Reloading Newbie Questions?

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I do some reloading of rifle shells when needed. I use a single stage RCBS press. I am looking to upgrade my powder measuring from just a simple scale to something accurate and more efficient. What are you guys using? What would you recommend?
Thanks
Fish On!

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone use Berger hunting VLD 6.5 bullets in 130 or 140gr? Are they similar to a ballistic tip or do the hold together better like a bonded bullet? Can’t find accubonds so seeing if these would be a good substitute.
140 VLD in my 6.5 Creed, and 6.5x284. I use the 150 gr VLD in my 270W and the 210gr in my 300 Win Mag.
I have killed deer at 758 yards with the 140 doing 2700 fps I have killed deer with the 150 in 270W at 3050fps out to 800 yards, and the 210 gr at 3060 spits through deer at 850 yards and spits up dirt 100 yards beyond. I wondered if it was mushrooming properly, but the inside looked like jello and he only made it ten steps. I have killed deer to 1200 yards with the 210 gr. With R26 I am now pushing the 140 VLD at 3035 fps. I have not had a buck tag for three years so which rifle I use if I get one this fall will be a tough decision. Maybe I'll just grab a wolf tag in Montana and try give the Creedmoor something to bite.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Kurt, Are you running the Matchmaster? It's a little spendy but I'm not opposed to buy once, cry once if it's the real deal.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do some reloading of rifle shells when needed. I use a single stage RCBS press. I am looking to upgrade my powder measuring from just a simple scale to something accurate and more efficient. What are you guys using? What would you recommend?
Thanks
Fish On!
I’ve been using a RCBS chargemaster for about 10 years.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chargemaster are real nice. Some powders don’t meter out of the worth a dam so take that into consideration. My Vit N570 being one of those

- - - Updated - - -

Once you go berger you won’t go back..... unless Biden outlaws lead bullets in that case we will all be shooting Barnes or Hornady GMX or whatever it is.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Once you go berger you won’t go back.....

Meh. I've shot plenty of Bergers. There's no doubt Berger makes a good bullet, but I find that a premium Hornady (ELD, ELDX) or Sierra (SMK, TMK) shoot just as well (or in some cases better), and are significantly cheaper.

- - - Updated - - -

Kurt, Are you running the Matchmaster? It's a little spendy but I'm not opposed to buy once, cry once if it's the real deal.

For the price of a Matchmaster, you might as well spend a bit more and get an AutoTrickler
I got one coming, so my Chargemaster (which is a great unit in its own right) may be for sale soon.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I almost bought some Sierra just for something new but man I drank the berger kool Aide hard!!! Haha the new Hornady A-tip tickles my fancy. I’ve just Personally the one and done drop in their tracks like someone pulled a rug out I have never had a bullet do it like berger. But that might have more to do with my shooting ability than anything as I shoot year around now and never did prior

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Meh. I've shot plenty of Bergers. There's no doubt Berger makes a good bullet, but I find that a premium Hornady (ELD, ELDX) or Sierra (SMK, TMK) shoot just as well (or in some cases better), and are significantly cheaper.

- - - Updated - - -

I have never had Berger out shoot Hornady or Sierra. From a 6MM BRX, to 6.5 x 284 Sierra shoots the best with Hornady a close 2nd.

My 22-6MM AI and 6MM AI love the Blitzking bullets.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
think opposite of Barnes bullets. They like to fragment IME. They remind me of shooting things with A-maxes.

There’s nothing to fragment short of maybe losing a petal.....

F7455F42-9F6C-4A57-89EC-059EC2A85AED.jpg

Elk, deer, a moose. .257 100's, .277 140's, .308 200's. ~200yds out to a bit over 500.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

I’m not but seen one in action and it functioned great. Used a charge master a bunch did the McDonald’s straw in the tube and it fed stick powders better.
https://www.prometheustoolcorp.com/
if wanting to get real crazy could always get a Prometheus

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
For the price of a Matchmaster, you might as well spend a bit more and get an AutoTrickler
I got one coming, so my Chargemaster (which is a great unit in its own right) may be for sale soon.

You should hit me up when you sell it. I might buy it from you....

The Chargemaster is neither precise nor very efficient. I have one. Two on the other hand, would be pretty efficient. They are slow and throw inconsistent charges. It would be better to throw a light charge and use a trickler on a manual scale to finish out. But I'm not that picky, yet.

Personally, I would look into other options if you are looking to buy once cry one.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
My brother runs dual Chargemasters and seems to be pretty happy with it. Speed can be increased by modifying the settings. Precision can be increased by taking steps to regulate temperature, static, and voltage consistency (which is true of any electronic solution). There are some good tips detailed here: CHARGEMASTER 1500 Best Results and Practices | Sniper's Hide Forum

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best thing that can be done for any of the thrower/scale combos is to get it OFF of the bench where you're press is.

Assumption being that you throw a charge, return the pan, the powder starts to spin in for the next charge and you're seating a bullet into the case you just charged w/powder. Even the most sturdy table, cleanly chamfered case, accepting sleekly tapered boat-tails jostles the bench, therefore the scale on the auto unit. They don't throw any faster that way, but, they do throw fewer imprecise charges thereby increasing throughput speed.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anyone try using CCI no34 primers in typical rifle rounds such as 6.5 creed or 300wm? They say they are magnum primers similar to cci 250’s but wonder if anyone has used them ?

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Guys, I need your help!
My boys are looking to get into reloading for handguns. I haven't used a progressive press and would like some insight on what I should get into. Would be reloading 9MM and 380 Auto and some 10MM. We don't need the very best as we are just getting started but we also will be splitting the costs to get into it so it would be more palatable for a better set up. We aren't major shooters yet but would probably shoot more as we load more.
We do some reloading for rifle hunting with a single stage RCBS press.
Thanks for your help!

Fish On!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guys, I need your help!
My boys are looking to get into reloading for handguns. I haven't used a progressive press and would like some insight on what I should get into. Would be reloading 9MM and 380 Auto and some 10MM. We don't need the very best as we are just getting started but we also will be splitting the costs to get into it so it would be more palatable for a better set up. We aren't major shooters yet but would probably shoot more as we load more.
We do some reloading for rifle hunting with a single stage RCBS press.
Thanks for your help!

Fish On!

Dillon 750 w/case-feeder is a superb machine for straighwall cartridge or prepped bottleneck brass. Give or take, ~800+ rounds/hr. Simple swap from 380-9MM, assuming you use the same brand primers for your loads it's just a die swap/powder recalc, or, even easier, have a toolhead/powder measurer set up for each and it's a 2-pin ~30sec swap.

Swapping primer sizes makes for a ~10Min swap-over, and, again, having a toolhead/powder-measurer set up for each chambering will save you significant time regarding setup/swapover.

The 550 is slower, but simpler and quicker to swap-over. I could be happy loading pistol cartridges on either the 550 or 750. I prefer to run rifle ammo (except 223's) on the 550. A 550 will run @ 350-400 rounds/hr.

FWIW, I'm 46 and still using the Dillon 550 my dad bought when I was in Jr. High. It's never been back to Dillon for anything, just clicks along doing it's thing so predictably it's mind-numbing. One caveat, ball/flake/spherical powders are your friend. "Extruded" powders can be maddening through a progressive powder measurer. Ball/flake/spherical will run +/- .1gn for hours on end. If I let the machine sit for a few hrs, I'll dump the 1st 2-3 powder charges right back into the powder hopper, then weigh the next few to make sure I'm spot on, then run again until I'm done.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
SDMF,
So, say I'm going to get into a 550, Can you give me the run down on what I need besides the machine? Like dies....3 die set or 4 die set and should I get a certain brand and should they be carbide? Some of this is confusing. Turret plates, 3 or 4 die sets, powder parts etc. I also am checking out powders that would work for multiple calibers. Looks like Hodgden Titegroup is a decent choice and fairly popular??
Thank You for the help! Much appreciated by a green horn and his boys! :cool:

Fish On!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
1. The machine will come with everything you need for 1-cartridge except dies.

2. Yes to Carbide dies w/straightwall cartridges.

3. If you want to minimize your fiddle-factor, you order this and carbide dies for each straightwall cartridge: https://www.dillonprecision.com/rl-550-series-deluxe-quick-change-assembly_8_49_23602.html

4. My pistol dies are 3-die carbide sets. The powder-funnel inside the powder measurer will flare the case mouth so no need for an extra die for that.

If 380, 9mm and 10MM are your goals I'd order the machine and 2 quick-change assemblies. The Dillon machines will accept any standard loading dies. Given current availability, I'd just nab the 1st 3 carbide sets you can obtain.

I'd probably nab the extra primer pickup tubes as well. You can get a 4-pack that has 2 small and 2 large, that'd get you going.

You'll want a primer flip-tray if you don't have one as well.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks
Fish On!

REDDING 3BR MATCH-GRADE POWDER MEASURE | Brownells

I can't imagine what I'd have to have for resources, and theoretical need, to buy an $800+ dispenser/scale when one similar to this has been nothing short of awesome for me. I test it for reproducibility every time I reload with a handful of different powders and one very similar to this has been spot on, every time. At least, it is to at about 2 decimal points in grains of powder.

I'd use that other $600 to buy something else, like brass, bullets, and powder.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79