Hub Shelters- Must have/need items?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up an insulated hub shelter after exclusively using flip over shelters. With a little one who will soon be fishing, wanted more room and comfort. That said, I have no clue what I will need otherwise. Any thoughts on the items below, or otherwise, are appreciated-

Anchors- Are they all about equal? Install tools worthwhile?

Floor- I have read the foam exercise mats OR the puzzle foam pieces work well?

Chairs- Any chair recommendations that are light enough yet somewhat comfortable?

Lighting- I plan to use my flip over lights, worthwhile to do LED strips?

Storage- Any good items to add?

Trying to keep it somewhat light as my ATV probably won't get used with this setup too much. Trying to keep the little girl, wife , and maybe dog comfortable. If I can fit it all on the Jet sled reasonably I will be happy. Appreciate any input!

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
clam anchors are junk, I bought Eskimo ones that are much easier to thread in the ice by hand. The clam ones you have to use a drill with the tool to even try and get them in the ice.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just buy 8-10” torx lag bolts. They work awesome

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make a smitty sled for hauling your gear.

^^^^This! Did it this year and makes a HUGE difference.

So far my LED light strips have held up....I put them on the ceiling and in front of me - just don't cross over a hub or they'll rip apart.

Foam floor mats are a game changer but take up space in the sled. Will help keep feet and the dog off the ice and warm.

I also bring a small camp table that folds in on itself like a camping chair does. Amazing how much extra space I have for stuff when I can put things on and under the table.

Last edited:

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am a pretty big fan of the anchor install tools for the drill. Saves some irritation for $10 or less.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put one of those Eskimo anchor tools on a old timey hand drill (brace?) if you don’t have a decent battery drill. $5 at a local junk dealer. Works like a charm.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put one of those Eskimo anchor tools on a old timey hand drill (brace?) if you don’t have a decent battery drill. $5 at a local junk dealer. Works like a charm.

Tune in next week folks when we show you how make holes in the ice faster with the use of hatchets and dynamite..........

norm70

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a flip and a hub. Would much rather fish out of the hub just more comfortable. Chairs depends on how comfortable you want to be. It is usually me and my son so I will use a big lawn chair. Nothing beats the comfort. Anchors, I have found eskimo anchors to be the best, make sure you anchor your corners before you Pop the tent up. Eskimo also makes the anchor tool for a drill, I went years without using one I cant believe I did they are amazing. Last tip if you have kids drill your holes around the perimeter of the hub not in the middle or by the door. I will save your kids a wet foot! Good Luck I love my hub, not as mobile but much more comfortable.

HammsRMK

Honored Member
Fan to hang from the top of the shelter. Nothing fancy just get air moving. Seems to help keep the warmer air down.

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
If you are in a pinch and don't have the drill adapter for the ice anchors, pound a screwdriver or something of the like into the ice with a hammer. The anchors thread into the hole really easy by hand. Scheels was out of the adapters last time I looked.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buy one of the eskimo tools for anchors. My anchor tips seemed to have dulled up a tad. Then with cold hands it can be a pain at times to screw in. The tools takes seconds. Also, if you can find something for the floor, you'd be amazed at how much warmer you'll stay. Especially your feet. My dad used one of those rubber mats that go into your pickup box. Worked slick.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
The anchor tool and a drill is a must. We have the 650XD and use folding camping chairs. I just bought a thingy-ma-jig off of Amazon that's a light and fan all in one and runs off D batteries. I don't know how long it will run, but I will try it out soon. I've been thinking about the foam mats for flooring and will probably get some soon. I also have a small aluminum folding table I bought at wal-mart for keeping stuff off the ground. This is my first year ice fishing and every time we go out, I think of something.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the responses. Going to put together a Smitty sled for sure. All the tips on the anchor tools are helpful too. Trying to manage comfort versus packing the whole truck into the sled LOL! I can see already by the time I get the hub, floor, chairs, auger, fishing gear, snacks, heater, etc. it's going to be a full load. And that's not counting the necessary beverages!

Does a regular buddy heat 75 sq. ft. floor area insulated shelter OK? I just saw they have a hunting buddy with little more output but not quite as big as the big buddy heater.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the responses. Going to put together a Smitty sled for sure. All the tips on the anchor tools are helpful too. Trying to manage comfort versus packing the whole truck into the sled LOL! I can see already by the time I get the hub, floor, chairs, auger, fishing gear, snacks, heater, etc. it's going to be a full load. And that's not counting the necessary beverages!

Does a regular buddy heat 75 sq. ft. floor area insulated shelter OK? I just saw they have a hunting buddy with little more output but not quite as big as the big buddy heater.

I use a big buddy for everything, but I think you will be fine. Big buddy: 4,000/9,000/18,000 btu. Buddy: 4,000/9,000. I’ll fire mine up on high to get up to temp. Then I run it at low or medium. It depends on temp and wind. If someone opens up the doors for a while I’ll kick it up to high for a bit. The only thing you’ll be missing out on is cranking up the heat to quickly bring you up to or back up to desirable temp.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
How big of a PITA are these hubs to set up yourself? I didn't think that through too well when I bought it! Not here yet so curious.

I am compiling my gear and along with the kids' stuff, that Smitty Sled is going to need to haul a bunch of stuff!

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Easy to set up once you do it a couple times, unless it is windy, but then just put in an anchor before you start. I like to set mine up if not windy, mark where I want my holes with the auger, move it off, drill holes, get rid of shaving etc. Then move over top of the holes.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74