Lawmakers Meals

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are already getting $186 per day plus housing allowances. I think that's more then enough when most of their constituents are living on less than that, let's not act like they are not getting plenty of other "perks" from well funded lobbyists either! Not a single one of them is making "financial sacrifices" and if they are maybe they shouldn't have ran for public office. There never seems to be a shortage of people wanting to suck off the government tit!

$186 per day, assuming an 8 hr work day is $23.25 an hour.

The average wage in ND is currently $33.69 an hour. Q: What Is the Average Average Salary by State in 2021? (ziprecruiter.com)

So let's not kid ourselves into thinking the lawmakers are making more than "most of their constituents" while they are in session.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I know a gentlemen very well who served in the legislature for many years. I've had many discussions with him about the process and serving. First hand knowledge of the goings on. He was lucky if he could get a place that would just accept the housing allowance for payment. The businesses and snow birds know exactly what is allowed and when there is an increase, they also increase what they collect. Most days when they were on the floor, they ate off the sandwich cart. Evenings, if they could swing it, they would get together with some other legislators at the (Feasts) get togethers and have a couple refreshments, talk shop and just let their hair down a bit after long days spent on the floor and in committee hearings. He didn't take any bribes or anything that would have looked bad for the district or the state. He wasn't crooked like I hear everyone call all politicians. I met quite a few of the gentlemen he served with and they were all decent people. They came from small towns and were very respected in their communities. I haven't seen the crookedness first hand with what I saw and heard and I asked about it. I am sure there is some somewhere but I personally don't think it's as rampant as some would think. I do believe when you move up the ladder in the political world, it becomes easier to be swayed by certain things. I disagree with some of the legislators in my district, but in no way would I ever call them crooked politicians. I thank them for serving and respectfully disagree with some of what they are saying. I think they just need to be reminded they serve the majority in their district, not the loudest or not what they personally think, unless that's what the majority wants done. I just thought I would defend those guys that are actually doing it for the right reasons. Maybe if you dislike or don't trust your representatives, you should call them or personally meet with them and discuss issues of concern? Go to the district meetings and ask questions. OK shoot away!

Fish On!

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you don't trust your politician, then why would you trust an ethics commission appointed by your politician? And it comes complete with a confidential whistleblower hotline. In this country you should have the right to face your accusers. The wording says persons acting in good faith may submit relevant information or file a complaint anonymously. Well....how do they sort out relevant, good faith, snitches or ill will? There is criteria for complaint procedure and investigation.

https://www.ethicscommission.nd.gov/sites/www/files/documents/Complaint procedure rules.pdf

Lots of government speak there. In the mean time everyone is scared to accidently cross the line so everyone was sitting on the sidelines in 2019 and 2020. No one was meeting with their elected representatives. Covid probably won't be an issue in 2023 but Constitutional Measure 1 will still be with us.

And you the taxpayer get to pay for this additional layer of government that restricts you from access to your elected representative.

1. In order to strengthen the confidence of the people of North Dakota in their government, and to support open, ethical, and accountable government, the North Dakota Ethics Commission is hereby established.
2. The ethics commission may adopt ethics rules related to transparency, corruption, elections, and lobbying to which any lobbyist, public official, or candidate for public office shall be subject, and may investigate alleged violations of such rules, this article, and related state laws. The ethics commission shall maintain a confidential whistleblower hotline through which any person acting in good faith may submit relevant information.
The legislative assembly shall provide adequate funds for the proper carrying out of the functions and duties of the commission.
3. The ethics commission shall consist of five members, appointed for four-year terms by consensus agreement of the governor, the majority leader of the senate, and the minority leader of the senate. No member of the ethics commission may hold other public office or be a lobbyist, candidate for public office, or political party official.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member

The average wage in ND is currently $33.69 an hour. Q: What Is the Average Average Salary by State in 2021? (ziprecruiter.com)

So let's not kid ourselves into thinking the lawmakers are making more than "most of their constituents" while they are in session.

Ok zip it

Here is what the state of ND is the average wage based on UC reports and surveys

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_nd.htm#00-0000

Here is some more facts directly from ND

Estimated cost of legislators' session compensation $2,645,2081
Estimated cost of legislators' monthly compensation 1,516,816
Estimated cost of legislators' health insurance ($826 per month premium for 126 legislators) 2,497,736
Estimated cost of lodging during session 512,000
Estimated cost of mileage during session 428,922
Estimated cost of session employees' compensation 1,123,348
Estimated cost of computer equipment replacement (one-time funding) 92,500
Estimated cost of legislative wing equipment and improvements (one-time funding) 1,000,000
Estimated cost of legislative applications replacement system project (one-time funding) 3,910,827Estimated other expenses 2,287,197Total 2009-11 biennium appropriation for the Legislative Assembly (2009 SB 2001) $16,014,554

Sounds good - computer, health insurance, housing, payroll and a bonus, mileage

Sounds like a good part time retirement job. Where do i sign up.

Plus the ones in minnesota they use state parks for extracurricular activities: https://www.mprnews.org/story/2016/...op-lawmaker-cited-in-makeout-session-retiring[FONT=&quot]A park officer ticketed State Reps. Tim Kelly of Red Wing and Tara Mack of Apple Valley last month when he found them in a car at 4:30 p.m. His notes indicate Mack's pants were pulled down and he said the two were “making out.”[/FONT]

Good use of the park.
Sounds like a fun job!!!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not that I am into defending politicians but if it was such a good gig why don’t the more people cash in and then fix the problems? It doesn’t pay good enough for me to take a month or so off work and I did inhale

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t believe ND has an average hourly wage of $33+. The oil field has higher than average wages in ND. And there aren’t many making $33 an hour or higher

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member

I don’t believe ND has an average hourly wage of $33+. The oil field has higher than average wages in ND. And there aren’t many making $33 an hour or higher

I also find it very hard to believe that the average hourly wage is $33/hr. Maybe $23/hr but not $33

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
After looking some more, I suspect shorts numbers on average wage are better.

Other than that, I don't know why he muddied the waters with dumb shit and especially Minnetucky stuff.

Nonetheless, Kurtr's point of if it were such a lucrative gig holds water. Anyone can run if they think it's a monetary boon to them.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member

you left out the $1,400 plus per month healthcare they receive for the entire year which is around $ 17,000 per year and it needs to be considered into their compensation package. If you only count the 80 days in session and use your 8 hr days that works out to $26.25 fringe benefit how many of their constitutes get $ 26.25 in fringe benefits?

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
After looking some more, I suspect shorts numbers on average wage are better.

Other than that, I don't know why he muddied the waters with dumb shit and especially Minnetucky stuff.

Nonetheless, Kurtr's point of if it were such a lucrative gig holds water. Anyone can run if they think it's a monetary boon to them.

Rep. Keith Kempenich was interviewed by a reporter. He more than likely gave ten intelligent reasons why he has to introduce legislation for reimbursement of meals because 2018 Constitutional Measure One bans citizens free banquets. During the interview he said something dumb about a can of spaghetti.

Which part did the reporter report?

I can sympathize with Rep. Kempenich. This happened to me. A reporter asked me for an interview and nothing pertinent to the topic was printed. I did make a gaff at the end of the interview and that is what went into the paper. Later on they asked for another interview and I said I would have to proof the article before it goes to print. They refused. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Get lost fake news.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
you left out the $1,400 plus per month healthcare they receive for the entire year which is around $ 17,000 per year and it needs to be considered into their compensation package. If you only count the 80 days in session and use your 8 hr days that works out to $26.25 fringe benefit how many of their constitutes get $ 26.25 in fringe benefits?

Shorts post suggests a much lower cost for health insurance. 826 vs 1400 is not trivial.

Look, I'm not saying we should make the bastidges rich, but when this kind of stuff comes up I get worried about the restrictions we are putting on people willing to run.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have to retract the housing as thinking about it how do u get an apartment for a couple months. Unless if your greased

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Capitol Cafe · Hours
600 E Boulevard Ave, Bismarck, ND 58505
Closed · Opens Mon 7 AM

Days of weekOpen hours
SaturdayClosed

SundayClosed

Monday7 AM - 4 PM

Tuesday7 AM - 4 PM

Wednesday7 AM - 4 PM

Thursday7 AM - 4 PM

Friday7 AM - 4 PM

Due to coronavirus restrictions, business hours may vary for the near future. Please confirm with the business.

- - - Updated - - -

Eyexer,

The citizens luncheons that are the topic here, happen after 4PM.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
While I love getting on those fucking politicians beat down as much as the next guy. I also think in our little states are different than national politics. Questioning them in productive ways and then term limits as no one person needs to hold an office for 20 plus years are good things. But looking in the mirror no way I want that job doesn’t pay enough and do t have enough time to do it also I can’t imagine the bitch fest after bitch fest from everyone. It’s easy to chirp from the sidelines. Now those national mother fuckers they need a pay cut and to start eating some spaghetti from a can. No health insurance for life and 8 year term limits.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think the French coined the phrase "LET THEM EAT CAKE". Not sure what it means but it seems fitting.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Capitol Cafe · Hours
600 E Boulevard Ave, Bismarck, ND 58505
Closed · Opens Mon 7 AM

Days of weekOpen hours
SaturdayClosed
SundayClosed
Monday7 AM - 4 PM
Tuesday7 AM - 4 PM
Wednesday7 AM - 4 PM
Thursday7 AM - 4 PM
Friday7 AM - 4 PM
Due to coronavirus restrictions, business hours may vary for the near future. Please confirm with the business.

- - - Updated - - -

Eyexer,

The citizens luncheons that are the topic here, happen after 4PM.
why not just extend the hours of the capitol cafe. Work something out just for legislators or something.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have to retract the housing as thinking about it how do u get an apartment for a couple months. Unless if your greased
I would be willing to bet that any of the rental companies with vacancies would take a three month lease for an elected official

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not that I am into defending politicians but if it was such a good gig why don’t the more people cash in and then fix the problems? It doesn’t pay good enough for me to take a month or so off work and I did inhale

I believe you are correct. I've never been involved in the state legislature but was involved in city government for many years. It's easy to piss and moan about what elected officials are doing but try to find one of the complainers who is willing to serve. Never worked with anyone in city government who didn't want to do what they thought was best for the community and none of them ran for office because of the pay. It's easy to be an expert until you actually have to make a decision that affects a whole lot of people.

Happycamper

Honored Member
Earl Pomeroy was probably the most ineffective legislator ever elected from ND. He sloughed his way, had a competent campaign manager, got beat along with Dorgan and Conrad but all will still draw full benefits on your dime. Wth is wrong with this picture?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62