Axel Spindle Question

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I'm repacking and replacing bearings & seals on my single axel boat trailer. After I removed the one hub, I noticed a very small gouge in the surface of the spindle. Might be 1/32 deep x 1/32 wide with about another 1/32 of steel rising out of the spindle...so super minor.

Since this is the first service on a trailer that I purchased new, this little nick had to have been there from manufacturing. The nick is on the center-top of the spindle and no where near either of the bearing seat points....not a friction point, so the only thing that would come into contact with it is the grease between the spindle and the inside wall of the hub.

What are your guys thoughts? Leave it or sand it down? I'm thinking I may do more damage to the spindle surface by sanding it, compared to this small gouge/nick.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only concern is if it might damage the inner grease seal when you slide the hub onto the spindle.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
So long as it's nowhere near where the seal rides, leave it. No harm, no foul kind of deal.

VoodooShaman

If you're as anal about things like that as I am. Take some 220 grit emery cloth and clean it up. Be sure to clean the spindle with some sort of degreaser when done so as not to leave any fine abrasives behind.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sand it down so the seal don’t catch on the way in and good to go.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the world of anal perfectionists, it is a point of future failure.... but not likely in your lifespan unless you tow down some awful rough roads at a million miles per hour.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd probably put the med-grit belt onto my Worksharp knife sharpener, pull the guard off and just knock down any sharp edges.

sdtransplant

Established Member
Had the same problem on my trailer, was going to put a speed-i-sleeve over it , but couldn't find the right size. Talked to someone a whole lot smarter than me and was told to go with a double lipped seal, did that early last summer no leaks yet.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This reminds me to check my bearings this spring. I've had the boat for 8 years and it was 15 years old when I bought it. Have no idea when the job was last done. Hope I don't forget.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77