Use of Sucker Minnows in ND

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm just curious as to how states like MN and WI can tolerate the use of suckers as live bait whereas, except for a couple of eastern rivers, they are illegal in ND. Anyone have facts or opinions to share?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can use them on the Red River. Some small lakes and dams in ND are prone to white sucker overpopulation so they have been made illegal. If you want to use bigger bait in ND besides the Red, you need to get creek chubs.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm just curious as to how states like MN and WI can tolerate the use of suckers as live bait whereas, except for a couple of eastern rivers, they are illegal in ND. Anyone have facts or opinions to share?

They are native in WY so you are allowed to use them in the drainages you catch them in. Otherwise you have to buy statewide minnows out here that are farmed in Arkansas for $5 a DOZEN!

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can use them on the Red River. Some small lakes and dams in ND are prone to white sucker overpopulation so they have been made illegal. If you want to use bigger bait in ND besides the Red, you need to get creek chubs.

how does one get creek chubs in winter? I have my non winter creek chub spots, but I’m curious if there is a way to get them in winter.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really miss being able to fish Sakakawea with suckers. They were awesome, and readily available in our stock dam.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never understood GNF stance on the use of sucker minnows in certain waters. Just because they don't want them in a smaller lake doesn't mean we shouldn't be allowed to use them in larger lakes and reservoirs where they already exist and have never been an issue. Creek chubs are too hard to get and keep. Just more feel good crap from the department IMO.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
how does one get creek chubs in winter? I have my non winter creek chub spots, but I’m curious if there is a way to get them in winter.

If one could find some crawlers could you catch them under a bobber in the creeks that don't freeze?

My vast experience of exactly once :);:stirthepot) fishing Turtle River State Park was that creek chubs were an every-cast deal on a crawler chunk hung shallow under a bobber.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never understood GNF stance on the use of sucker minnows in certain waters. Just because they don't want them in a smaller lake doesn't mean we shouldn't be allowed to use them in larger lakes and reservoirs where they already exist and have never been an issue. Creek chubs are too hard to get and keep. Just more feel good crap from the department IMO.

I agree, but laws tend to govern the lowest denominator. If they’re available, people tend to use them wherever. Much like Tony Stewart can probably drive like a boss at 0.08, but some teeny bopper has a couple seltzers and takes out a family.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
If one could find some crawlers could you catch them under a bobber in the creeks that don't freeze?

My vast experience of exactly once :);:stirthepot) fishing Turtle River State Park was that creek chubs were an every-cast deal on a crawler chunk hung shallow under a bobber.

otters cleaned them out of there, zero left now

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79