Lake george kidder county

Chipper

Has anyone ever fished this lake , they say there are no fish but ive heard people fishing it back in the 80s. George lake Aka/ salt lake kidder county

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went through a lot of the studies in college. It’s insanely deep (200ish feet) and about half as salty as the ocean. I imagine during the 80s drought it was even saltier. Not much for aquatic life as far as I remember, besides some unique algae. I know there’s a local legend of someone putting a shark in there and it survived, but we all know how those things go. Also, access would be tough.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, deep enough that the bottom is never disturbed, which is why they are able to study the past climate from core samples. It’s also stratified, just above freezing at the bottom no matter the temp on top.

Chipper

The lake is insane deep i know its sodium sulphate unlike the ocean which is sodium cloride, i wonder if the coho salmon could survive in there

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
well this is an interesting topic! never heard of it. google earth here i come. what's the glacial/geologic structure allowing it to be 200 feet deep in north dakota?

it just looks like your run of the mill but much deeper than normal kettle lake. [MENTION=389]Allen[/MENTION] ?

- - - Updated - - -

google earth takes me to little lake south of a farm. i was looking at that one. google maps takes me to a decent sized lake by a wildlife refuge. i assume that's the one you guys are talking about?

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
well this is an interesting topic! never heard of it. google earth here i come. what's the glacial/geologic structure allowing it to be 200 feet deep in north dakota?

it just looks like your run of the mill but much deeper than normal kettle lake. @Allen ?

- - - Updated - - -

google earth takes me to little lake south of a farm. i was looking at that one. google maps takes me to a decent sized lake by a wildlife refuge. i assume that's the one you guys are talking about?

I am not at all familiar with Lake George's specific construction. That article said it was from "thrusting of ice" during the last glaciation, which suggests it is essentially a divot on the Earth's surface. Oddly enough, if I remember correctly, that's how Devils Lake was formed. Sully's Hill on the south side is the dirt pushed out of the DL basin.

Most of the Prairie Potholes (lakes and big wetlands) in ND are the result of large chunks of ice that remained in place as the rest of the glacier melted around them. Glaciers actually carry a lot of dirt, rocks, sand, gravel, you name it. So when the ice melts it carries that material away as sediment (aka glacial outwash) and deposits it alongside those HUGE chunks of ice. Eventually though, that ice shall also melt, but where it sat on the Earth's surface is now surrounded by higher ground and you have this large void that remains filled with water.

Anyway, I'd have to look closer at Lake George to see if it really is a divot (is there a large pile of dirt, most likely on its south or southwest side) or if it's just the deepest lake I know of formed by the same processes that created the vast majority of our other Prairie Potholes.

It's salinity would suggest it intersects the Dakota Sandstone (the Dakota daylights out in the RRV, think of Kelly's slough by Grand Forks and that whole strip of saline wetlands that runs N-S in the RRV), but I would have guessed that formation to be somewhat deeper in Kidder county. So I am not 100% sure on that one.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
It was a very popular swimming and picnicing lake back in the early 1900's. One of my uncles drowned there in 1933 when he and a group of friends were partying there. He was 19. The rumor at that time was that the lake had no bottom because no one had a rope long enough to reach the bottom.

Chipper

It appears that the glacial deposits ore on east and west side of the like , there is tons of gravel out there

- - - Updated - - -

It appears that the glacial deposits ore on east and west side of the like , there is tons of gravel out there

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
Used to go swimming there as a kid. It’s was salty. You were almost white when you dried off. Had buildings and cabins along the shore on the south side. Was very popular. When the water came up in the late 90’s every building was flooded and gone.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
One thing is for sure, with it being that salty, acquiring a few leeches while swimming shouldn't happen.

I fricking hate those things.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79