Purchasing new wheelhouse

Davis2309

I have Decided to buy a new wheelhouse that I can also use with the family in the summer camping. So far I am split between getting the 2021 grey wolf 17 mph and 2021 the glacier 17 rv explorer. Anyone have any experiences or thoughts on these two? Or any other house that maybe I’m overlooking. I also like these two brands because I don’t have to travel all the way to the middle of Minnesota to get one. Thanks.

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
I have Decided to buy a new wheelhouse that I can also use with the family in the summer camping. So far I am split between getting the 2021 grey wolf 17 mph and 2021 the glacier 17 rv explorer. Anyone have any experiences or thoughts on these two? Or any other house that maybe I’m overlooking. I also like these two brands because I don’t have to travel all the way to the middle of Minnesota to get one. Thanks.

Cant speak for the Glacier, but the Grey wolf cabinetry and woodwork is absolutely atrocious. I didn't think anything could be worse than an ice castle. I was wrong.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glacier will have the best fit and finish out of them all, but will be the most expensive. The castle will be better built than the wolf but it ultimately comes down to your budget and what you find appealing. I have never bought a wheel house off of the lot, I’ve always special ordered them then I can change and add things I want different.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
If ice fishing the majority of the time, I would go with Glacier..more spendy but straps instead of cables that will rust.

HammsRMK

Honored Member
If buying used I would look at the cables and pivots of the wheels make sure they were greased regularly.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glacier hands down. North Country In Garrison has a few really nice ones on site.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd go out of my way a bit to buy a Yeti. All aluminum construction will make it a much nicer pull, you eliminate rusty frame parts, and resale will be considerably better.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd go out of my way a bit to buy a Yeti. All aluminum construction will make it a much nicer pull, you eliminate rusty frame parts, and resale will be considerably better.
I think Garrison has a Yeti dealer, or did a couple years back.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
You will only buy one yeti then you will be done with them. Aluminum doesn’t flex like steel, it cracks. I’ve seen a few of them with serious cracking issues. When the ice is smooth and easy access they will hold together, but rough ice is hard on them.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya, I have heard bad stuff about Yeti. I don’t think aluminum itself is the problem. How they are built must be the issue. Cattle pots are made of mostly aluminum and they don’t crack and fall apart. And they haul 60,000 pounds of cattle.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just make sure that the wheel fits inside the wheel house. On my last ship I didn’t make the walls wide enough and would catch my fingers when I turned the rudder.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya, I have heard bad stuff about Yeti. I don’t think aluminum itself is the problem. How they are built must be the issue. Cattle pots are made of mostly aluminum and they don’t crack and fall apart. And they haul 60,000 pounds of cattle.
Pots get many hours of maintenance welding to hold them together. Done my fair share of welding on them

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
You will only buy one yeti then you will be done with them. Aluminum doesn’t flex like steel, it cracks. I’ve seen a few of them with serious cracking issues. When the ice is smooth and easy access they will hold together, but rough ice is hard on them.

I have never seen one first hand I guess. I would imagine they would have addressed this on newer models??? I know quality aluminum trailers don't have excessive issues. Strange.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a "Lodge" fish house that has good build quality. My only complaint is the weight. You feel it at over 4000 pounds.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never seen one first hand I guess. I would imagine they would have addressed this on newer models??? I know quality aluminum trailers don't have excessive issues. Strange.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a "Lodge" fish house that has good build quality. My only complaint is the weight. You feel it at over 4000 pounds.
I had 2009 16 ft lodge, best house I had. Fit and finish was excellent. The only drawback I had was it had a single heavy leaf spring, I broke both of them within a week of each other. But they were easy to replace and easy to get. I should’ve kept it.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was in the same situation earlier last year, and finally settled on Yetti. Found a used grand escape that I couldn't pass up. I'm very happy with the finish and it's a little over 1,000lbs lighter than a comparable ice castle.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had 2009 16 ft lodge, best house I had. Fit and finish was excellent. The only drawback I had was it had a single heavy leaf spring, I broke both of them within a week of each other. But they were easy to replace and easy to get. I should’ve kept it.

I have pretty much the same thing. I was going to sell it, but thought better of it after looking how crazy the new stuff was as far as price. No issues with the springs so far. It has been on some hell rides coming off snow filled lakes. I like the cedar inside a lot.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Do you think spray foam adds enough strength to prevent the cracking issues? I'm looking at a spray foamed 6.5x14 ridgeline, only weights about 1500 pounds.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you think spray foam adds enough strength to prevent the cracking issues? I'm looking at a spray foamed 6.5x14 ridgeline, only weights about 1500 pounds.
I don’t have a factual answer for you, IMO I’d say not much at all but then again just my opinion. Look over the pivot points of the axel that attach to the frame and look at as many welds as you can see. Usually on aluminum cracks show up easy. Look for black lines on welds, that usually means a thin crack is starting.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69