Lawmakers Meals

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dormitories are answer. Pay for the vacant spaces if any. The Men have to be in Bismarck College. The Ladies at St. Marys. For lunches give coupons for Casey's, I think there is one close to the Capital. Send your receites to NDA for approval.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is why we need lawmakers in Bismarck every 2 years to come up with shit like this? JFC shut her down and make it a bi-centennial session from now on, every 200 years should be sufficient for this shit!:mad:

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I too know that some of the legislators rent from snowbirds. I do know for a fact in one 12 unit building, 4 units are rented by legislators from snowbirds every time they meet up in Bismarck. I also know as fact that they surrender their entire housing entitlement to those snowbirds.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Capital has a cafeteria real easy fix. I am sure a deal can be made for discount's. Why, if these men and ladies don't like it don't do it. It is no different than the people that work in Senate and House, sure funny how after many years they are multi millionaire's. We don't see all the spiffs given. Like it was said earlier never saw poor person in group. I do believe they get insurance all year and after they are done, so add that in too.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
am i wrong in the assumption that they likely aren't getting paid from their regular job (if they have one) while they are down there?

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
So its an 80 day working session so about 4 months :

518 a month 2,100.00
186 a day for 80 days - 14,800.00
1800 a month lodging - 7,200.00
24 months of health ins-34,200.00

Grand total 58,300.00
so about 14,500 a month for their work

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
am i wrong in the assumption that they likely aren't getting paid from their regular job (if they have one) while they are down there?
Not necessarily. Most are farmers, business owners etc. I'm sure they are still making money, not to mention the under table money and "favors from their constituents" if you know what I mean.

Timbuk-2

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems to me $1800 for housing is more that sufficient to find a place to rent while they are in session and if they can't figure out how to feed themselves with $186/day, we need someone else in their place. They should also have to pay for the insurance when they are not in session.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Unless your employer is unusually generous no they are not getting paid by their work. Either take vacation time or unpaid time off.

- - - Updated - - -

Not necessarily. Most are farmers, business owners etc. I'm sure they are still making money, not to mention the under table money and "favors from their constituents" if you know what I mean.

Which is why we should increase their compensation so that the common man can serve in the legislature. We have too many farmers and business owners making important decisions.....

- - - Updated - - -

Seems to me $1800 for housing is more that sufficient to find a place to rent while they are in session and if they can't figure out how to feed themselves with $186/day, we need someone else in their place. They should also have to pay for the insurance when they are not in session.

$1800 is pretty good but good luck trying to find a place to rent for only 3 months.... most leases are 6-12 month minimum.

- - - Updated - - -

This stuff was originally a "volunteer to help make my community better for me and my family/neighbors" concept.

If it's the money that draws them into public service then they need to resign.

- - - Updated - - -

I made lots of sacrifices when I was in charge of raising my family.

If I had a heart for public service I'd make sacrifices for my "larger family" as well.

I am guessing those days, and men of honor and commitment, are long gone.
It’s not like they are asking for a huge unreasonable raise to get rich. Someone should not have to make financial sacrifices to serve in our government. I would question someone who puts public service above having to make family financial sacrifices.....

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
​GF talk radio host wants to start a "backpack program" so each local legislator will be sent back to Bismarck ever week with a backpack filled with food similar to what is done by the school system for the kids that have needs.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have mostly disappointment in politicians but there is a problem. If we make things so tough an average person can not be in the legislature only the rich and grain farmers with winters off will be in the legislature. Or retired old guys like me.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unless your employer is unusually generous no they are not getting paid by their work. Either take vacation time or unpaid time off.

- - - Updated - - -

Which is why we should increase their compensation so that the common man can serve in the legislature. We have too many farmers and business owners making important decisions.....

- - - Updated - - -

$1800 is pretty good but good luck trying to find a place to rent for only 3 months.... most leases are 6-12 month minimum.

- - - Updated - - -

It’s not like they are asking for a huge unreasonable raise to get rich. Someone should not have to make financial sacrifices to serve in our government. I would question someone who puts public service above having to make family financial sacrifices.....
They are already getting $186 per day plus housing allowances. I think that's more then enough when most of their constituents are living on less than that, let's not act like they are not getting plenty of other "perks" from well funded lobbyists either! Not a single one of them is making "financial sacrifices" and if they are maybe they shouldn't have ran for public office. There never seems to be a shortage of people wanting to suck off the government tit!

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have mostly disappointment in politicians but there is a problem. If we make things so tough an average person can not be in the legislature only the rich and grain farmers with winters off will be in the legislature. Or retired old guys like me.
That’s who makes up the legislature now with maybe a handful of exceptions.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
That’s who makes up the legislature now with maybe a handful of exceptions.
True, true, true. The Jamestown farmers that are there are some of the richest farmers. I know two and one is conservative and the other crazy liberal. The conservative thinks about everyone, but the other guy if your not a farmer your not crap. Hot on the no trespass, and arrogant.

Edit: Now that I knocked that guy let me say that the legislator from in Jamestown (Im in the country and different district) because of his religious beliefs treats everyone with respect. Great guy. Wish they were all like that.

Last edited:

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going to try and achieve greatness without sacrifice. Maybe people will support me in that...and give me free stuff! Because the feel sorry for me!

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member

They are already getting $186 per day plus housing allowances. I think that's more then enough when most of their constituents are living on less than that, let's not act like they are not getting plenty of other "perks" from well funded lobbyists either! Not a single one of them is making "financial sacrifices" and if they are maybe they shouldn't have ran for public office. There never seems to be a shortage of people wanting to suck off the government tit!

There are many laws restricting gifts, favors, gratuities or whatever that a lawmaker can accept. NDSportsman, could you provide some examples of persons trying to buy influence? Or examples of lawmakers knowingly accepting unlawful gifts.

We are getting way off in the weeds with this topic. What Rep. Keith Kempenich is talking about is Constitutional Measure 1 passed by the voters in 2018. Almost every night during session ND voters somewhere are hosting events inviting legislators. It's not mandatory for a legislator to attend but food is a draw. Until Constitutional Measure 1. By providing food or drink or whatever worth more than $200 bucks you could be in violation trying to get legislators to your function. Here is the Measure. Everything underlined is new. Much of it is redundant or there was already laws on the books. It was slick, why wouldn't the voters vote yes?

Section 1. Transparency.
1. The people of North Dakota need information to choose candidates for office, vote on ballot measures, and ensure that their representatives are accountable. This transparency must be sufficient to enable the people to make informed decisions and give proper weight to different speakers and messages. The people therefore have the right to know in a timely manner the source, quantity, timing, and nature of resources used to influence any statewide election, election for the legislative assembly, statewide ballot-issue election, and state government action. This right is essential to the rights of free speech, assembly, and petition guaranteed by the First Amendment to the United States Constitution and shall be construed broadly.
2. The legislative assembly shall implement and enforce this section by enacting, no more than three years after the effective date of this article, laws that require prompt, electronically accessible, plainly comprehensible, public disclosure of the ultimate and true source of funds spent in any medium, in an amount greater than two hundred dollars, adjusted for inflation, to influence any statewide election, election for the legislative assembly, statewide ballot-issue election, or to lobby or otherwise influence state government action. The legislative assembly shall have an ongoing duty to revise these laws as necessary to promote the purposes of this section in light of changes in technology and political practices. The legislative assembly shall vest by law one or more entities with authority to implement, interpret, and enforce this section and legislation enacted thereunder. If the laws or rules enacted or an implementation, interpretation, or enforcement action taken under this section fail to fully vindicate the rights provided in this section, a resident taxpayer may bring suit in the courts of this state to enforce such rights.
Section 2. Lobbyists and Conflicts of Interest.
1. A lobbyist may not knowingly give, offer, solicit, initiate, or facilitate a gift to a public official. A public official may not knowingly accept a gift from a lobbyist. These prohibitions do not apply if the lobbyist is an immediate family member of the public official. "Gift," as used in this subsection, means any item, service, or thing of value not given in exchange for fair market consideration, including gifts of travel or recreation. However, “gift” does not mean any purely informational material, campaign contribution, or, in order to advance opportunities for North Dakota residents to meet with public officials in educational and social settings inside the state, any item, service, or thing of value given under conditions that do not raise ethical concerns, as determined by rules adopted by the ethics commission. Such rules must be adopted within two years after the effective date of this article. So as to allow for the adoption of these rules, these prohibitions shall take effect two years after the effective date of this article. Appropriate civil and criminal sanctions for violations of this subsection shall be set by the legislative assembly.
2. An elected public official may not be a lobbyist while holding office or for two years after holding office. Appropriate civil and criminal sanctions for violations of this subsection shall be set by the legislative assembly.
3. A lobbyist may not knowingly deliver a campaign contribution made by another individual or entity. “Deliver,” as used in this subsection, means to transport, transfer, or otherwise transmit, either physically or electronically. This prohibition does not apply to a person who delivers a campaign contribution to the person’s own campaign, or to the campaign of the person’s immediate family member. This prohibition shall not be interpreted to prohibit any person from making a campaign contribution or from encouraging others to make a campaign contribution or to otherwise support or oppose a candidate. Appropriate civil and criminal sanctions for violations of this subsection shall be set by the legislative assembly.
4. A statewide candidate, candidate for the legislative assembly, or public official may not knowingly use a campaign contribution for personal use or enrichment. Appropriate civil and criminal sanctions for violations of this subsection shall be set by the legislative assembly.
5. Directors, officers, commissioners, heads, or other executives of agencies shall avoid the appearance of bias, and shall disqualify themselves in any quasi-judicial proceeding in which monetary or in-kind support related to that person’s election to any office, or a financial interest not shared by the general public as defined by the ethics commission, creates an appearance of bias to a reasonable person. The legislative assembly and the ethics commission shall enforce this provision by appropriate legislation and rules, respectively. So as to allow for the adoption of such legislation or rules, this subsection shall take effect three years after the effective date of this article.
6. Governments of foreign countries, foreign nationals not lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the United States, and corporations organized under the laws of or having their principal place of business in a foreign country, are prohibited from making contributions or expenditures in connection with any statewide election, election for the legislative assembly, or statewide ballot-issue election.
Section 3. North Dakota Ethics Commission.
1. In order to strengthen the confidence of the people of North Dakota in their government, and to support open, ethical, and accountable government, the North Dakota Ethics Commission is hereby established.
2. The ethics commission may adopt ethics rules related to transparency, corruption, elections, and lobbying to which any lobbyist, public official, or candidate for public office shall be subject, and may investigate alleged violations of such rules, this article, and related state laws. The ethics commission shall maintain a confidential whistleblower hotline through which any person acting in good faith may submit relevant information. The legislative assembly shall provide adequate funds for the proper carrying out of the functions and duties of the commission.
3. The ethics commission shall consist of five members, appointed for four-year terms by consensus agreement of the governor, the majority leader of the senate, and the minority leader of the senate. No member of the ethics commission may hold other public office or be a lobbyist, candidate for public office, or political party official.
Section 4. General Provisions.
1. This article is self-executing and all of its provisions are mandatory. Laws may be enacted to facilitate, safeguard, or expand, but not to hamper, restrict, or impair, this article. This article shall take effect sixty days after approval.
2. For the purposes of this article, “public office” or “public official” means any elected or appointed office or official of the state’s executive or legislative branch, including members of the ethics commission, or members of the governor’s cabinet, or employees of the legislative branch, and “agency” means each board, bureau, commission, department, or other administrative unit of the executive branch of state government, including one or more officers, employees, or other persons directly or indirectly purporting to act on behalf or under authority of the agency.
3. If any provision of this article is held to be invalid, either on its face or as applied to any person, entity, or circumstance, the remaining provisions, and the application thereof to any person, entity, or circumstance other than those to which it is held invalid, shall not be affected thereby. In any case of a conflict between any provision of this article and any other provision contained in this constitution, the provisions of this article shall control.[7]

Everyone complains of growing government. Next we will have to hire an ethics commission to keep track of the ethics commission.

And one more thing. That Constitutional Measure one killed a lot of nightly dinner functions and covid finished off what was left.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 115
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73