ND bill to allow users to sue social media

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/twitter-facebook-censorship-state-bill-sue

North Dakota State Rep. Tom Kading (R from Fargo, Civ Eng. degree from NDSU, then law and MBA degrees from UND) explains the bill he is sponsoring to allow users to sue social media over certain restrictions.

After being shocked by Big Techcensoring President Trumpand other conservatives in recent months, Republican state lawmakers introduced a bill that would put social media giants like Twitter and Facebook in legal trouble for restricting political posts in North Dakota.

"I drafted it in December and things have only gotten worse," State Rep. Tom Kading, the lead sponsor of the bill, told "Fox & Friends" Saturday.

"I'm frankly shocked at what's happening to our country and censoring does not create unity, it does not help the situation of division in our country, and it does not de-escalate the situation," Kading said. "All it really does is make those who have been silenced dig in deeper and be more suspicious of what's going on."

The bill states that social media sites would be liable in a civil lawsuit for damages to a North Dakota resident "whose speech is restricted, censored, or suppressed," as long as it is not "obscene, lewd, lascivious, filthy, excessively violent, harassing, or otherwise objectionable."

“If a website comes out and selectively publishes information," Kading explained, citing case law from state supreme courts, "or manipulates true information in order to create a certain desired narrative, this restrictive action can essentially amount to defamation."

Republicans have questioned whether social media giants should still be afforded liability protections under Section 230 -- a rule dating to 1996 that shields social media companies from being held liable for third-party posts on their platforms while allowing them to moderate that content.

The North Dakota state representative believes his bill is in compliance with Section 230, adding: "If Big Tech doesn't follow their terms of service and they are banning one particular political party ... and they censor outside the scope of Section 230, then there's this civil liability."

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
GST revenge. He got banned on all 3 main sites in ND.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Screw all social media. I don't miss any of it.

Just Nodakangler and a few other sites for me now and that's it!!

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have never used fb or Twitter and happy as hell that they're FINALLY being seen for what they really are. They baited their traps very well I must say though.

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Most people these days are oblivious to the real world we live in because of social media! It is the root of all evil as well as money now we have the devil on our backs what do we do now?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the group, Ice Fishing Unfiltered, on fagbook, its pretty cool

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I like the group, Ice Fishing Unfiltered, on fagbook, its pretty cool

Fishing, hunting, outdoor sights cool!!
Political, what time your eating what you are eating, and when and where you took a shit last! sights not so cool!! Everyone knows everything these days at least they think they do because there all informed of everything that’s going on. Rapped up in the new world normal! Fuck new normal! think outside the (box) smart phone!! The world is passing people by, there going to wake up some day and say what did I do with my life!

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah! More laws to regulate the private sector! Exactly what the conservative movement stands for! What a bunch of pussies.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see no problem with this since it involved a governmental entity

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screw all social media. I don't miss any of it.

Just Nodakangler and a few other sites for me now and that's it!!

Other than NDA and a couple of other sites, I can say that I never have had or will participate in the Social media circus.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah! More laws to regulate the private sector! Exactly what the conservative movement stands for! What a bunch of pussies.

who runs the internet??? seriously... (campaign donations will give you a clue)...

can you really look at the last election cycle and say that the internet is "private sector", with anything goes on the left, and no rebuttal allowed on the right??? who are the pussies??? what were they afraid of??? who is restricting who???

i'm sure you're fine with private sector businesses being looted and burned to the ground right???

cops being beaten down the the point that they won't even respond to 911 calls???

neighborhoods full of minorities who don't dare leave their houses because of the crime that is now allowed???

major cities who cannot get anyone to even test for law enforcement jobs because cops are all bad???

huge leo retirement rates without anyone to replace them???

and by the way, pussies want to censor unfettered speech on both sides of an issue... who is trying to restrict who???

this bill is trying to stop that...

lastly, a few years ago i'd say good luck in 3 1/2 years... but with the election fraud system your side has set up now, i'll just say we're all fucked... enjoy what you voted for... you deserve it...

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Social media. I was talking about social media. Also I’m not a liberal. Nice try though

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
The problem with that Fly is social media isn’t just a place to see where your aunt’s cousin’s sister’s best friend had pizza last night. Google, facebook, youtube and twitter are some of the biggest companies in the world and are the most widely used to get info out to the people. Letting them censor half of the info while enjoying the platform protections of section 230 is a slippery slope that has gotten us nowhere good real quick.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62