Side x Side (utv) question

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh my God. Not spray foam. You fool!

- - - Updated - - -

:;:

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously though - how are you gonna trim it once you got spray foamed trusses? Or are you just leaving it Jurassic Period and decorating with cave art?

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_2246-3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment IMG_2083.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_1911.jpg

you use an animal brush like this one:

756C5C87-9D98-4F31-9E38-9C76FD3C09A3.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

It works like a charm.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
How do you get out of a utv with doors if you park inside an enclosed trailer?

Staying under 200 lb really helps.

- - - Updated - - -

you use an animal brush like this one:

IMG_2246-3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

It works like a charm.

Huh? How do you get everything square/even? Shave it down to the trusses?

- - - Updated - - -

Furring strips?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy that was a sick burn. How'd you know I was fat?

Ha ha. I have no idea. You could weigh a buck five for all I know.

The suicide DFK doors probably help. It's a little tight if I park dead center - and I'm 175 lb. It wouldn't take a much bigger guy and I'd have to park off to the one side.

By the way - I just lost an inch on both sides - so we'll see how that goes. Just got the tracks on yesterday and will park it in the trailer soon.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The side door lines up pretty good with the cab door, just open the side door prior to driving the UTV in, or you will have to back out and open it..
It even works for a guy that is 260 like this guy I happen to know

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Staying under 200 lb really helps.

- - - Updated - - -

Huh? How do you get everything square/even? Shave it down to the trusses?

- - - Updated - - -

Furring strips?

I had my fish house spray foamed. The insulation people left a tool like the one I posted to shave down high spots. I’d use a straight edge to confirm if I had taken enough off. Does this make sense?

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
For about $26-$28000 that i have in to these, i think i have most bases covered..altho i dont have tracks. est current value
2005 2 door Jeep Wrangler 4wheel drive -$13,000 but use YEAR ROUND.. take the top off and its nice in the summer!! bought 4 yrs ago
2013 800 Ranger- $8000- bought 3 yrs ago. use for trail riding in Minnesota in summer more than ice fishing
Zach Shack..not sure of year..bought 2 yrs ago for $4300
Polaris Indy sport 2 up..million years old..bought last year $900
Clam voyager portable..not insulated..bought new a few yrs ago..$400
12ft trailer. $800
To each thier own though..for me and my uses i cant see spending 25-30 grand on an outfit..then again to each thier own..

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had my fish house spray foamed. The insulation people left a tool like the one I posted to shave down high spots. I’d use a straight edge to confirm if I had taken enough off. Does this make sense?

did you have wood studs to use as your leveling guides?

cargo trailers have aluminum struts that need covering - if you panel on/against those then it’s hardly worthwhile

- - - Updated - - -

foam boards cover the struts evenly (1” in my case)

1” sheets cut to fit between wall struts, 1.5” sheets cut to fit between ceiling struts, and another 1” over everything

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member

cargo trailers have aluminum struts that need covering - if you panel on/against those then it’s hardly worthwhile

- - - Updated - - -

1” sheets cut to fit between wall struts, 1.5” sheets cut to fit between ceiling struts, and another 1” over everything

Hmm, I guess I’d have to see it in person. I don’t have a trailer like yours so I wouldn’t know. I was just commenting on being able to level off uneven spray foam. I’m sure you know what your doing. I’d say let’s go fishing together, but by the time you are actually ready to fish, I will have caught all the fish. You may as well sell all your hard work to me for 30 cents on the dollar and be done with it. The couch is more comfortable anyway........

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm, I guess I’d have to see it in person. I don’t have a trailer like yours so I wouldn’t know. I was just commenting on being able to level off uneven spray foam. I’m sure you know what your doing. I’d say let’s go fishing together, but by the time you are actually ready to fish, I will have caught all the fish. You may as well sell all your hard work to me for 30 cents on the dollar and be done with it. The couch is more comfortable anyway........

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

I was under the impression one could purchase an insulated trailer right from the factory. Probably cheaper, even without counting your labor.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

yep - I'm what you call a real couch potato

- - - Updated - - -

I was under the impression one could purchase an insulated trailer right from the factory. Probably cheaper, even without counting your labor.

maybe - but this one has hail damage and was practically free so...

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
NDBowman asked:
How do you get out of a utv with doors if you park inside an enclosed trailer?

You get a 8' to 8.5' wide enclosed trailer. Our 2 smaller enclosed trailers are both 7' wide which was fine for the Ranger and Honda Trike. But with the new General XP and me NOT getting any smaller, i can't get out of the General when i drive it in. So i either need one 8.5' wide which i would like to have but need another enclosed trailer like i need a hole in my head. So i am just going to buy a smaller Aluma open trailer to haul the General on as we don't take it very far anymore and the Trike can be hauled in the enclosed trailers if we want to take a trip.
Thinking of going with this to haul our General XP Aluma EX7712H-BT open trailer.

https://www.extremesales.biz/2021-aluma-ex7712h-bt-utility-trailer-tunj|Swh.html

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member

Yes, you can. As long as you want to wait for 6-12 months. And pay a premium.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I planned on taking down the current wall covering/sheeting. Spray the wall cavities and ceiling. Once foam is set, scrap/knife the foam that is on the aluminum studs and throw the walls back on. Leaving the ceiling cave style. I know there will be some thermal transfer from the aluminum studs but it should be minimal. Will be running wiring exactly like you have up in the corners. There is a bunch of youtube vids on spray foaming enclosed trailers that people use for tiny homes/campers. Seems to work well. I am open to any advice as I have never done this before. Thanks!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, you can. As long as you want to wait for 6-12 months. And pay a premium.

- - - Updated - - -

I planned on taking down the current wall covering/sheeting. Spray the wall cavities and ceiling. Once foam is set, scrap/knife the foam that is on the aluminum studs and throw the walls back on. Leaving the ceiling cave style. I know there will be some thermal transfer from the aluminum studs but it should be minimal. Will be running wiring exactly like you have up in the corners. There is a bunch of youtube vids on spray foaming enclosed trailers that people use for tiny homes/campers. Seems to work well. I am open to any advice as I have never done this before. Thanks!

I see. Easy peasy then.

The thought of frost lines on the wall/ceiling every 16 inches while trying to keep it thawed out with a 15 amp plugin in my driveway had me put on the extra 5R all the way around. Made it a lot more work too.

I even used stainless screws because they transfer less heat. Ha ha. Also wrapped the wheel wells in bunk carpet.

A 1500 watt heater keeps about a 35 degree differential between ambient and inside.

I'm studying the humidity issue now.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As roosster stated:
I have a side by side and buddy has a old 4x4 pu that is really not much bigger that my side by side. Not sure of brand but not US made.
With the right tires i think he has a better deal than me for all around use. Just not as cool if that is important to one. db

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57