Free range chickens

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
all I can say about the flavor is"nummy" ,couple times a year I stop at a little asian market/deli in little saigon in st paul minnesota,they roast "long island" ducks old school (one would swear he was in a da Nang village) hanging with a marinade bag sewed in the body caviety,tripe included you get the head and all for sucking the brains and eye balls out, I use they're dry rub on my duck/geese for bbq or oven cooking,peking rub is the best,but these farm raised ducks have great flavor,slight foul taste otherwise they would taste like chicken.

The taste cannot compare with a real duck in Vietnam that was raised in a rice patty/rice field fertilized with human $h!±.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The taste cannot compare with a real duck in Vietnam that was raised in a rice patty/rice field fertilized with human $h!±.
True just like the seafood in cancun and cozumel mexico,all the human waste flushed out to the ocean guess what lobster and shrimp eat?,learned the hard way first time in mexico,disintary makes farting a new experience.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member

give this a watch about "Big Chicken" if you've got the time. that being said, if you've got a fat old hen that you're butchering anytime soon, send me a DM.. my wife makes homemade chicken soup and the ones from the store don't cut it.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Used to have chickens on the farm ever summer for frying. Bought young chicks (roosters) in the spring and butchers during the summer. Usually about 200 birds/year. Sold some, ate the rest. Store bought chicken cannot compare to the free range chicken I grew up eating. Fun part was wringing the necks of about 25 birds on butchering day and watching them jump around the yard for a bit. Pretty gory for city kids but funny as hell to me. Sorry for bing so heartless.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
when I was a kid we helped a farmer near Underwood butcher his chickens

yep - headless chickens - some could run without their head

that was an eye opener for me - and I'll never forget the scalding tank smell - ermagerd

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The last 2 free-range chickens I procured cost me 2 boxes of 25ea 2 3/4" S&B 00-Buck. That was pre "noshellsontheshelves". I expect those same chickens could now be procured for the same ammo but 1 sleeve of 5ea/chicken.

Ammo for chickens. It's a thing.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
True just like the seafood in cancun and cozumel mexico,all the human waste flushed out to the ocean guess what lobster and shrimp eat?,learned the hard way first time in mexico,disintary makes farting a new experience.

Never went to Cancun or Cozumel but did go on dive trips to Grand Caymen and Bonair for a week each (6 days diving) and never had a stomach problem. Usually at the dive destinations there Is NO TAKE what's so ever of any sea life out to at least 100' of depth. They want to keep every sea creature possible to bring more divers (tourists) to their locations. I saw some BIG bugs (spiny lobster) at both dive sites.

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member

that was an eye opener for me - and I'll never forget the scalding tank smell - ermagerd
Amazing on how close my childhood memories are to others. Still can smell that scalding barrel stench and the headless run after the hatchet drop was funny in a weird sort of way. LB

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Amazing on how close my childhood memories are to others. Still can smell that scalding barrel stench and the headless run after the hatchet drop was funny in a weird sort of way. LB

Haha Funny how doing some things for the first time you never forget, I was probably first grade and my Mom was the Hatchet swinger. She had a nail bent at just the right angle so 1/4 turn pinned the head down in a chopping block made out of a tree. I had to hold them by the feet and she would grab the head and turned the nail so it held it down and then whack it off with a hatchet . I had to hold on to them till they quit flopping because supposedly they got bruised if I would let them go. I stool there getting blood on me and watched the beak open and close a few times on the chopped off head. That kind of stuff didn't hurt us a bit and I still like chicken.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've pondered just how many chickens I've eaten in my life. I can barely go a day without eating something chicken or eggs. Crazy when you think about it.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Look at the imaginations on you characters....I mean everyone knows chickens come from grocery stores.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
My folks were milking cows one time and our relates from Chicago were at our ranch. I was around 8 or so and their youngest was a girl around 12. We were down at the barn and she pointed to our bull and asked my Dad, "Uncle Joe, why don't you milk that one with the big bag"! I can still remember all the adults laughing at that and everytime it came up in conversation.
Yep, most city folk believed everything came from the grocery store and not from farms and ranches.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's because they eat with their pecker

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member

We cut the head off a rattler in the badlands once and tossed the rest of it in a ziploc for the grill later on. Opened the tailgate and it slithered out of the bag in the front of the box all the way to the back. Blood trail and all.

Not relevant I know, but reminded me of it.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
We cut the head off a rattler in the badlands once and tossed the rest of it in a ziploc for the grill later on. Opened the tailgate and it slithered out of the bag in the front of the box all the way to the back. Blood trail and all.

Not relevant I know, but reminded me of it.

I shotgunned a ~6' rattler in TX while hunting quail. Head was entirely gone. Summbitch was still tying to "slither" ~3hrs later when I skinned him.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in the 40s a farmer was butchering and one rooster just kept walking around and refused to die so the farmer named him Miracle Mike and brought him to side shows at fairs and made big money off him.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man this thread is bringing back some good memories.
Back in the day when i used to go out elk hunting in western Montana every year, we knew and stayed at this old guys place up in the mountains. He was old and was around 400 pounds but that guy was born and raised in the mountains and could climb those suckers like a skinny young kid.
Anyway he had a big red rooster and chickens at his place. The old guy was Bruce and we named his rooster, Brucester the rooster, as he was the horniest darn rooster we had ever seen. :;:exactly The chickens didn't want to come out of the coop to eat as they knew old Brucester was going to jump them for a poke. That rooster got so cagey that he would go out in the yard and scratch and act like he was picking worms or grain and eating them. Well those chickens couldn't take it and would come out to look and hopefully eat and old Brucester would quickly circle around them and jump them for a poke! ;:;rofl Asked old Bruce if that is what he used to do when he was a young man! :;:huh

He also had a big sign over his driveway entering his place that read, " Home Of The Dead Pecker Gang"! :;:thumbsup True Story.

Great guy and i miss him dearly! Rest in peace my friend.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73