NDA Ammo and Reloading Component TRADE thread

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Graf's has some VV, Accurate, little bit of Hodgdon, and Ramshot powders as of this afternoon.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So I'm looking for brass or advice. I saved up a bunch of brass to reload and being still pretty new to this I didn't realize the 6.5 creedmoor can either be large or small rifle primers. I have plenty of large rifle and few cases of brass with large pockets. I've read large rifle is preferred. So is there anyone willing to trade some 6.5 creedmoor brass with large pockets for small. I would also be willing to buy. Or what are people's experiences with small rifle primers in the 6.5. I would be willing to explore that too.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I actually prefer the small primer brass. There's more 'meat' around the primer pocket, which (seems to) help keep the pocket tight on multiple re-loads. I run the CCI 450 (small rifle magnum) and enjoy low extreme spreads, and have never had an ignition problem.

In the current state of things, you may be forced to go in whatever direction you already have primers for -- although CCI 450s keep showing up at Scheels here and there...

I probably didn't help much here, but I agree with SDMF, no matter which pocket size you choose, Lapua brass is that good.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking for a few boxes of factory 80/100 grain .243 rounds.
A buddy bought his daughter a rifle and has nuttn to shoot thru it.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
AChucker, My statement above was sort of a "cut to the chase". You've got LR primers. Nab the Lapua brass that'll work with the primers you've got and run them. It'll give you a uniform lot of excellent brass rather than a hodgepodge. Sort out your current 1x fired brass and you can likely defray a good portion of the cost selling/trading your brass right in this thread in 2 lots, LR and SR primer-pockets.

In a perfect world, you read and research and buy what you think works best for your situation. In today's climate, you buy what works with the components you've got. In all reality, you're splitting frog hairs between large/small rifle primers. Pick whichever you have or can get the most of and shoot them.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
AChucker, My statement above was sort of a "cut to the chase". You've got LR primers. Nab the Lapua brass that'll work with the primers you've got and run them. It'll give you a uniform lot of excellent brass rather than a hodgepodge. Sort out your current 1x fired brass and you can likely defray a good portion of the cost selling/trading your brass right in this thread in 2 lots, LR and SR primer-pockets.

In a perfect world, you read and research and buy what you think works best for your situation. In today's climate, you buy what works with the components you've got. In all reality, you're splitting frog hairs between large/small rifle primers. Pick whichever you have or can get the most of and shoot them.

I appreciate the advice and link to the brass. I would certainly consider the lapua brass for me but this is for my son's rifle and at 13 doesn't have quite the awareness to always pick up his brass. After reading your post and suppress post I'm thinking of trying the small rifle primers and see what results I have. Thanks again very helpful

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I appreciate the advice and link to the brass. I would certainly consider the lapua brass for me but this is for my son's rifle and at 13 doesn't have quite the awareness to always pick up his brass. After reading your post and suppress post I'm thinking of trying the small rifle primers and see what results I have. Thanks again very helpful

which brass do you have with the small rifle primer

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
::wowzers:: They occasionally still have those at Scheels for $40-ish per 1000. I hope I never have to pay 10x the normal price.

It's hard to see but a double-edged sword. Prices like that from retailers are the ONLY thing that's going to stop the secondary market from doing the same thing. Retailers whether brick and mortar or online aren't getting any manner of volume so they need to make their $$ on higher margins.

Does a retailer like 1less linked above charging "Grunbroker/scalper" prices get us all back to normal supply/pricing sooner?

My sincere hope is that OEM's for components don't decide that a new market has been set and instead of $30-$50/1K, primers (and all other reloading components being sold on the gray market at significantly higher prices) should now cost such that retailers need to sell them for 3x-5x that.

6.5Creed, 143gn ELD-X Hornady Precision Hunter loaded ammo, 100rds for $600 "Buy It Now" pricing on Gunbroker right now. If that continues, how does Hornady not see that and think, well, instead of $35-$40/box retail pricing, we're gonna charge such that retailers have to sell it for $80-$100/box? Same for $300-$400/1K primers. Sooner or later CCI, Fed, Rem, and Win are going to decide they want that margin for themselves.........

- - - Updated - - -

Prob worst timing EVER to get into reloading for myself. Or the best. I dunno. Anyways, I am looking for IMR 3031 if anyone is willing to sell.

3031 in stock @ Powder Valley right now.

Last edited:

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I'm looking for brass or advice. I saved up a bunch of brass to reload and being still pretty new to this I didn't realize the 6.5 creedmoor can either be large or small rifle primers. I have plenty of large rifle and few cases of brass with large pockets. I've read large rifle is preferred. So is there anyone willing to trade some 6.5 creedmoor brass with large pockets for small. I would also be willing to buy. Or what are people's experiences with small rifle primers in the 6.5. I would be willing to explore that too.

Scheels in minot had 6.5 brass yesterday.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's hard to see but a double-edged sword. Prices like that from retailers are the ONLY thing that's going to stop the secondary market from doing the same thing. Retailers whether brick and mortar or online aren't getting any manner of volume so they need to make their $$ on higher margins.

Does a retailer like 1less linked above charging "Grunbroker/scalper" prices get us all back to normal supply/pricing sooner?

My sincere hope is that OEM's for components don't decide that a new market has been set and instead of $30-$50/1K, primers (and all other reloading components being sold on the gray market at significantly higher prices) should now cost such that retailers need to sell them for 3x-5x that.

6.5Creed, 143gn ELD-X Hornady Precision Hunter loaded ammo, 100rds for $600 "Buy It Now" pricing on Gunbroker right now. If that continues, how does Hornady not see that and think, well, instead of $35-$40/box retail pricing, we're gonna charge such that retailers have to sell it for $80-$100/box? Same for $300-$400/1K primers. Sooner or later CCI, Fed, Rem, and Win are going to decide they want that margin for themselves.........

- - - Updated - - -

3031 in stock @ Powder Valley right now.

Permanent increases are coming I'm afraid. And in some cases, may already be here. I saw where a guy was watching Noslers site for 3 months to buy his Trophy Grade ammo if it ever came in stock. Price just increased 30% from last week on Nosler's site. I doubt you will see that decrease anytime soon, if ever. Recreational shooting just got a lot more expensive. Gunbroker scalpers can go F themselves.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
20210211_105739.jpg
Runnings MHD this morning

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82