south dakota pheasant season extended to jan 31

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
south dakota pheasant season has been extended to jan 31 2021 anybody going

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
They did that at the start of the year. I will be shooting roosters as we have a bunch around

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
They picked the right year, weather-wise. G/O operations are surely loving it.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
They did that at the start of the year. I will be shooting roosters as we have a bunch around

Kurt,did they increase the daily bag limit to 4 birds? thought I read that?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Too many pheasants in SD or what?

roosters don’t really affect population so killing some more is better for the hens for less competition in the winter

They picked the right year, weather-wise. G/O operations are surely loving it.

the couple I help and a few other are done for the year most have switched to ice fishing or just taking some time off.

Kurt,did they increase the daily bag limit to 4 birds? thought I read that?

they proposed that but it didn’t pass.

another side note wolf season is now open here so if you see one blast it just have to report it in 48 hours of shooting

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
roosters don’t really affect population so killing some more is better for the hens for less competition in the winter

the couple I help and a few other are done for the year most have switched to ice fishing or just taking some time off.

they proposed that but it didn’t pass.

another side note wolf season is now open here so if you see one blast it just have to report it in 48 hours of shooting

wolves ? must be in the hills eh? I rarely get past chamberlain,lots of yotes along the river but wolves? interesting.

njsimonson

Founding Member
Founding Member
The whoring out of pheasant hunting in SD was a notable downside of 2020 in the outdoors.

The GFP dropped the summer brood survey - a mere $80,000 endeavor - because the bird numbers have been off the last several years due to declining habitat. They felt that the publication of the lower numbers versus previous seasons was discouraging hunters from going to SD. Instead, they hired a $300,000-plus marketing firm to promote pheasant hunting in the state, to talk up how great it is, while denying hunters the information they like and sometimes need for an outing, and really, what an agency that is supposed to be managing wild game should be providing for the residents it serves.

Then, against sound science, they extended the season into January, often the coldest and most brutal month in the upper plains. And while, yes, the taking of late-season roosters has no impact on next fall's recruitment and hunting, the stress on hens forced to flee cover over and over again in the colder conditions can impact their health in winter, which can impact next spring's hatch and next fall's recruitment. They got lucky with this banana belt winter we're having, but it won't always be that way.

It's been disappointing to see the resource managed more as an aspect of tourism and pay-to-play, and less as an aspect of conservation and the North American hunting model. It sets a dangerous precedent for surrounding states, and in my conversations with NDG&F agents, there isn't any plans to follow suit, which is the right thing. I am glad the G&F still manages predominantly on science and not on tourism dollars.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
wolves ? must be in the hills eh? I rarely get past chamberlain,lots of yotes along the river but wolves? interesting.

no shot a few coming over from Minnesota the last few years non in the hills with random reports in the Missouri River hills

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
hoorlover.jpg
SDGF gamebird biologist Franklin "Frank" Reynolds announces pheasant season extension.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The whoring out of pheasant hunting in SD was a notable downside of 2020 in the outdoors.

The GFP dropped the summer brood survey - a mere $80,000 endeavor - because the bird numbers have been off the last several years due to declining habitat. They felt that the publication of the lower numbers versus previous seasons was discouraging hunters from going to SD. Instead, they hired a $300,000-plus marketing firm to promote pheasant hunting in the state, to talk up how great it is, while denying hunters the information they like and sometimes need for an outing, and really, what an agency that is supposed to be managing wild game should be providing for the residents it serves.

Then, against sound science, they extended the season into January, often the coldest and most brutal month in the upper plains. And while, yes, the taking of late-season roosters has no impact on next fall's recruitment and hunting, the stress on hens forced to flee cover over and over again in the colder conditions can impact their health in winter, which can impact next spring's hatch and next fall's recruitment. They got lucky with this banana belt winter we're having, but it won't always be that way.

It's been disappointing to see the resource managed more as an aspect of tourism and pay-to-play, and less as an aspect of conservation and the North American hunting model. It sets a dangerous precedent for surrounding states, and in my conversations with NDG&F agents, there isn't any plans to follow suit, which is the right thing. I am glad the G&F still manages predominantly on science and not on tourism dollars.

In reality if it is that bad out no one would be hunting any way. While the state creates opportunities for people to go hunting it seems some would rather restrict it. The brood survey were guesses at best with little science involved a bunch of interns counting pheasants on the side of the road. They would be better off having ups drivers count them. It’s not hard east winter decent spring and some cover and you have pheasants. It’s going to be 50 here next week so I will enjoy being out side hunting with the dog in a sweatshirt. What’s more disappointing is sci is the only group fighting the ban of bear baiting in wy and idaho. Don’t need any more presidents set like Colorado taking away spring bear.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member

If all private land becomes default posted in ND, NDGF will absolutely transition from a North American Conservation model to a revenue/tourism model. There’d be no stopping it.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe 15 years ago a buddy brought me a hunting and fishing “regulations” booklet from TX. It was a magazine published by their state game department. About 70% of it was advertisements with regulations sprinkled in between. Most bizarre thing I’ve ever seen but I s’pose that’s the norm in some places now.

Edit to add: not saying that SD is TX or that ND will be either, just saying TX is weird. Here’s the SD hunting regs: https://www.flipsnack.com/SDGamefishparks/2020-south-dakota-hunting-handbook.html

Last edited:

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
What’s more disappointing is sci is the only group fighting the ban of bear baiting in wy and idaho. Don’t need any more presidents set like Colorado taking away spring bear.

Calling the people leading the bait ban charge in WY and ID "scientists" is erroneous. Center for Biological Diversity. Alliance for the Wild Rockies. Western Watersheds Project. I can say, as a wildlife biologist in the private sector that often has to respond to the outlandish claims of these environmentalist groups, they are not scientists. They are not wildlife managers. They are activists that make their money by suing the federal government every GD time someone wants to do a fuel reduction, commercial thinning, delist a recovered species, improve a hiking trail in a wilderness area, the list goes on and on. So please. Don't lump real scientists in with these litigious a-holes.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wish I could someday shoot an ND Moose, or Elk.
but in the meantime i will continue to blast SD roosters

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Calling the people leading the bait ban charge in WY and ID "scientists" is erroneous. Center for Biological Diversity. Alliance for the Wild Rockies. Western Watersheds Project. I can say, as a wildlife biologist in the private sector that often has to respond to the outlandish claims of these environmentalist groups, they are not scientists. They are not wildlife managers. They are activists that make their money by suing the federal government every GD time someone wants to do a fuel reduction, commercial thinning, delist a recovered species, improve a hiking trail in a wilderness area, the list goes on and on. So please. Don't lump real scientists in with these litigious a-holes.

no I meant sci safari club international is helping fight the bear bating ban. I completely agree the people that are proposing it are anything but scientists. I don’t envy you having to deal with them. I wish they would let you manage game vs ballot box management.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am waiting for an invite from Kurt ---- we will grab a 30 and road it.
Dogs will be in the kennel with the door open so when we stop they will do the retrieven

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member

I 100% agree with this comment. SD is about one thing and that is tourism=$$. Bring SD your money. While pheasant numbers are probably fair this year throughout state, it is no where near what it once was. But they don't want out of staters knowing that. Couldn't care less about residents. I understand the revenue hunting and fishing bring to our state. You should see my area now. Northeast SD. There are 100s of non res fisherman hammering every slough, lake , pond they can find. They get on facebook and literally ask where to fish and others tell them where hot bites are. They often come and just drive around country and scout to see where shacks are with no prior knowledge of a bite or name of slough or access etc. See a shack...go out and fish right next to it. I guarantee our resources are going to suffer in future. Birds, fish numbers etc will be drastically hurt (already have) by the influx of non res pressure. The pressure is worse this year even but I suspect that is due to covid. If the state wants money so bad why cant they just jack up prices on non res licenses? All game/fish licenses. It would come out the same wouldn't it? Maybe less people will come but the cost is higher for those that do so a wash? I'm just frustrated with our decision making in the state. There is no concern for habitat or conservation. Only money. Just my .02. We need outdoorsman on the commission not lawyers and businessmen.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74