you get a .243 with a 1:8 twist or better, go with the 6 Skinny Jeans.

I like to to refer to my grendel as the mullet of 6.5’s.....

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The creedmoor is a necked up .250 savage basically other than a bit less taper in the case. Myself I like a necked down .250 savage in .22-250. Lots more fun then slow boat to China 140 grain 6.5 creedmoor.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Haha, I had one before it was called that. I have a 243 LBC, which like the 6mm ARC, is essentially a 6.5 Grendel necked down to 6.
It's a 22" Black Hole Weaponry bbl in an AR, and it is awesome. I'd dare to say it's the perfect coyote round. Unlike a 6 creed or 243, you can run it in a AR-15 platform, yet you can still launch an 87 v-max at 2950, using 29-ish grains of powder, which adds up to plenty of kill with nearly non-existent recoil.
Right now I'm cooking up a load for the 85 TSX so my 10yo can kill deer with it next fall.

First off I dont shoot a Coyote for the fur. Now days I sell them whole. I dont skin and flesh and dry them I did that for many yrs But to say a 6 mm ARC shooting 2950 FPS is the perfect round, I just get a charge out of that. I can see this scenario, You have a animal coming into the call. Hes out there at 700 yds and running or walking. He starts to go down wind. Your reaching for your range finder. Is he 300 or 400 yds, you range him hes at 425 and starts moving again. He stops grab the range finder again. Hes at 375, Oh now I have to turn my turret to 375, got it turned and hes on the move again. A coyote does not wait to get shot. Did you get him or did he run off. Hell I dont know.

My scenario is the exact same, But Im shooting a 22-6MM AI with 50 gr Blitzking at 4280 FPS. I have no hold over out to 400 yds. I dont carry a range finder. I just shoot them. If he stops at 400 yds Im going to dump him right there.

When a person is shooting a lobber, A bullet going threw the air at under 3000 FPS is a lobber. Hell I have one a 6 MM BRX. will shoot circles around a 6 ARC. And yes in a AR platform and bolt action.

For me Im going to shoot a fast bullet with little to know hold over out to 450 yds. Can you buy a rifle like mine off the shelf, no. Is it a barrel burner, yes. I dont care. I will buy another barrel, thread it and chamber it. Will cost me 500.00 to 600.00 to have it done.

For me I will take speed. for someone like Supressyourself he shoots somethin he likes. I called in my first animal 49 yrs ago, I have shot 1000's of Fox and Coyotes. So I do know a little about calling in a animal.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79