Buying snowshoes advice

gatorbaiter

Founding Member
Founding Member
We are looking at buying my brother a pair of snowshoes for his birthday. He lives in middle Wisconsin ( a ND transplant so please don't hold it against him) and likes to go hiking in the woods. They get some snow and it can be pretty wet some times.
I own a pair myself but never use them since they usually are more bother than they are worth in small to medium snow, however my brother still wants a pair.
So is their anyone on here with some advice on style, quality, or anything else I should know? Our price range is probably in the low to moderate range. We don't want to cheap out but no sense in spending several hundred on something only being used occasionally. Thanks guys.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
depth of snow and the weight of the person determines the size needed. I have a couple pair of the aluminum snow shoes. one small for little snow and a pair 32 inches long for deeper snow.

bilbo

Honored Member
Type of snow, weight, and type of terrain are the biggest factors. Bigger shoes mean more flotation and easier walking. But the size becomes a hindrance in woods sometimes. Pointy tips help keep the shoes from getting kicked to either side by branches/grass but they weigh more. The weight of the user is very important and must include gear as well; need bigger shoes if carrying a backpack or something.

If someone is new to it and wants to try it out, the Magnesium Army ones are relatively inexpensive and pretty decent. I have a pair that I use a lot, even though I have 'nicer' ones, because they're reasonably light, work well, and I don't feel bad about beating on them (crossing roads, dirt, ice, etc.). Usually it's what I recommend if someone wants to try the activity out.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If he is in the woods he'd likely need bear paw style without the long tails. Whatever his weight, go up 25 lbs or more unless he is on groomed trails.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If he is in the woods he'd likely need bear paw style without the long tails. Whatever his weight, go up 25 lbs or more unless he is on groomed trails.

When I was a high-energy lad I looked into these for when I went on my coulee walks. They seemed like the ticket for dealing with woods and brush.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
we vacation in the reno - tahoe area, and snowshoeing is a big deal there... i'd check out the local rental shops around there and see what they rent out... rental companies usually want medium end and durable, so that might fit your bill...

if you call, just tell them you want something your dredlocks won't get stuck in when strapped to your backpack, and you'll be in...

gatorbaiter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like it raider :;:cheers. Thanks guys appreciate the advice. And ya rowdie i thought of that but I actually have some decent outdoor minded nephews coming along and they might use them. I take em out to fish and hike and such and tell them that when they hit their upper teens they gonna have to drill the holes, clean the fish, and drive to and from while i nap. Its what i call investing in the future.

bilbo

Honored Member
I built a set of wood traditionals from a kit. Aesthetically, traditionals can't be beat. They are my favorite but I always feel bad when I have to drag them across roads/paths and stuff. They are big though, a little over 60" and could probably float my family. The least fun part was the lacing. I built them in my early 20s and my hands looked like 75 year old arthritic hands for a couple days when I laced them. I have another smaller kit that I need to put together but just keep getting distracted.

Redrifle14

Try colemans.com: USGI Lightweight Military surplus snowshoes

I've tried a lot of snowshoes. Love these lightweight military surplus shoes. Bought a pair for myself, my wife, my brother-in-law and father-in-law. No issues. Worth a look. Good luck!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76