Side x Side (utv) question

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kind of tossing idea around of getting a sxs. I don't need or want anything fancy. Mostly for yard work, ice fishing and maybe some hunting if fields are damp etc. So looking at some used ones...what is a lot of miles for these things? See some with 1k up to 10k.
btw...I'm shocked at the price these thing bring for new. Even used. Should just buy another pickup.

HUNTFISHND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Prices are crazy! If you do find one snatch it up quick because it won't last. Some places are saying 4-6 months to wait for a new one if it's not on the floor. I've seen some used one that are stupidly high priced, but that is supply and demand!

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
New are pretty much MSRP and not moving off of it as they know if you don't buy it someone else will.
Used are high because new are high. Depends on how they were taken care of, just like everything else. Seen some at 2,000 miles beat to crap and others at 6,000 miles with good upkeep look and ran great.
Don't buy one that came from a ranch as they are bought to use!
Used down here are bringing any place from $1,000 over book to 4,000 over book depending on the accessories and condition.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Look at hours on speedometer also.... sitting at idle for long periods and/ or using for minimal miles while still being used. might be more important than miles..in some cases.. ask the buyer what they used it for, does it have tracks? did it? towing or pulling anything?

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would say anything over 10k miles is getting up there and you can expect to start doing some fixing. Mainly bushings in A arms and suspension. Probably need shocks, brake pads, and wheel bearings could began to fail. All easy to replace but costs can add up. A company that sells reman engines for polaris rangers say that the life expectancy of an engine is 8 to 12k miles. I feel the engine can and will go alot longer than that with proper maintenance and not abusing it. I've seen two Rangers with blown motors under 5k miles that were run hard and not maintained. I've seen another that the motor was blown and had good maintentance and even the mechanic didn't know why it went. My Ranger 900 has nearly 25k miles on it, sadly I was hoping to get 30k on it but it started acting up and now won't start, Its at the polaris dealer now getting checked out. I feel its a compression issue but will see, if my motor is shot I'll put a reman in it and run it some more.

Yes they are expensive to purchase, it feels like your getting robbed when you buy one for what your getting but they are very handy for farm/ranch work, hunting, trapping, and ice fishing. Your paying for that convenience.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I should sell mine. It’s practically mint with only 1200 miles on it.

I have one like that also KW '17 Honda 1000cc Pioneer with 1200miles, third oil change just complete but not for sale. I just called my brother in law because his was for sale but he thought better of it and not selling his now either. His is a '15 but 750 cc Honda with less miles than my '17. They are out there, keep plugging away.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kind of tossing idea around of getting a sxs. I don't need or want anything fancy. Mostly for yard work, ice fishing and maybe some hunting if fields are damp etc. So looking at some used ones...what is a lot of miles for these things? See some with 1k up to 10k.
btw...I'm shocked at the price these thing bring for new. Even used. Should just buy another pickup.

you can buy a little pickup for a few bucks more. 4x4 no fckn dust, nice heater, better towing and you run it 150k more miles.

- - - Updated - - -

ps yard work - we used a buddies Polaris to pull out the dock - the winch kept shutting off the engine--- drawed the battery down so bad. They are just a toy -- expensive toy.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
you can buy a little pickup for a few bucks more. 4x4 no fckn dust, nice heater, better towing and you run it 150k more miles.

- - - Updated - - -

ps yard work - we used a buddies Polaris to pull out the dock - the winch kept shutting off the engine--- drawed the battery down so bad. They are just a toy -- expensive toy.
Exactly. Why people get these loaded up and spend 25-30 thousand for a toy. I have one on the ranch but it gets used all year. Small used pickup or Jeep would make way more sense for most “sportsman”. Plus they are junk and are wore out with 10,000 miles on them. Would anybody pay that kind of money for a vehicle that needs major repairs in those miles?

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I may look at atvs as well but like the fact of the box in back for hauling things. How old is too old on a used one? Ive seen a few decent ones (I think) that are 10-12 yrs old.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe mine it a 2009 with about 6,500 miles. I have a windshield, roof, and back window. No doors which only sucks in the ice fishing season, but might be a life saver iffn the cocksucker ever went for a swim with me in it. I use it to run the dog in the spring summer and fall, use it for yard work and grass clippings, use it at the campground all summer conveniently in the toy hauler. But ice fishing is where it really kicks ass. Fitting all of your gear in the box is the best, then when its cold it easily pulls your fish house everywhere on Sakakawea.

I don't have tracks as the machine would not fit in my enclosed trailer with them, but have yet to not be able to fish in Western ND since owning it. We rarely if ever have enough snow to restrict ice access, and if we do, give it a week and it will change.

I wouldn't be without one now, but sure look forward to upgrading to a cab model with some heat, and brighter lights for the late night trip back to the trailer.

I think I paid $6,500 for it 5 years ago, put maybe $1,500 or so into it with some street legal accessories, and would guess I could still get around $5,500-$6,500 for it.

Outside of my Vexilar, this would be the second thing I wouldn't want to fish without it

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

Hauling weight, trailer sizes, track expense/maintenance, etc.

Ask Enslow what tracking small pickups is like.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Johnr said now - and yes i will agree this year perfect year for something lightweight. Its a window a very small one. Generally we have 4 winter seasons:

1. First ice - which one can only walk out
2. Generally second - a few weeks in December before you can drive out
3 Drive out season
4 To much snow either tracks or snowmobile - or go on a road

this year the ice castles sit on land and the four wheelers roll for now. A couple years ago you could drive on before christmas and in 2012 nobody was doing anything but walking on. Last weekend i went to a little well known slough -- i hand pulled on - the guy who pulled up next to us had a side by side. By the time he shitted around loading everything backing off trailer - i had 30 holes and a fish pulled up - guess what he parked next to us pirated and never moved.

- - - Updated - - -

Like my brother said - to much gear boggs a person down. I am beginning to see where he is coming from

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone's wants and needs are different.
If you want/need one get one, if you don't, don't.
We wouldn't be without any of ours.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Johnr said now - and yes i will agree this year perfect year for something lightweight. Its a window a very small one. Generally we have 4 winter seasons:

1. First ice - which one can only walk out
2. Generally second - a few weeks in December before you can drive out
3 Drive out season
4 To much snow either tracks or snowmobile - or go on a road

this year the ice castles sit on land and the four wheelers roll for now. A couple years ago you could drive on before christmas and in 2012 nobody was doing anything but walking on. Last weekend i went to a little well known slough -- i hand pulled on - the guy who pulled up next to us had a side by side. By the time he shitted around loading everything backing off trailer - i had 30 holes and a fish pulled up - guess what he parked next to us pirated and never moved.

- - - Updated - - -

Like my brother said - to much gear boggs a person down. I am beginning to see where he is coming from

That guy needs to get more efficient at the ramp. I lower my enclosed trailer door, back my ranger out, drive past you as you are pulling your gear out to our shared spot, have my holes drilled, dead sticks up, and a 2nd Ice cold Busch light drank when you finally come sombering over all sweaty and thirsty...hahaha.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another thing a guy sees--- colder than shit out and some guy with ranger has a trailer -- you pass by him at the ramp you can see the guy and a big cloud of breath while he is wrestling his wheeler and portable of his trailer. Get out to the spot and look over the guy is still loading shit up ---no heater and the cab is open -- by the time the guy drives out he is about froze cant move. I suppose he has to justify his purchase and not drive his truck and trailer out on the ice.. I got my holes drilled shack warm and momma is happy she never got cold. This guy is just gettin to his spot.

That is the reality.

My buddy has a ranger -- we use it for hauling liquor to the beach - -that is the honest to god truth - and he has a hill at his place and believe me without the ranger i would be dead trying to go up and down on that hill with thirters and 1.75s. We could not get down the hill with a truck -- so in that case 100% justified.

Last edited:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds to me either the guy is drastically out of shape or is just learning or doesn't give a hoot about how long it takes him to get out to a spot.
OR MAYBE he is waiting for others to start catching fish so he knows where to set up!!!!!!!!!! :;:muahaha :;:exactly :;:thumbsup :;:cheers :;:rockit

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds to me either the guy is drastically out of shape or is just learning or doesn't give a hoot about how long it takes him to get out to a spot.
OR MAYBE he is waiting for others to start catching fish so he knows where to set up!!!!!!!!!! :;:muahaha :;:exactly :;:thumbsup :;:cheers :;:rockit

quick question -- normal january 8 day --- 10 degrees for a high and it hit 10below last night -- ice is 18-24 inches snowpack minimal. You gonna bring your quad or ranger on a trailer fck around at the ramp or you driving on the ice with your truck. I know what i am doing

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in the day when i was much younger, if the ice was that thick and thick all over, i would drive on it with the pickup. Way this year has gone i am not so sure i would do that and would be cautious about a SXS too in some spots.
We have ours in an enclosed trailer so everything is loaded up. So i would park, open the rear ramp door and back out, close the door and lock everything up and be out fishing. That is if i was in a rush. Being that i am old and body shot i don't care if it takes me 10 minutes or 45 minutes to get out there. I am enjoying what time i have left and not in any hurry one way or the other usually. No fish, deer, or elk is going to make me go hell bent for election anymore! It isn't worth it to me as that isn't what is important anymore. Others may feel differently and that is Ok too.
Now all that matters is God, Family, and Country!
Just my 2 cents.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
quick question -- normal january 8 day --- 10 degrees for a high and it hit 10below last night -- ice is 18-24 inches snowpack minimal. You gonna bring your quad or ranger on a trailer fck around at the ramp or you driving on the ice with your truck. I know what i am doing

My goal this season:

Parking wherever, stepping into the recently insulated/heated car hauler, dawning (in heated comfort) the snow gear and boots that have been hanging in said trailer drying since last time, unplugging the minnow aerator and vexilar chargers, backing out of the hauler, and going fishing pretty much anywhere I feel like the ice is safe. All the gear is dry and ready to go. Auger doesn't have a ton of ice, etc.

Late season mud have the access hosed for full size vehicles? Meh.

Ramp plugged with snow from the last blow? Meh.

Windy? Meh.

Etc? Meh.

All without taking a single thing in/out of my house or garage - other than food/bev. (and perhaps galwhofishes and Royce)

2020-02-21 15.19.38.jpg

So the answer is: The same thing Jan 8 that I'll do every trip regardless of most any date/conditions. #$%^&>

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76