Handheld GPS units

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
not true. My Garmin in reach is rechargeable with the micro usb. They don’t have double a batteries.

we’re talking GPS’s here..not communication devices.
Mall Oregon’s, Montana’s etc...can use double A batteries

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just get onX on your phone you can download a area for when you have no service, plus it shows all the national grasslands

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you put a GPS chip in yours like ONX or Kirsch?

onx doesn’t even make chips any more and I can down load all the land owner ship on it from garmin earth mate. Chips are obsolete in reality along with the gps units when everyone carries a phone any way and you don’t need service to use the maps. If I wasn’t out of cell service for a week at a time and needed communication I would only use my phone. I don’t know why any one would want to lug batteries around vs having one charging pack that will charge all the electronics you carry be it phone gps or camera.

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
onx doesn’t even make chips any more and I can down load all the land owner ship on it from garmin earth mate. Chips are obsolete in reality along with the gps units when everyone carries a phone any way and you don’t need service to use the maps. If I wasn’t out of cell service for a week at a time and needed communication I would only use my phone. I don’t know why any one would want to lug batteries around vs having one charging pack that will charge all the electronics you carry be it phone gps or camera.

onx doesn’t make chips? saw them in a couple stores this week?

Agreed GPS’s are totally becoming obsolete. Not much use anymore with phones.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
onx doesn’t make chips? saw them in a couple stores this week?

Agreed GPS’s are totally becoming obsolete. Not much use anymore with phones.

nope quit 3 years ago now it’s only on line. Those are old and I think they are not even up dating them any more

gunship

Founding Member
Founding Member
OnX does still make the chips and there is a practical use for them still today - especially when it comes to Western hunting. In theory, I agree that the phone makes a lot more sense, BUT it requires the foresight of knowing where you will be hunting and downloading the maps in advance if you will be outside of cell service (in 5 mile squares for decent resolution). In my experience, I inevitably end up hunting other areas where I don't have the maps. Also, consistently using OnX for navigation throughout a day of hunting is really taxing on the phone's battery. The chips are expensive at $119(?) per state even when you're paying for the subscription on the phone. Another kick in the n*ts is that Garmin, in all their monopolistic arrogance, likes to update software that breaks the compatibility with OnX chips on their units. I recently bought a 66i because it finally combined satcom, GPS and OnX compatibility in one unit. It worked flawlessly for two seasons elk hunting in MT, but when I updated my software last week it stopped working. Contacted OnX and Garmin on the issue. OnX confirmed that Garmin broke it in software this fall. Garmin did not answer.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
nope quit 3 years ago now it’s only on line. Those are old and I think they are not even up dating them any more

I can confirm that my handheld Magellan GPS is not as accurate as my Samsung galaxy s20 ultra, I put fresh batteries in the Magellan explorist 710 made a waypt in my yard opened my navionics app made a waypt in the exact same spot as my Magellan. I was surprised that how efficient the GPS accuracy is on my phone, I concluded that the phone was closer to the actual spot as well as stayed locked on the spot longer then the handheld.

The my Magellan handheld hasn't had updated software for 8 years now which is not good because glonass and gnss which are the main two my handheld uses with the help of waas. These systems are constantly being updated so the fact that Magellan doesn't support software updates for their GPS units is frustrating to me because it's still a excellent unit that I have accumulated hundreds of waypts that would take me hours to transfer over to a third party app that I am not comfortable in doing so.

The battery technology of the newer devices of today have exceptional quality of retaining power even when it's cold outside compared to the older smartphones. My old s7 when it got cold the battery would drop to dead with in 10 minutes from me taking it out of my pocket, this new s20 has superior battery life even when I use it outside in the cold.

One thing I don't like is about my smart phone app is that I am only renting the software as with my handheld I own the software

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been a long time since I played with a hand held gps unit since my lowrance hunt card reader took a shit but when I was on the hunt to replace my hunt garmin had it going on except they weren't compatable with lake master sd cards maybe they have something compareable today for mapping data?.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66