Hub Shelters- Must have/need items?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never not had to use an anchor with my hub. I gave it to my son when I upgraded my flip over. I personally dont really like the hub for ease of use. It is always windy on Sakakawea.

Founding Member
Founding Member
A few must have things I like in my eskimo hub shelter.

Comfy chair with side table, I bring a butt pad with for all day sits and you actually have some back support.
ice1chair.jpg
This clam light worked in the center roof hub of my eskimo as well. Durable and very bright.
ice2light.jpg
I really like this eskimo tie down kit, the straps are so much more easier to loosen and attach to the anchors.
ice3tiedown.png
These 11 lb propane tanks are handy if you don't have room for a 20 pound tank.
ice4tank.jpg
Like others have said tha rubber floor mats work nice especially under your feet and heater. Have had mine for about 6 years and they have held up good.
ice5floormats.jpg
I like to listen to the radio and one of these comes in handy because it has a light and phone charger as well.
ice6radio.jpg

You can find all of this stuff on Amazon. The best thing I have in the tent though by far is my live scope, makes ice fishing so much more fun! And of course a couple tall buckets with clip on bucket rod holders.

Last edited:

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
55, are those rubber mats heavy? How thick are yours? I was thinking of getting the closed cell foam ones because they are lighter, and cheaper I am sure

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
regular buddy heaters go out if you sneeze

big buddies require two people to sneeze

I have had both for many years. Both suck at low settings - damned near impossible to keep lit in a fabric shelter on windy days.

Is the flex better? If so, buddy heaters for sale.

Founding Member
Founding Member
55, are those rubber mats heavy? How thick are yours? I was thinking of getting the closed cell foam ones because they are lighter, and cheaper I am sure

No, extremely light weight.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
Set up by yourself is easy. just anchor the side into the wind first. Its not very often that i anchor the hub down with the ice anchors'. usually just tie it off on the four wheeler and its good to go.

one of the best things that i made for the hub is a center pole to hold the ceiling up so that u can hang stuff and not worry about the roof collapsing. Also made a table that goes on the center pole.

We use 2 old rugs with the rubber backing to sit on and keep your feet off the ice. We tried the mr buddy heater (smaller one) and it just didnt seem like it was enough on the colder days so now we went back to the old school sunflower heater

New this year we bought different lights for it. Nothing sucks more than not being able to see. We use two of these inside of the hub and one outside of hub where ever we have a tip up out. All together with making the harness and lights into it like $40. Made its own wire harness to plug into 12v battery bank. Use zip ties to hold onto the hub poles. Have to take down each set up but its worth the extra 5 min and couple zipties each use
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CJ634KK/?tag=nodakangler10-20

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
We tried the mr buddy heater (smaller one) and it just didnt seem like it was enough on the colder days so now we went back to the old school sunflower heater

What size hub? Insulated or non? Just curious!

undguy

Founding Member
Founding Member
You might want to consider a wood stove fan. They run on the heat from your Buddy heater, no batteries. You need to do a little grinder work so they slide onto the grill but they push the hot air out instead of the heat going straight up. The one I have is an Aynaxcol 4 blade heat powered stove fireplace fan that I bought on Amazon for about $35. I see they are no longer available on Amazon but there are many different types and sizes of them.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been using a flashlight type light, hanging it from the center beam. But is not always reliable, sometimes lights up nice, other times it seems to time out and shut off when it feels like it.

What sort of light system do you guys run. Those LED string lights seem like a good idea, but do they stick on the pole without popping off, and do they put enough light?

Freedom

★ Legendary Member
I have been using a flashlight type light, hanging it from the center beam. But is not always reliable, sometimes lights up nice, other times it seems to time out and shut off when it feels like it.

What sort of light system do you guys run. Those LED string lights seem like a good idea, but do they stick on the pole without popping off, and do they put enough light?
I think I've used one of those round clam hub lights for 5 years. Comes with a longer bolt for the hub and I purchased a wingnut to make the light easily removable. Bright and fits in a pocket on my Garmin so I have it when needed

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member

Last yrs purchase. Brightest light I have encountered, long battery life
Amazon product

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have only used this a couple times since I got it, but really like it, good circulation, and the light is plenty bright. Battery life was good. Comes with a remote which is also kinda handy laying on the cot. :) Amazon product

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
@DirtyMike had a nice set up in his otter flip over using 12v rope lights where he made his own power supply out of an ammo storage case. Maybe he will see my post and will give us a link or share his pics. It was a very interesting set up

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
@DirtyMike had a nice set up in his otter flip over using 12v rope lights where he made his own power supply out of an ammo storage case. Maybe he will see my post and will give us a link or share his pics. It was a very interesting set up
Had rope lights, wasn't a fan. Wasn't bright enough for my shitty eyesight to tie knots.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
How big of a PITA are these hubs to set up yourself? I didn't think that through too well when I bought it! Not here yet so curious.

I am compiling my gear and along with the kids' stuff, that Smitty Sled is going to need to haul a bunch of stuff!
Perhaps you needed a set of led rope lights with a higher lumen rating, you can purchase a rope led lights with a high lumen. JMTC
https://onforuleds.com/products/15m...2v-flexible-led-rope-with-450-units-2835-leds
Or get a light you can put on your cap for tying your lures

Last edited:

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have or make a shelf that fits on the poles? Good or bad?

I used a tent light similar to Wslayer and was happy with the light.

undguy

Founding Member
Founding Member

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121