Side x Side (utv) question

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the enclosed back end of your rig. Self made or is there some sort of kit you found.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the enclosed back end of your rig. Self made or is there some sort of kit you found.

last winter the Curtis company was getting out of selling DFK hard cabs and I got a great deal.

now DFK (Dutch I think) sells directly

https://hardcabs.com/

- - - Updated - - -

classic salesmen - ha ha ha

but this video sealed the deal for me

- - - Updated - - -

that front window is my escape hatch

I pray I never need it

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Big V: here is the deal

1. 1/2 ton or probably a tree qtr ton truck to pull the trailer
2. enclosed trailer
3. said heated spot to store trailer to dry off the auger
4. cab for the ranger
5 heater for the ranger
6 place to park that you have access to the lake. probably not the access if you plan on turning around.

that should do it for you -- get the check book ready.
I would probably add the ice castle to the list - when the ice gets thicker and you want some comfort.

;:;bowdown

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a couple friends that have heated rangers. First thing they did when they bought em is put a catch cover in the passenger floor board. They use their K drill and dont even need to get out when their hole hopping.

Founding Member
Founding Member
My buddy has ran 2 new ranger every year putting about 8500 miles on each then trading them in up until 4 years ago "went to can-am defenders".
After 8500 miles of ranch work the Polaris units were ready to be traded in, they were just wore out pretty much, especially the clutch/tranny.
Never ever had an engine blow but everything else kind of needed attention "spray tanks in the box were a big cause of this", so down the road they went.
One of our good friends owns the can-am dealership, they actually have sold more defenders the past couple years than any dealership in the country. Went with them and so has every ranch in the area that I can think of. They have some issues here and there no doubt but after a year of hard use the drivetrain is pretty much like the day you bought it, no clanking and clunking so we they've went to keeping them for two years. Our buddy has started to hate taking in rangers on trade, he says they just have to have so much replaced on them so that he can sell them with a good conscience. He doesn't even take them on trade any more unless they have low miles and are taken care of. If your not going to use them for work every day thou I think any of the big name brand side by sides would work just fine.

I agree with the other guys thou, for the price of these things you'd be way better off buying a small truck like a Toyota or somethin along those lines if you weren't able to write it off. That's exactly what I do, the 91 Toyota isn't pretty but its dependable as hell.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I just barrow my brothers for the few weekends I want to drive one. Other than that I use the golf cart or my little 4X4. For the cost of a new one I would just buy a Jeep.

Last edited:

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heard rumors that there are 3 cheap ones laying at the bottom of Sakakawea in fairly deep water. Also have heard of 2 SxSs, a 4 wheeler and 2 pickups going thru on Audubon. Be careful when buying used ones.

eyecatcher

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another thing a guy sees--- colder than shit out and some guy with ranger has a trailer -- you pass by him at the ramp you can see the guy and a big cloud of breath while he is wrestling his wheeler and portable of his trailer. Get out to the spot and look over the guy is still loading shit up ---no heater and the cab is open -- by the time the guy drives out he is about froze cant move. I suppose he has to justify his purchase and not drive his truck and trailer out on the ice.. I got my holes drilled shack warm and momma is happy she never got cold. This guy is just gettin to his spot.

That is the reality.

My buddy has a ranger -- we use it for hauling liquor to the beach - -that is the honest to god truth - and he has a hill at his place and believe me without the ranger i would be dead trying to go up and down on that hill with thirters and 1.75s. We could not get down the hill with a truck -- so in that case 100% justified.

I’ll take the side by side and freezing my ass off any day of the week if it means mamma ain’t with.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last year I was in the same boat,my old 2001 honda foreman served its purpose,only had 1000 miles on it based on the hour meter/miles I averaged only 5mph ,used around the farm,ice fishing etc.eye balled a couple new sxs's,came close on a honda new last year model but honda 's haven't changed in years,no power steering on the rig I was looking at plus it wouldn't fit on my 60"x10' utility trailer,it was to wide so looked at a few different makes of atv's to replace my honda forman,polaris can am to much plastic plus buddies with polaris had issues with drive belts under load,yammie just wasn't finished well,not enough changes on the new honda's to make a move on a new one,landed on the all new (at the time susuki king quad) upgrades like fuel injection,power steering,locking front diff,hand warmers,independent rear suspension sealed the deal,added two aluminum flat racks,rear rack for my pup or passenger front rack with gun racks for ice auger,pull my flip over shack when icefishing loaded with gear(like a trailer),figured I saved a few $1000 plus kept my old utility trailer. if you intend to plow snow and opt for a winch,beware of the cheap winches as they have ceramic gear cogs,won't last long plowing snow,also if plowing shit can the winch cable as they fray/break often,consider replacing with synthetic rope or better yet a 4" 7000lb strap.\\
Wish I was gifted like #guywhojeririgs to add more stuff on my wheeler but duct tape sucks in the cold/wet.

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe some counseling is in order.
haha..

I finally just convinced my peach to start coming with, after 20 years of not coming along. We fished Tobacco yesterday, fishing was slow but was better with her along. We played yatzy .

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
my ole lady had nothing to do with us guyz ice fishing,drinking beer/shots farting and late night puking,one outting then done.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I want one for dog training and cruising around town . Being I hunt around my house a lot would be nice just to jump in and go when it’s sloppy out

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
My goal this season:

Parking wherever, stepping into the recently insulated/heated car hauler, dawning (in heated comfort) the snow gear and boots that have been hanging in said trailer drying since last time, unplugging the minnow aerator and vexilar chargers, backing out of the hauler, and going fishing pretty much anywhere I feel like the ice is safe. All the gear is dry and ready to go. Auger doesn't have a ton of ice, etc.

Late season mud have the access hosed for full size vehicles? Meh.

Ramp plugged with snow from the last blow? Meh.

Windy? Meh.

Etc? Meh.

All without taking a single thing in/out of my house or garage - other than food/bev. (and perhaps galwhofishes and Royce)

View attachment 58148

So the answer is: The same thing Jan 8 that I'll do every trip regardless of most any date/conditions. #$%^&>

I just picked up an enclosed trailer. Could you kindly elaborate on the insulating, wiring, lighting, etc.? I am looking to do the exact same thing.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just picked up an enclosed trailer. Could you kindly elaborate on the insulating, wiring, lighting, etc.? I am looking to do the exact same thing.

Sure - but probably best done in a phone call or texts. PM me.

Do you have a good lightweight battery powered driver? Ha ha. I bought 300 screws (the previous screws were no longer long enough) and barely finished it.

Also - Do you have about 5 times more time to do this than you think you do? ; )

I did 99% of it myself so I'm sure that made it a bigger chore than if I had help.

You could always come down I-29 and take a tour. I'm about to sell the 21 sheets of leftover foam board - let me know if you want them.

Last edited:

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sure - but probably best done in a phone call or texts. PM me.

Do you have a good lightweight battery powered driver? Ha ha. I bought 300 screws (the previous screws were no longer long enough) and barely finished it.

Also - Do you have about 5 times more time to do this than you think you do? ; )

I did 99% of it myself so I'm sure that made it a bigger chore than if I had help.

You could always come down I-29 and take a tour. I'm about to sell the 21 sheets of leftover foam board - let me know if you want them.

I was going to go with spray foam so I wont be needing the foam board. I am not going to start on it until spring when i can work on it outside. I will be in touch! Thanks guywhohasanawesomeenclosedtrailer!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh my God. Not spray foam. You fool!

- - - Updated - - -

:;:

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously though - how are you gonna trim it once you got spray foamed trusses? Or are you just leaving it Jurassic Period and decorating with cave art?

- - - Updated - - -

2020-12-19 16.16.02.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

2020-12-09 10.54.15.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

2021-01-10 17.04.26.jpg

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
How do you get out of a utv with doors if you park inside an enclosed trailer?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 92
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 60