BisMan Mudjacking

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have some concrete that is settling in various places around our "new to us" house. I was curious if I could get them corrected with mudjacking. Specifically,

Our backyard patio slab has sunk towards the house, and I'm concerned about drainage against the foundation.

The sidewalk to the front porch seems to have slid away from the garage about an inch. Here, rather than raising I would really need it to be pushed laterally back towards the house. Not sure if this is possible.

Steps coming down out the back garage door sliding down and breaking.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Recommendations on who to hire? Warnings or suggestions? Am i better tearing it all out and re doing it? Obviously this would turn into a big job, IMO, as well as more $$$.

Anyways, looking for comment from some of you who may have experience. Thanks!

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I live in south Bismarck and have had certain parts of my driveway and front sidewalk jacked several times. They do a very nice job and it looks great when done....the 3 inch circles they drill into the cement do not bother me. I have jacked mine 4 times in 20 years and expect to do it again eventually. Not sure why it keeps settling but I was told that wet dirt will always settle over time so that may be the reason. I think there is only 1 business from Bismarck that jacks with mud and that is Concrete Mudjacking Services. 258-9559

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i've used em in our area and was happy. sounds like a perfect job for the back patio. i am having trouble picturing what you are saying with the back garage steps. on the front sidewalk, i would consider tearing up and redoing since it sounds easily accessible to something like a bobcat. the cost to jack a slab wasn't a whole lot cheaper than tearing up and repouring in our area for what i would guess was my 10X20 or so foot slab before i built a shed on it. i think the mudjack folks were about 75% of the cost of tear up and repour. but, jacking was certainly quicker and a lot less work. have em come look at the steps on the garage. they will tell ya if they can benefit you.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
when you say new - how new? Can you go after the builder on it?

Here in little minni were used to soil moving 24 7 -- to dry to wet --- when it drys the soil compacts --one has water thee soil around the house once in a while. same with the patios etc -- so that it all keeps uniform ---

my non professional opinion.

The other thing is that some use different materials for mud jacking. I have had some last a long time and others they are right back to where they were. I just had a patio done - they drilled into my garage foundation and put rebar in the holes so it doesnt drop. Steps sounds like buy two thirty packs and have some buds over to lift that thing back.

- - - Updated - - -

when you say new - how new? Can you go after the builder on it?

Here in little minni were used to soil moving 24 7 -- to dry to wet --- when it drys the soil compacts --one has water thee soil around the house once in a while. same with the patios etc -- so that it all keeps uniform ---

my non professional opinion.

The other thing is that some use different materials for mud jacking. I have had some last a long time and others they are right back to where they were. I just had a patio done - they drilled into my garage foundation and put rebar in the holes so it doesnt drop. Steps sounds like buy two thirty packs and have some buds over to lift that thing back.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for your input.

When you come out the back garage door, there is concrete steps going down to the backyard patio. The rear of the lot is lower than the front. I like your idea of having them come assess the situation first and get a price quote before I decide anything. By the front sidewalk and door it looks like there is rebar in there next to the garage but has still slid away from the house.

The house was built in 2012, we are the second owners. Im sure the builders would tell us to pound sand. But it would be nice for them to see the end result of the pour, or the contractor who did it for them. Almost all of it has settled in some fashion. We knew this before moving in, obviously it wasn't a deal breaker for us. But would now like to fix what I can fix. And put together a plan for possibly replacing.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
i think the mudjack folks were about 75% of the cost of tear up and repour. but, jacking was certainly quicker and a lot less work. have em come look at the steps on the garage. they will tell ya if they can benefit you.

I paid $300 for the last jacking. Pretty sure it would have been $1000 - $1500 to tear out and replace. And I am not sure why the new stuff wouldn't sink in a few years anyway. CMS was good about stopping by and discussing options and gave me an exact cost estimate. I think I would call them and ask for an estimate before doing any expensive tearing up. JMO.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I paid $300 for the last jacking. Pretty sure it would have been $1000 - $1500 to tear out and replace. And I am not sure why the new stuff wouldn't sink in a few years anyway. CMS was good about stopping by and discussing options and gave me an exact cost estimate. I think I would call them and ask for an estimate before doing any expensive tearing up. JMO.

I'm Sluggo's neighbor, and I have sinking concrete too. Just haven't done anything about it yet.

I think in our case, it's not the concrete so much as the sandy soil under it. Hard to compact sand. Plus, when the water table is high, it has to affect things. Our elevation is low. A few days of rain, and the sump pump runs.

FWIW, my driveway slab is still very much in good shape, just one portion is sinking. My garage floor is perfect, after 21 years. Not a crack in it.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sandy soil is usually the best for concrete (again my non professional opinion) Hence why they bring in sand when doing a project. I went around my patio after they were done with and built it up so the sand didnt have a place to go. -- cant say that is what to do but imo i didnt want edges losing the sand.

- - - Updated - - -

plus i made sure it drains away from the slab

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bismarck soil sucks, your either on river bottom sand or expansive clay up north. I live up north and everyone's driveways look like hell. Thankfully my house has never moved in 11 years, but driveway is going to be lucky to make it 15 without replacement.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm Sluggo's neighbor, and I have sinking concrete too. Just haven't done anything about it yet.

I think in our case, it's not the concrete so much as the sandy soil under it. Hard to compact sand. Plus, when the water table is high, it has to affect things. Our elevation is low. A few days of rain, and the sump pump runs.

FWIW, my driveway slab is still very much in good shape, just one portion is sinking. My garage floor is perfect, after 21 years. Not a crack in it.

short is right sand is actually a really good material under concrete as it is free draining and it has no expansion and contraction.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any advantages when it comes to foam or mud when bringing said piece of concrete back to level? I have a side walk sinking that butts up against the house foundation and am struggling to get someone to come to central part of the state and fix.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66