Electrc vehicles~

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Iffen batteries could be cheaper or hydrogen fuel cells could get a grip and nuclear could make a comeback much to the sharin of oil...

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Iffen batteries could be cheaper or hydrogen fuel cells could get a grip and nuclear could make a comeback much to the sharin of oil...

If the 135" deer I shot in MT last fall would've had longer tines, more mass, and a wider spread he'd have made B&C.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

I think it will happen , For years we have thought it works just fine. Who would have thunk 100 years ago that it would be easier and faster for man to walk on the moon than it would be to refine the automobile.

Last edited:

fishhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I LOVE the idea of 100% Torque available from a dead stop. Electric motors are fairly simple and do what they do with mind-numbing reliability. Look @ electric trolling motors. Shove 'em in the water and they spin along wherever you set them for years on end. Batteries and control units are the weak link. The motor itself almost never fails.

I'm not however going to turn a 2.5hr trip from Fargo to Bismarck with the boat in tow for an early Mo river spring bite, into a 5hr trip because I gotta charge the truck 2x on the way. Not happinin'.

I wonder if one could use a small turbine engine to run essentially an alternator like they use a diesel motor on a train? IIRC turbine engines are significantly more efficient than an internal combustion 4-stroke with much lower maint' as well?

trains are run with a diesel internal combustion engine. Yes it’s a generator running 4400hp but it’s still using fuel. Lots of it!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
trains are run with a diesel internal combustion engine. Yes it’s a generator running 4400hp but it’s still using fuel. Lots of it!

Yes, I get that. I was thinking about a turbine engine, a small one, to power either a charging system or have its output fed into a device that spit out DC current for a car/pickup. Jay Leno's jet motorcycle makes 350HP from a 140# turbine engine that's made primarily to power helicopters. Capture the heat normally lost out the exhaust to power a secondary electrical charging or DC output system?

If the rules hadn't changed in '68, how would Parnelli's jet engine'd Indy car have done?

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The good thing is if the battery takes a crap it’s only $15000 to replace.

We'll see,GM boasts a 10 year warrenty on they're vehicle batt's

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
We'll see,GM boasts a 10 year warrenty on they're vehicle batt's

So when that car is 10yrs old with 185K Mi like my current pickup, who's going to spend $15K on a new battery?

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
So when that car is 10yrs old with 185K Mi like my current pickup, who's going to spend $15K on a new battery?

gee SD didn't know the dang battery is $15k,guess the little shit box will make a good flower box in the front yard,hell I took my dad's 2000 mercury away from him last summer I bought new for him as he's 92 years old 250k runs great,worth maybe $100 today so a 10 year old EV in good shape ? who know's might have to pay to haul it away like our old tube t.v.s.:;:huh

Last edited:

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
First off. Let's be respectful and have a good informative conversation.
Electric cars? Everyone wants em. Look like a great idea. Let's look at the process of building an electric car. Batteries? Where do they come from- an open pit lithium mine. One of the ugliest things you will ever see. Lithium is a fossil fuel. It will run out as well.
The key to a electric car is its weight and the power needed to propel it. What do you use for that. Plastic and carbon fibre- both derived from oil.
The tires-oil
How do you keep it charged up. Where's the power come from? Natural Gas,oil(pipelines),hydro electric(dams),solar,wind(battaries) it just doesn't come from an outlet.
The electricity comes from a fossil fuel in all cases. Either in its flammability or storage in a battery.
An electric car is a farce and it only serves the purchaser a badge to think there doing the right thing when they are actually doubling down.
Even that plastic pen to sign the back of that unemployment check is made of oil

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Elon musk is a super genius. Go ahead and bet against him see how that pans out.

- - - Updated - - -

He could sell a portion of his shares today and buy GM and Ford out.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
not that i completely disagree but...

1. lithium isn't a fossil fuel
2. hyrdo, solar, wind, and nuclear are not fossil fuels... they obviously use fossil fuels to develop, build, operate, etc... but, they aren't, by their nature, "fossil fuels".
3. i could be wrong. but, i thought i read most carbon fiber is not oil based anymore. still pretty wasteful to manufacture. but, if am remembering right, carbon fiber isn't necessarily derived from oil (fossil fuel) anymore.

Hamm's

Founding Member
Founding Member
My question about electric vehicles has always been what effect on range does running the A/C or heat have on them. No one seems to have the answer. In ND you're always using one or the other.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
First off. Let's be respectful and have a good informative conversation.
Electric cars? Everyone wants em. Look like a great idea. Let's look at the process of building an electric car. Batteries? Where do they come from- an open pit lithium mine. One of the ugliest things you will ever see. Lithium is a fossil fuel. It will run out as well.
The key to a electric car is its weight and the power needed to propel it. What do you use for that. Plastic and carbon fibre- both derived from oil.
The tires-oil
How do you keep it charged up. Where's the power come from? Natural Gas,oil(pipelines),hydro electric(dams),solar,wind(battaries) it just doesn't come from an outlet.
The electricity comes from a fossil fuel in all cases. Either in its flammability or storage in a battery.
An electric car is a farce and it only serves the purchaser a badge to think there doing the right thing when they are actually doubling down.
Even that plastic pen to sign the back of that unemployment check is made of oil

I could happily motor along w/internal combustion engines for the rest of my life, I have nothing against them and I have at least a layman's understanding of how they work. It's no great feat but I could take apart and re-assemble a small-block Chevy it'd run.

The above aside, a 4-stroke IC engine running @ it's peak efficiency would still only be 25% efficient if there were no efficiency lost to friction and heat. There is efficiency lost to friction and heat in every IC engine. Doesn't matter how many gears you add to a transmission or how many MPG's you squeeze out of aerodynamics or weight loss, the fact is, you're starting off with a minimum of 75% room for improvement.

If someone can cypher a more efficient way for any reliable, safe, and abundant power source to turn the wheels on an automobile, I'm all ears. That said, I'm not sacrificing performance or reliability for efficiency. I grew up in the days of 55MPH Interstate Highways without a TV, phone, or iPad in the car for entertainment. The CB radio and radar detector in dad's car were the pinnacle of early 80's tech inside a car at the time. I'm not interested in going back to 200Mi worth of ND Interstate Highway taking 4hrs.

That guy

Honored Member
If these new batteries last so long how come your lucky to get three years out of a phone without walking around with a chord?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
not that i completely disagree but...

1. lithium isn't a fossil fuel
2. hyrdo, solar, wind, and nuclear are not fossil fuels... they obviously use fossil fuels to develop, build, operate, etc... but, they aren't, by their nature, "fossil fuels".
3. i could be wrong. but, i thought i read most carbon fiber is not oil based anymore. still pretty wasteful to manufacture. but, if am remembering right, carbon fiber isn't necessarily derived from oil (fossil fuel) anymore.
I don’t know about the carbon fiber itself. But making it uses petroleum products. And carbon fiber in and of itself won’t do anything without the resin that completes the process. Without petroleum products you have no resin

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
If these new batteries last so long how come your lucky to get three years out of a phone without walking around with a chord?

just a wild ass guess, but perhaps they are designed to wear out so you have to buy a replacement.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57