AIM Weekend Series 2021

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The WHINE from tourney anglers is always the same:

1. We bring in tons of $$, you need us. Well, Nobody missed you summer 2020.

2. Our fees go to improvements. Then why the big WHINE over G&F wanting a bigger piece of the pie for more improvements, perhaps not as benevolent as you'd like some to believe?

3. We take kids, vets, and school marms out fishing. If you're truly that benevolent, tournament fishing/pre-fishing cuts into available time for that.

4. Stop being a poopy-head, we don't like when the general public starts to speak up in numbers.

AaronJ, you tell me to stop "broad-brushing" tournament anglers so I'll offer this:

Is it every tournament angler, no. Does every tournament bring enough of of the bad eggs in to diminish the tournament angler image in the eyes of the general fishing/boating public? Absolutely!!

Police your own before whining about me.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not whining. Just pointing out the generally accepted thought that you are one of the more arrogant, know-it-all, easily triggered sportsman many of us deal with. Police yourself before whining about tourney guys.

More typical shortsightedness. I'm not the guy you have to worry about. The people you have to worry about are the folks who will go to G&F and their legislators. Remember, there's lots more that don't fish tournaments than do. Nearly 60K NR fishing licenses sold in 2020 between full season, husband/wife, 10 day and 3 day. Tournament fees back to ND G&F can EASILY be replaced.........

You're bitching about the symptom rather than treating the disease.

Last edited:

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
More typical shortsightedness. I'm not the guy you have to worry about. The people you have to worry about are the folks who will go to G&F and their legislators. Remember, there's lots more that don't fish tournaments than do. Nearly 60K NR fishing licenses sold in 2020 between full season, husband/wife, 10 day and 3 day. Tournament fees back to ND G&F can EASILY be replaced.........

You're bitching about the symptom rather than treating the disease.

Yes they can be.

Yet to figure out where I am bitching? About your chronically shitty attitude towards tourneys and their anglers? Maybe. I have been embarrassed more than 1 x while out in a boat with you. Police yourself.

I haven't said a word about the fees. They are what they are. Me complaining in an online forum will do nothing. I will explore different waters this year some for fun and some for tourneys Mille Lacs, more LOW trips, Green Bay). The beauty of fishing is there is always somewhere else to explore that doesn't include a huge license fee (IE: elk tag, etc).

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is it every tournament angler, no. Does every tournament bring enough of of the bad eggs in to diminish the tournament angler image in the eyes of the general fishing/boating public? Absolutely!!

Police your own before whining about me.

Interesting point. If an a-hole weekend fisherman is rude or otherwise a jerk you have no recourse but to return the nastiness or move on and just accept it. But you normally look at it as an isolated a-hole incident.

But if it's a tourney guy (or an out of state tag on the boat) then it's a human condition that we equate the two. Especially if it's repeated. That's just how biases work and for evolutionary reasons they've paid off. (all snakes are bad - kill them all now)

In some of these cases they're not really related - but we're going to relate them nonetheless and BOOM. Tourney guys and out of state guys suck. "Go Home A-hole" is how most people start thinking.

So like it or not it's an issue that tournament organizers need to address. Having never been involved I have no idea how tourneys currently handle reports of bad actions by their participants - but it seems wise they put quite a bit of emphasis on it and drop the hammer if the neg report proves true. It sucks but it's necessary.

Also - SDMF is one of those guys with the almost magical ability to genuinely give zero ####s what other people think. So have fun arguing with him. Seems like a handy skill set to have, most of the time. Ha ha.

Last edited:

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting point. If an a-hole weekend fisherman is rude or otherwise a jerk you have no recourse but to return the nastiness or move on and just accept it. But you normally look at it as an isolated a-hole incident.

But if it's a tourney guy (or an out of state tag on the boat) then it's a human condition that we equate the two. Especially if it's repeated. That's just how biases work and for evolutionary reasons they've paid off. (all snakes are bad - kill them all now)

In some of these cases they're not really related - but we're going to relate them nonetheless and BOOM. Tourney guys and out of state guys suck. "Go Home A-hole" is how most people start thinking.

So like it or not it's an issue that tournament organizers need to address. Having never been involved I have no idea how tourneys currently handle reports of bad actions by their participants - but it seems wise they put quite a bit of emphasis in it and drop the hammer if it proves true what they did. It sucks but it's necessary.

Also - SDMF is one of those guys with the almost magical ability to genuinely give zero ####s what other people think. So have fun arguing with him. Seems like a handy skill set to have, most if the time. Ha ha.

Keyboard warrior know it all's are the new norm. They can hide behind a screen name and not worry about recourse. I guess it's our own fault for getting drug into their mud hole. It's also one of the main reasons I pay such little attention to this site anymore either. The negative bullshit is so deep and stinks so bad from some, it's impossible to enjoy it.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Happy to see DL get some relief, only 13 permitted tournaments for this summer so far.

I feel for the non-tournament folks who fish Sak. 31 permitted tournaments so far with most weekends mid-June through the end of July having 3-4 already.

6 so far from late-Apr-early June on the Mo river from Bismarck S.

I have a great idea. How about a tournament on the Mo River from Bismarck S no further than the Cannonball sometime from mid-July through Mid-Aug. Rather than tournaments tying up the busiest ramps at the peak times of the year, go where the fishing is tough and show the fishing world how to catch fish in tough conditions.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keyboard warrior know it all's are the new norm. They can hide behind a screen name and not worry about recourse. I guess it's our own fault for getting drug into their mud hole. It's also one of the main reasons I pay such little attention to this site anymore either. The negative bullshit is so deep and stinks so bad from some, it's impossible to enjoy it.

Why are you quoting me with this since it’s not a reply to my post?

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member

He's far from a keyboard warrior....that I know for certain.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldnt agree tourney fisherman are childish. The way many act on the water is actually more comparable to a narcissistic asshole.

- - - Updated - - -

I’d be happy if there was never another tournament or guide on any of ND waters again. How many guides are operating in devils lake now 250-300?

- - - Updated - - -

You can spot a tourney guy coming a long ways away. They have to make a grand entry and show off their rig. Then they have to drive over a shallow railroad track at 50 mph to show they are serious. I’ve never seen worse behavior by boat drivers then tourney guys.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would drive kind of aggressive too if I was competing. I’m not sure I could help myself.

That’s the dilemma. Same resource, same “arena”... and you got one group of driven motivated competitive minded people fishing right smack dab in amongst average Joes.

Imagine a golf tournament on a public course. Flights of pros and average hackers departing intermingled. Not a recipe for conflict or anything.

Come to think of it - is there another sport where the pros are mixed in with the average Joes like a fishing tournament?

Last edited:

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would drive kind of aggressive too if I was competing. I’m not sure I could help myself.

That’s the dilemma. Same resource, same “arena”... and you got one group of driven motivated competitive minded people fishing right smack dab in amongst average Joes.

Imagine a golf tournament on a public course. Flights of pros and average hackers departing intermingled. Not a recipe for conflict or anything.

Come to think of it - is there another sport where the pros are mixed in with the average Joes like a fishing tournament?

Average joes... if not fishing a tourney makes me average call me miles davis.

- - - Updated - - -

This whole thread just reaks of "get off my got damn lawn!"

Dude wrong thread! Not sure where they post about lawns. I know they have a special spot for political threads. Just sayin.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Little tournaments liken the ones of LRAA or the one woodland puts on for the campsite just like small town coyote tourneys that don't get publicized are where it's at. Fun x2 at its best.

- - - Updated - - -

Average joes... if not fishing a tourney makes me average call me miles davis.

- - - Updated - - -

Dude wrong thread! Not sure where they post about lawns. I know they have a special spot for political threads. Just sayin.

Meh, I don't get my panties twisted over passionate people wanting to have a little competitive fun..

(And I will add that made very little sense regarding one's thinking of owning the ramps and water fwiw..) it's easy to have fun whether you're fishing for fun or choosing to be a little more competitve, patience goes along way indeed. Could swear you guys think you're fishing in a Damn swimming pool.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79