Waterfowl snack sticks

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I'm looking at using the mallards and geese from this season to make some sticks. After looking on the internet I didn't find much. I plan on using the seasoning I typically use but was wondering on what ratio of pork to waterfowl you recommend? With the waterfowl being lean I'm thinking 50/50 but is that not enough? Don't want to end up with a greasy mess. Thanks for any info.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I use 50-50 and use pork butts that are medium fat. Meaning I trim off the bigger chunks of fat from the butts. I also use the seasonings i would use for any other snack stick. pretty much use the same mixture as if it were venison.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So I'm looking at using the mallards and geese from this season to make some sticks. After looking on the internet I didn't find much. I plan on using the seasoning I typically use but was wondering on what ratio of pork to waterfowl you recommend? With the waterfowl being lean I'm thinking 50/50 but is that not enough? Don't want to end up with a greasy mess. Thanks for any info.

Just mix it 50/50 with pork and you will never be able to tell the difference, you can just use the same mixes, I would suggest some Owens BBQ! Made goose sausage one year and turned out better than all of the other venison sausage we made.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree 50/50 with pork butt will be sufficient. I dont trim the butts at all. Made 10lbs of elk sticks a couple weeks and they were pretty spot on for fat/moisture. Just dont overcook them.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty good advice so far. Count me in on the 50/50 mix. I would add NOT to fine grind your waterfowl meat. The fine grind IME on waterfowl meat comes out like paste and isn't real easy to mix evenly. Good luck and happy cooking!

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depends,when grindind up snow geese 70/30 pork butt,honkers 50/50

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105