Wolf Hunt

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just guna throw this out there and see what sticks.. Looking at doing a future wolf hunt and figured I'd see if there's any decent personal experiences/recommendations out there. Somewhere fairly close (Montana, Alaska, Idaho, Canada, Minnesota, Wyoming) would be preferred. Assuming most tags are over the counter? Any suggestions or experience would be much appreciated as it's a most definite bucket list hunt and animal (black) for me to say the least.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just guna throw this out there and see what sticks.. Looking at doing a future wolf hunt and figured I'd see if there's any decent personal experiences/recommendations out there. Somewhere fairly close (Montana, Alaska, Idaho, Canada, Minnesota, Wyoming) would be preferred. Assuming most tags are over the counter? Any suggestions or experience would be much appreciated as it's a most definite bucket list hunt and animal (black) for me to say the least.

Shoot all the ones in MN, just don’t tell anyone!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I missed a wolf while hunting Caribou on the N Slope of the Brooks in AK. They came close enough to camp to hear them howling about midnight. While making coffee the next AM we spotted one just sitting on the riverbank. Through the fog I couldn't get a range on him. However, I was sure I'd ranged the point he was on @ 300yds the day before. I should've known better, you couldn't see 300yds in the thick fog (DUMBASS!!). I leveled the crosshairs between his ears atop his head and whistled the bullet over him (200yd zero). It's been 10yrs and it still bothers me, a lot.

I've seen them in N MN in broad daylight prior to them having a season. Then they had a season that was lottery only. Now they don't have a season but that may change for 2021 unless the new administration puts wolves back onto the endangered/threatened species list. In short, don't plan on MN anytime soon, even if they do resume a season it's likely it'll be a lottery with very low odds of drawing.

I saw 2 wolves just inside the W border of Yellowstone a bit S of the 320 Ranch trailhead in the dark, they came across the road in front of me, there was 2 bull elk standing in the river another 1/2Mi N of the wolves.

I've not seen nor heard wolves in WY. I haven't spent very much time hunting in WY either, ~3weeks total since 2000.

We didn't see nor hear any wolves hunting moose for a week just N of the Peace River in Alberta.

I'd try to find somewhere that has a large population of elk, moose, or deer wintering that also has access for hunting. Most of the time "wintering" means the valley floor and locked-up private land.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The Alaska Wild Sheep Foundation auctions a hunt off every year at their banquet in April. It’s worth looking into if they offer it again this year. Not sure of the outfit or their success but they must be alright if they keep offering the hunt. I think they’re operating off snowmobile off the Denali Highway. Every year it’s sold I always feel the price sounds like a bargain.

Edit: The hunt is offered by Coke Wallace who is a legit stud.https://www.onlinehuntingauctions.com/Seven-Day-Winter-Predator-Hunt-in-Alaska_i37259780

Submitted my aerial permit last week. I’m hoping this year is finally the year I can make it out!
D7E9401C-5749-4BB2-8A12-484D530904A3.jpg

Last edited:

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
A neighbor and friend at the Angle has been diy in Ontario every year for the last 4 years except last year. Success every year.

If you want details send me a PM

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pm sent ;:;bowdown been watching wolf hunts on the tube constantly and cannot believe what's in these stomachs..they do a number in a hurry and can't imagine how they digest all that hair from a carcass!

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I missed a wolf while hunting Caribou on the N Slope of the Brooks in AK. They came close enough to camp to hear them howling about midnight. While making coffee the next AM we spotted one just sitting on the riverbank. Through the fog I couldn't get a range on him. However, I was sure I'd ranged the point he was on @ 300yds the day before. I should've known better, you couldn't see 300yds in the thick fog (DUMBASS!!). I leveled the crosshairs between his ears atop his head and whistled the bullet over him (200yd zero). It's been 10yrs and it still bothers me, a lot.

I've seen them in N MN in broad daylight prior to them having a season. Then they had a season that was lottery only. Now they don't have a season but that may change for 2021 unless the new administration puts wolves back onto the endangered/threatened species list. In short, don't plan on MN anytime soon, even if they do resume a season it's likely it'll be a lottery with very low odds of drawing.

I saw 2 wolves just inside the W border of Yellowstone a bit S of the 320 Ranch trailhead in the dark, they came across the road in front of me, there was 2 bull elk standing in the river another 1/2Mi N of the wolves.

I've not seen nor heard wolves in WY. I haven't spent very much time hunting in WY either, ~3weeks total since 2000.

We didn't see nor hear any wolves hunting moose for a week just N of the Peace River in Alberta.

I'd try to find somewhere that has a large population of elk, moose, or deer wintering that also has access for hunting. Most of the time "wintering" means the valley floor and locked-up private land.
The only concentration of wolves in WY are west of the Bighorns in the NW corner of the state. Wolves are not as common in the rest of the state. Mountain lions are another story.....

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
too bad the border is closed, pretty sure some guys go up in Manitoba every year.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
From what I have gathered, it takes time to find the pack first and foremost with howling and then the hike will be on.. Wish i lived in wolf country as it would be more than a passion pursuing them. Guess I best get the elliptical going..

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Even if food is readily available, they still will break out of the area to mark what I assume "their territory boumakers.
I see wolf tracks almost daily but seldom see the makers.
If I was seriously looking to kill one, I'd but out a remote bait station with one way in.
Gonna take a shitload of meat to keep m coming tho.
Ravens n eagles will find it first and the eat alot.
Trying to cut tracks n follow them is almost futile unless there are plenty of roads.
I've cut tracks at sunup and ended up over 10 miles away at dark several times.
This is all from Minnesota.
Best of luck.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see wolf tracks almost daily but seldom see the makers.
Exactly why I've recently been absolutely hung up on the "majestic" attraction of them. I want to push my limits before I get too much damn older..I know I've put on the 6-10 miles in a day walking for coyotes and deer but this is different now so why not give it a shot . (Prob midlife crisis kinda thing but why not I guess..)
Have a good amount of bands from the waterfowl community over the years, but the neck collar has always eluded me in the same aspect as the ol wiley wolf.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to go ice fishing up at souix narrows and there was a local with trapping rights and saw him a few time with wolves he caught. He told stories of how wolves would drive deer and moose out onto bare ice and how bad of slaughter it was when the deer fell on the bare ice.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When we shed hunt in northern Saskatchewan, Canada the wolf are fairly common. Big concern with the shed hunting dog and losing him to the wolves. Only weapons we could have were our hunting knifes.

However i know darn well a few times they would tract us and one time they got up behind us and one let out a scream follow by howls from a bunch that echo through the forest that sent a thrill down all of our spines. I believe i felt the vibrations from that scream and will never forget. I cannot begin to tell how loud it was and how long it lasted.

Buddy had one about 50 yards to his side that follow him for a ways so it was all exciting for the moments. They are big and do run in a pack, at least for the most part up there. I assume they would not go after us but that was only an assumption. Finally i did bring a can of bear repellent or pepper spray with me for whatever that was good for. There were also a fair number of black bears with there young but they were not a concern. But we did get close to some of them.

Anyways i will probably pass on a hunt or at least have a few buddies with me and a shotgun for close range after that experience. db

- - - Updated - - -

And as i talk about experience got to thinking in my retirement about today and yesterday:

Beer:
In 1966 when i started drinking old mill. I drank it to get in the right frame of mind and hoping the young lady with me also got in the right frame of mind. There was a plan that never did turn out the way it should have in part due to my inability to drink very much before brain got to far gone. Never really enjoy the taste that much.

Today i drink old mill because i enjoy the taste of it and am able to drink more and keep the brain intact.

boobs:
In 1966 it did not matter the shape or size. They were there for me to touch and give the young lady and myself a thrill that would last a life time for the two of us.
Today i do not even consider touching but know that shape and size does matters and now enjoy the beauty of a bare boob without the touch. Looking gives the thrill now for the both of us.

Things change with age for sometimes the better. db

Last edited:

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member

If this doesn't wana make you track a pack..

Les johnson is FUN guy to watch and learn from (knowing he comes up here to call helps) but this guy's attitude is something to envy.

"If Ya can't have fun, go home" rings true

Last edited:

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
When we shed hunt in northern Saskatchewan, Canada the wolf are fairly common. Big concern with the shed hunting dog and losing him to the wolves. Only weapons we could have were our hunting knifes.

However i know darn well a few times they would tract us and one time they got up behind us and one let out a scream follow by howls from a bunch that echo through the forest that sent a thrill down all of our spines. I believe i felt the vibrations from that scream and will never forget. I cannot begin to tell how loud it was and how long it lasted.

Buddy had one about 50 yards to his side that follow him for a ways so it was all exciting for the moments. They are big and do run in a pack, at least for the most part up there. I assume they would not go after us but that was only an assumption. Finally i did bring a can of bear repellent or pepper spray with me for whatever that was good for. There were also a fair number of black bears with there young but they were not a concern. But we did get close to some of them.

Anyways i will probably pass on a hunt or at least have a few buddies with me and a shotgun for close range after that experience. db

- - - Updated - - -

And as i talk about experience got to thinking in my retirement about today and yesterday:

Beer:
In 1966 when i started drinking old mill. I drank it to get in the right frame of mind and hoping the young lady with me also got in the right frame of mind. There was a plan that never did turn out the way it should have in part due to my inability to drink very much before brain got to far gone. Never really enjoy the taste that much.

Today i drink old mill because i enjoy the taste of it and am able to drink more and keep the brain intact.

boobs:
In 1966 it did not matter the shape or size. They were there for me to touch and give the young lady and myself a thrill that would last a life time for the two of us.
Today i do not even consider touching but know that shape and size does matters and now enjoy the beauty of a bare boob without the touch. Looking gives the thrill now for the both of us.

Things change with age for sometimes the better. db

Personally, I will never tired of your old mill stories as i truly believe you're one of the last solider standing sipping it and reminds me drinking with my fav people of all time (grandparents at the bar).

Part of your post made me reflect on a family losing 5 hounds to these boys and fuels my fire that much more..

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Idaho had a lot almost ran one over two years ago. Didn’t have the rifle in the front seat or it would have been a close shot. That was coming down hazard creek road. I can’t imagine how hard it would be to hunt there with ads deep snow.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
bring your sled and some sammiches to northen minn...plenty of targets along the sled trails. they follow the food source,folks leave trash out on the lakes...

wolf-fb.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76