Lawmakers Meals

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where do I even start?

BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) — A bipartisan group of lawmakers want North Dakota taxpayers to pay for legislators’ meals.
The legislation follows a ban on the once-frequent free feasts from lobbyists and interest groups under voter-approved ethics rules.
Republican GOP Rep. Keith Kempenich is sponsoring the bill that will allow lawmakers who live outside Bismarck to claim reimbursement for meals.
The bill has an estimated two-year cost of more than $424,000, or about $3,340 for each of the 127 qualified lawmakers.
Kempenich says he used to get fancy dinners from lobbyists, but that now he has to eat spaghetti out of a can.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If I have to pay for mine out of my living expences so shall they so sayeth the tax payer.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
The IQ of most of these people has got to be on the very low side . They knew what they signed up for when they ran for office , for crying out loud . I think one of these bean heads is also the guy that wanted to give all the public river land south of Bismarck back to the landowners that had already been paid for it years ago . This happened a couple sessions ago

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
I see Keith is a member of the Farm Bureau , geez I wonder how he will be voting on the no trespass bills

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like the majority of them haven't missed out on too many meals.. I aint payin taxes so they can get fatter

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pack a cooler if you are away from home for 5 days at a time. That's what I did for 9 years as a traveling salesman. Or spent the cash and ate shitty fast food.

However, these guys won a popularity contest, and must be treated as such.

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
This is from the last session in 2019: My simple math calculates they make over $36,000 a year when they are in session.

BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) — North Dakota’s House wants to give the Legislature a raise.

Representatives voted 87-6 for the pay increase on Tuesday.
Lawmakers are paid $495 a month and $177 a day during the session. The measure would increase the monthly sum to each lawmaker by $10 and the daily rate by $4.
There are 94 representatives and 47 senators in the Legislature.
The cost of the increased salary and wages for all lawmakers would total more than $927,000.
Lawmakers already receive a housing allowance during the session of more than $1,700 a month. They also are on the health plan that covers state employees. Neither state workers nor lawmakers pay a share of the premium, a benefit that is worth about $1,250 monthly.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I may be in the minority here, but every employer I've ever had (exception being farmers) has paid my room and board when I had to travel away from home for work. Why would we think our legislators, who are being asked to travel to Bismarck for work are somehow not deserved of the same treatment? Just because?

It would seem to reinforce the notion that one would have to already be wealthy to run for office in ND.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I may be in the minority here, but every employer I've ever had (exception being farmers) has paid my room and board when I had to travel away from home for work. Why would we think our legislators, who are being asked to travel to Bismarck for work are somehow not deserved of the same treatment? Just because?

It would seem to reinforce the notion that one would have to already be wealthy to run for office in ND.
does your company buy yours meals when you are in the office? The capitol in Bismarck is their office I don’t consider it business travel. Where I work there is people traveling from all areas of the state to work. Some rent apartments nearby and some just endure the drive everyday, but non of them get their meals paid.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't get too worked up over feeding them but I strongly believe they should be paying at least 50% of their insurance premium. I wonder if they are covered for life on the state insurance plan ?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
$1700 bucks a month housing. I look at what my kid pays for housing on a brand new one of those epic places --- they still would have 8 or so to eat on. WTF

They could meet for 1/2 the time they do now - forgo all those bullshit bills such as the day light savings time one.

I look at my life of the last umpteen years --- i feel now more crowded with laws then now. We dont need any more. Only one group is following laws and paying taxes - the rest are burning down buildings, rioting, breaking shit and calling it a protest, etc etc.

Skullet

Established Member
I am shocked that these people would have the audacity of wanting to be compensated more for doing what they do. I must be in good company here, because I haven’t ever felt that way. And judging by the comments, very few of you have either.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member

It's all about them loosing their free ride chuck wagon ride from the lobbyists

Kempenich, who has been in the House since 1993, said dinners funded by lobbyists and other groups had gone from “steak and lobster to finger food” during that time. Lawmakers used to joke about the weight they packed on during a session, but this session, he said, the freebie food is nonexisten

One former lawmaker testified last session that the removal of the lobbyist meals perk was forcing him to develop unhealthy eating habits, including dipping into candy dishes on his colleagues’ desks. Kempenich said he doesn’t expect to gain any extra pounds this session since he now typically eats a can of spaghetti for dinner that costs $1 and he keeps canned food in his desk for lunches.

Lawmakers are paid $518 a month and $186 a day during the session. They also receive a housing allowance during the session of more than $1,800 a month and are included on the state-funded employee health plan worth about $1,425 monthly.

“We are a citizen legislature,” said Kempenich, whose home is about 200 miles from Bismarck. “It shouldn’t have to cost us money to be here.”

Kempenich’s bill failed in the House two years ago, but he said his fellow lawmakers may support his bill now that the free “feedbag” is no longer available.

GOP Senate Majority Leader Rich Wardner, of Dickinson, said he has no “appetite” for such legislation, especially at a time of declining state revenue.

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Their palms get so greased from the lobbyist how can they even hold on to silverware? LB

fishhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
83-8500 a month plus insurance paid isn’t enough for more than spaghetti in a can?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75