Zack shacks

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
a buddies fish house had 2 beds, one was about 5 ft up, the other about 2 feet up, the temp on the lower bunk was significantly less. He was in the higher one at a nice 70*, and I was at less then 50* with full winter gear and a sleeping bag and still shivering.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
a buddies fish house had 2 beds, one was about 5 ft up, the other about 2 feet up, the temp on the lower bunk was significantly less. He was in the higher one at a nice 70*, and I was at less then 50* with full winter gear and a sleeping bag and still shivering.

that’s the major flaw in bunks

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Gimmie the bottom-bunk every time. I can use a warmer sleeping bag or put on a few clothes. NOBODY including me wants me overheated to the point of nekkid in the top bunk.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member

Grainbelt

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone put a vented heater in one of these? I have a Zack Shack but have been searching for some pics for the install. Thanks!

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone put a vented heater in one of these? I have a Zack Shack but have been searching for some pics for the install. Thanks!

I built a wheelhouse recently. I have a suburban 20,000 BTU vented furnace. Install is easy. The back of furnace is mounted right up against the wall. I installed my furnace on top of 2 2x3’s with a few inches sticking out on each side to get it off the ground slightly and then screwed the 2x3’s down to the floor. You measure the venting coming out of the back of the furnace, and then use a hole saw to cut out the holes for the 2 vents. You install the outside vent and then mate the vent and furnace at the wall junction. Wiring is simple. You have your power wires going to your battery and then the thermostat wires for the thermostat. Mount the thermostat in an area that represents the best place to have a handle on what you want your temperature to be set at.

- - - Updated - - -

A6CAE29C-5A4A-4911-9389-34A9C5BF7FC0.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

9EBAEE25-1AA4-42B8-85A1-985DFE92E63D.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

87E31707-5370-4A96-837B-FCB24E5E0752.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

In the bottom picture, you’ll see the 2 vents for warm air. The aluminum mesh on the door is for the return. This is important if you are enclosing the furnace.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
imagejpeg_0(31).jpg

I used to have a big buddy in mine until a friend came across one of these neat little propane furnace that he helped me set up. Previous owner must have had a vented heater also as chimney pipe on outside on top of fishhouse was already in place when i bought it 2 yrs ago and thus the reason we needed to have an elbow to match up with existing chimney. This is before and after Sucker heats up in a hurry so fan is needed at ceiling level.imagejpeg_0(31).jpgFishing.jpg

Btmbncr

I have a Nu-way vented heater in the front of my zak-shack. I vented it out the front and then up to rooftop. Works great and doesn't need battery power to operate. Quiet operation without battery drain. The only way I will heat a fishouse.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone use a "Heat-Powered" fan? I've seen them made out of steel I-Beam and the fan spins as the beam heats up.

The few I've seen have been atop wood-burning stoves.

Grainbelt

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Nu-way vented heater in the front of my zak-shack. I vented it out the front and then up to rooftop. Works great and doesn't need battery power to operate. Quiet operation without battery drain. The only way I will heat a fishouse.

Looking online, the price seems right, did you have to install anything to protect the spray foam in the front of your shack. I see the manual states 9 inches of clearance from anything combustible.

- - - Updated - - -

What's the downside of these stoves? Most guys seem to spend the money on the Empire type stoves, so there must be some reason why.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The big plus for the Empire is you mount them to the wall, and vent is right behind the furnace. I make sure my vent is on the down wind side.

Grainbelt

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at the empires, not sure the zack shack has enough wall for supporting the structure. Anyone ever put one in a zack?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone use a "Heat-Powered" fan? I've seen them made out of steel I-Beam and the fan spins as the beam heats up.

The few I've seen have been atop wood-burning stoves.

Someone left a link on a thread a while back, and they look like they will work great. Kind of spendy for a fan though, but you'll save that in batteries in the long run.

Btmbncr

Looking online, the price seems right, did you have to install anything to protect the spray foam in the front of your shack. I see the manual states 9 inches of clearance from anything combustible.

- - - Updated - - -

What's the downside of these stoves? Most guys seem to spend the money on the Empire type stoves, so there must be some reason why.
The insulation is not a problem. I drilled my 3 inch hole for the vent pipe and used high temp sealent around the pipe. I have had these heaters in 3 fishouses and I have yet to see any downsides. With the Nu-way stove you can heat food up on its top. Also you can regulate the amount of heat you need with the control valve.

Grainbelt

Founding Member
Founding Member
The insulation is not a problem. I drilled my 3 inch hole for the vent pipe and used high temp sealent around the pipe. I have had these heaters in 3 fishouses and I have yet to see any downsides. With the Nu-way stove you can heat food up on its top. Also you can regulate the amount of heat you need with the control valve.

You happen to have any pictures of your install?

Thanks.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 168
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79