Electrc vehicles~

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting read. I live very nearby to a Tesla charging station along the interstate. I saw them put it in and thought it would never get used. It's actually very seldom I'm not at that gas station when there isn't one or two at least there charging. Heck, there are two of them in the small development I live in. Last time I looked, a super charge at the Tesla station @ $2 gas was about even up in cost. If fuel is higher, that changes, but I was surprised at the cost.

If you told me that I could have an electric truck with the specs they say, for the same costs as a gasser, and with a lifespan of 300k miles, I would consider it if there was a network of good speed chargers around. I think the grid is really the most significant limiting factor now. If everyone starts getting them, hotels, campgrounds, heck your relatives are going to have to charge you for your vehicle charge when you visit. Prices will go up at all those places, but you won't be paying for fuel.

The KERS energy recovery system is used on F1 cars. Lots of systems out there trying to harness "dead" energy. Batteries though I still question. Minus the environmental cost of building them, anyone every have a Black and Decker drill set from the 90's. Those batteries were shit. Yeah, my Milwaukee batteries are better now, but what do they look like in 5 years? I had a customer with a Prius whose batteries went dead at 120k.....$6000 to replace. But who knows, I need to ask my next Uber driver how the Prius cars are holding up, they all drive them LOL!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting read. I live very nearby to a Tesla charging station along the interstate. I saw them put it in and thought it would never get used. It's actually very seldom I'm not at that gas station when there isn't one or two at least there charging. Heck, there are two of them in the small development I live in. Last time I looked, a super charge at the Tesla station @ $2 gas was about even up in cost. If fuel is higher, that changes, but I was surprised at the cost.

If you told me that I could have an electric truck with the specs they say, for the same costs as a gasser, and with a lifespan of 300k miles, I would consider it if there was a network of good speed chargers around. I think the grid is really the most significant limiting factor now. If everyone starts getting them, hotels, campgrounds, heck your relatives are going to have to charge you for your vehicle charge when you visit. Prices will go up at all those places, but you won't be paying for fuel.

The KERS energy recovery system is used on F1 cars. Lots of systems out there trying to harness "dead" energy. Batteries though I still question. Minus the environmental cost of building them, anyone every have a Black and Decker drill set from the 90's. Those batteries were shit. Yeah, my Milwaukee batteries are better now, but what do they look like in 5 years? I had a customer with a Prius whose batteries went dead at 120k.....$6000 to replace. But who knows, I need to ask my next Uber driver how the Prius cars are holding up, they all drive them LOL!

A Prius will go about 3/4Mi on a full charge and it's battery is $6K. It's battery and electric motor is only meant to help you under high power demand conditions like starting from a dead stop, merging onto a highway, etc. The batteries in cars where that's the primary power are much larger and exponentially more expensive.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I foresee pulling in, swapping batteries, heading out. A robotic system takes care of it. You never get out or deal with a human.

Sort of like propane tank exchanges.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I foresee pulling in, swapping batteries, heading out. A robotic system takes care of it. You never get out or deal with a human.

Chinese EV makers are going down this path. They say it takes five minutes. Elon better step up his game.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Must be some interest out there as both of these are BUY or Strong Buy. 91-100% Buy or strong buy..wish i would have put more in these in my Robinhood account 8 months ago.
PLUG- plug power up 1599.22% past year.- provides alternative energy technology. Its fuel cell system is designed to replace lead-acid batteries.
PLL- Piedmont Lithium - up 440.22% past year. Exploration and development of mineral properties
With this new Administration, i am glad i bought 8 months ago! Wish i would have gone more in.

Last edited:

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t think it’s too late. All the there are green energy etfs and solar wind energy ets that are up 200% on the year. Those are astronomical numbers for etfs. They should keep going up with this administration. You might as well benefit from it. Everything electric vehicle, Charging stations for EVs, green energy, wind energy, solar energy would be worth looking into to invest your money. Choose wisely though.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member

#guywhotakestheeasyroute.....lol thanx for the monday grin guy.....good thought tho,but a EV won't pull your icefishing rig and trailer.

PS guy,these EV batteries are huge,they are long/flat run from bumper to bumper curious what would happen in a accident such as getting t-boned.not one review on the saftey concept yet.

Last edited:

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Tesla semi is being produced in Nevada now and claims 800 km charge and will pull 80000...

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Tesla semi is being produced in Nevada now and claims 800 km charge and will pull 80000...

I think CDL holders can run 11hrs then need a 10hr break. If they make a battery(s) that'll charge in that 10hr break, go 11hrs guaranteed with a full freight load and powering all accessories (heat/AC/Refer/air-ride/air-brakes/etc), in any weather (arctic-desert), over any terrain (flat to multiple mountain passes), then the Etrucks will be viable and the tech for passenger vehicles will trickle-down from there.

No trucking company is going to purposefully slow down their delivery turn time. Nobody who gets paid by the mile that's also bound by a max # of hr's/shift is going to drive an E-truck unless it pays the same/more.

Again, I'm all for greater efficiency and lower maintenance, but, not at the cost of extra time or lower performance.

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
Ask anyone who runs an electric ice auger if they will ever go back to a Model 30 Jiffy?
And yes... they had electric augers 30 years ago too, but the technology sucked and gas was a far better choice. Vehicle technology will go the same way.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think CDL holders can run 11hrs then need a 10hr break. If they make a battery(s) that'll charge in that 10hr break, go 11hrs guaranteed with a full freight load and powering all accessories (heat/AC/Refer/air-ride/air-brakes/etc), in any weather (arctic-desert), over any terrain (flat to multiple mountain passes), then the Etrucks will be viable and the tech for passenger vehicles will trickle-down from there.

No trucking company is going to purposefully slow down their delivery turn time. Nobody who gets paid by the mile that's also bound by a max # of hr's/shift is going to drive an E-truck unless it pays the same/more.

Again, I'm all for greater efficiency and lower maintenance, but, not at the cost of extra time or lower performance.

The big trucking companies like Pepsi’s and coke are already ordering them. My guess is EV semis will sell like hot cakes.

- - - Updated - - -

Just think of delivery trucks in big cities. They will all go to electric.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed,GM is selling commercial electric cargo vans like hot cakes (fleet only) this year we'll see how this plays out but the big rigs?I'm sure they'll have onboard charging of some sort.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does Elon blow smoke or are his claims legit? Cause that cyber truck that he made boasted some pretty good specs. 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, 500 mile range. At only 50 grand. Why ain’t people buying these things? I have seen the cars around.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don’t think it’s too late. All the there are green energy etfs and solar wind energy ets that are up 200% on the year. Those are astronomical numbers for etfs. They should keep going up with this administration. You might as well benefit from it. Everything electric vehicle, Charging stations for EVs, green energy, wind energy, solar energy would be worth looking into to invest your money. Choose wisely though.
Are some of these companies even making money or are they being bought up on a promise of futures profit? Tesla has barely made a dime in actual profit but their stock keeps going up. Sounds risky to me.

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are some of these companies even making money or are they being bought up on a promise of futures profit? Tesla has barely made a dime in actual profit but their stock keeps going up. Sounds risky to me.

Yes according to their quarterly earning reports they are. There’s so many companies to invest in right now. My favorite is battery companies. Most just talk about the actual car company, but many of them source batteries from other companies. 2021 has been a hell of a start!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
what's resale been like for Teslas?

I don't know one Tesla model car from another, but there have been a bunch of used sedans for sale recently, on autotrader. Miles in the 10's or 20's. Prices in the low 30's. They aren't that far off from other mid-sized four-door sedans. I don't want one, but they're becoming more palatable.

I don't want an electric vehicle, but I must admit that other electric/cordless tools are the norm now. Most people, for most uses, don't even think about corded power-drills anymore. Electric ice-augers are becoming very common. My electric weed-wacker is more than powerful enough for my yard, my neighbor's yard, and my mother's yard, all on one charge. Used my cordless leaf-blower this morning, to dust off the driveway and sidewalk. I have a brand new gas one in the garage, and didn't even consider grabbing it. My next lawn-mower will absolutely be a cordless Ego. (not too sure about snowblowers yet, but maybe soon...)

My point is, 10 or 20 years ago, electric/cordless things were in the dark ages. Now they're the norm. Fast forward 10 to 20 years, and I feel the batteries will have progressed to a point where electric vehicles will be very common.

Outboard engines/motors? Not sure. Batteries, although light-years from where they were a while back, are still heavy. Weight in a boat is a far bigger concern than on the road. Even this though, is currently debatable. Do we really need 300, 350, 400 hp outboards? Do we really need 21 ft fiberglass boats that go 60 or 70 mph? Do we really need two or three 12" or larger screens? Multiple trolling motors?

Regarding cell phone batteries, the phones are becoming more efficient than ever before. The screens are larger though, and we demand that the devices do more. Also, we use them more. Watch my two teen aged girls, and see how often their phones are turned on. All of this, while we still demand that the phone itself is sleek and slim. The batteries are smaller than they were 20 years ago, charge faster, and last longer. They too are evolving. They may last only a few years, but that's under constant use.

FWIW, the iphone 7s in my pocket will be 5 years old this summer and still works fairly well. A lot better than a 5 year old cordless drill that I'd use a couple hours a day.

(I should be getting a replacement battery for my iphone this week, and will install it myself. Hope that that gets me another couple of years. The battery, along with the tools I apparently need, was less than $20 on Amazon)

There.. That post should piss off just about everybody! Just my two-cents.

Jaykay

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Concerning transportation I believe our Country is being enchanted to produce a colossal Rube Goldberg device. Much scenery is being destroyed by goddamn windmills.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ask anyone who runs an electric ice auger if they will ever go back to a Model 30 Jiffy?
And yes... they had electric augers 30 years ago too, but the technology sucked and gas was a far better choice. Vehicle technology will go the same way.

Would you run an electric auger if the battery technology made a battery that had the reliability of a car battery to start your auger's gas motor and you could drill holes all day long with just a 5 gallon can of mixed gas along to re-fill the auger's tank??? Maybe electric auger use will actually fade in the future if auger battery's improve that much!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 156
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 79