Wolf Hunt

Lando

Established Member
The only concentration of wolves in WY are west of the Bighorns in the NW corner of the state. Wolves are not as common in the rest of the state. Mountain lions are another story.....

Too many around me.....come up here and shoot a few.

139126323_403842127370091_6173937509013057078_n.jpg

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wait, what? You missed?:;:smokin
I missed a wolf while hunting Caribou on the N Slope of the Brooks in AK. They came close enough to camp to hear them howling about midnight. While making coffee the next AM we spotted one just sitting on the riverbank. Through the fog I couldn't get a range on him. However, I was sure I'd ranged the point he was on @ 300yds the day before. I should've known better, you couldn't see 300yds in the thick fog (DUMBASS!!). I leveled the crosshairs between his ears atop his head and whistled the bullet over him (200yd zero). It's been 10yrs and it still bothers me, a lot.

I've seen them in N MN in broad daylight prior to them having a season. Then they had a season that was lottery only. Now they don't have a season but that may change for 2021 unless the new administration puts wolves back onto the endangered/threatened species list. In short, don't plan on MN anytime soon, even if they do resume a season it's likely it'll be a lottery with very low odds of drawing.

I saw 2 wolves just inside the W border of Yellowstone a bit S of the 320 Ranch trailhead in the dark, they came across the road in front of me, there was 2 bull elk standing in the river another 1/2Mi N of the wolves.

I've not seen nor heard wolves in WY. I haven't spent very much time hunting in WY either, ~3weeks total since 2000.

We didn't see nor hear any wolves hunting moose for a week just N of the Peace River in Alberta.

I'd try to find somewhere that has a large population of elk, moose, or deer wintering that also has access for hunting. Most of the time "wintering" means the valley floor and locked-up private land.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank goodness for scientific organizations like Sierra Club, WildEarth, and Humane Society to protect these majestic beasts from you bloodthirsty brutes

Screenshot 2021-01-14 134243.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where is up here?

Well, Lando introduced himself as a fly-fisherman from WY about 2 weeks ago. Then, just above your post he mentioned the Greybull drainage which is also in WY.

So, I bet the wolf and invite is for WY.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well, Lando introduced himself as a fly-fisherman from WY about 2 weeks ago. Then, just above your post he mentioned the Greybull drainage which is also in WY.

So, I bet the wolf and invite is for WY.

in the greybull drainage

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76