Crossbow?? What next.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Things are getting crazy in crossbow world.
Ravin has just announced the new 2021 models. A new R500 model and a new R18. The R500 features speeds of 500fps and 3.6" axle to axle length when cocked. Available with an Electronic Drive Kit for easy cocking. The R18 is a completely out of the box crossbow, that we will have to see to believe. 330 fps and 1.3" cocked.

FB_IMG_1610535839672.jpg
FB_IMG_1610535849504.jpg
FB_IMG_1610535846966.jpg

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Although necessary for some, I've always despised the damn things for some odd reason. If im flipping through the hunting shows and I see someone using one it gets changed immediately, just a disdain dislike i can't get over I guess.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I despise cross bows unless you really can’t pull a bow back. Seems everyone has a crossbow permit these days. Oh I got a hang nail and got my crossbow permit....

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Tore my rotary cup and ended up with a permit.

I would much prefer to hunt with my Mathew and maybe with the right excerise program could again. Up to a certain distance it is as good as a rifle. But am scare to try and maybe tear again. Do not want to repair that again even if i could repair for a second time. So i guess will continue using the crossbow. Two deer in 10 years with it so not a big killer of deer.

But again, it is not the same as using a compound and that is not the same as a recurve.
Also with the crossbow i am a lot less likely to wound the deer versus my Mathew. db

- - - Updated - - -

Much can be said today with bullets, scopes and rifles. Mainly in the scopes that are now available compare to just a short time ago. db

Last edited:

Happycamper

Honored Member
I wore out my shoulder trying to keep up with the younger guys sandbagging our homes in 2011. After surgery I couldn't take the chance so hence the crossbow. You don't think about it until you need it to keep on keepin on. Same can be said for stabalizing bars at the boat docks.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had both rotstors done. The right is like a cross stitch. The doctor said no pulling or lifting over 25 lb. Like db I woukd like to get back to my Mathews or my longow which was really fun. I tried once with the Mathrws on 40, and then worried about the pain for a week. Oh well.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
After all my neck and back surgeries i had to quit bow hunting and gun hunting all together. Really miss the bow hunting more than anything. Doc said try a cross bow and i said no i can't lay my head down on the stock after my last neck surgery so all out of options. I didn't like the sound of cross bow hunting anyways but if you can't do it any other way i am not against it for them.
Now i just carry the camera. Enjoy that more and more all the time.
Now if i can just get a darn good picture of Sasquatch!!!!!!!!! :;:rockit

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
To all crossbow permit holders make sure you renew it every five years they are not forever permit even when they say permanent on them . Just went through this with a friend . Look on your account page on gf website and at very bottom it will say when it expires

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My first permit was one year. Did not realize and hunted for the last four without a permit. Glad I never got check. Db

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fuck it..., if keeps people out hunting so be it.
I will hate the day when time comes where I may need one to keep hunting, but the time is coming!
My shoulder is shot.
I can still pull 60#'s but it hurts. Yeah, they may be pushing the limits on crossbows but then again, they've been doing it with compounds also.

Founding Member
Founding Member
By the way, I'm shooting an xbow as well, not bashing.
I'm just glad they get folks out hunting as well believe me!
These new outfits just don't even resemble anything I've ever seen. The folks at Ravin are some engineering geniuses!
I'll admit though, after 40 years of weekly bow shooting, id go back to a bow in a heartbeat if I could.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those look like they would work nice out the window. :;:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
After all my neck and back surgeries i had to quit bow hunting and gun hunting all together. Really miss the bow hunting more than anything. Doc said try a cross bow and i said no i can't lay my head down on the stock after my last neck surgery so all out of options. I didn't like the sound of cross bow hunting anyways but if you can't do it any other way i am not against it for them.

BBJ can you shoot s handgun? If so it could get you back into hunting. Maybe a heavy 44 mag. or a 10mm semi auto, or even one of those Thompson Center that shoot a rifle cartridge.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
BBJ can you shoot s handgun? If so it could get you back into hunting. Maybe a heavy 44 mag. or a 10mm semi auto, or even one of those Thompson Center that shoot a rifle cartridge.

my dad had a TC contender in 7-30 waters. Fun to shoot! Neat cartridge too I always thought.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
The products that Ravin comes with is pretty interesting. As far as shooting a crossbow I can at least contest that they are pretty fun to fire for target at least. Mitchel and I had some good shooting sessions with that ten point he got from you 5575. He was also able to put a tag on a nice doe this year as well

Mr. Pike

I'm scheduled to have my neck fused in December. Does this mean I won't be able to shoot a rifle or my crossbow that I just purchased last month?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
You been watching Expedition Bigfoot? They moved it to Discovery this year...still freakn' ME out.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven’t heard a modern one shoot, but 5 years ago I was shocked at how loud they were at the shot. Are they as quiet as a bow now?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
If they are loud they better be fast . I was amazed when a doe crouched and ducked under my first shot at a deer with my old recurve when I was a kid.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm scheduled to have my neck fused in December. Does this mean I won't be able to shoot a rifle or my crossbow that I just purchased last month?
ask your doctor....

I wonder if all the people who get pissed about crossbows also get pissed when they cannot park in handicapped parking spots...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76