Brat recipes

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
What’s the “standard/go to” for brat recipes. I’m just looking for a traditional recipe. I was looking at Wisconsin (booooooooo) brat and beer best from Owens BBQ.

Thanks.

go.

norm70

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anything you get through Marty at Owens BBQ is great! You said you were looking traditional but if you want to venture out the Philly Cheesesteak is really good. I typically mix a little heavy, for example if it says for 25lbs I mix in only 20lbs of meat. This gives the brats a heavier flavor.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In my sausage making I have tried some recipes where you mix the different ingredients and used the premixed such as those from Owen's BBQ. Now I only use the premixed as it seems they are every bit as good and usually better and so much simpler. Every once in a while I try a new one and usually my wife asks, "Why are you trying new when everyone likes what we've had in the past?" Good point. Don't try to over think your sausage.

I might add that if I try something new it's best to try a 5# batch as opposed to 24#. Easier to throw out a smaller batch without feeling so bad.

Buckmaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
you cant go wrong with any of the brat seasonings from owens bbq they are all top notch. our favorites are philly cheese steak, wisconsin, beer, stadium, and bacon cheeseburger.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've made a bunch of different seasonings from Owens (exactly the ones that Buckmaster just mentioned) and beer brat is by far my favorite. If you want just a normal brat flavor, beer brat is the way to go.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
What casings are you guys using the standard polish or smaller ones for brats?

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hog casings for polish, brats, kielbasa, ring sausage. Sheep casings for wieners, small stix

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76