Current thoughts on the covid vaccine???

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
While I, as a scientist, would agree that there are unscrupulous people in the scientific field, much like any other field, I take great offense with such a broad characterization of the morals of the scientific community. In particular, most govt scientists are supported by the taxpayer through a salary and they don't need to grovel or get pushy at the trough like academics or consulting firms (sorry, Guy).

As a biologist in the private sector, I hate to characterize government scientists with too broad a brush, but I think you're all lazy bureaucrats that spend Monday and Tuesday wandering around talking about the previous weekend, work on wednesday, and spend Thursday and Friday wandering around talking about the upcoming weekend

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha! I wish I was that skilled at throwing shade. I email people all day - spelling of the same names become a blur. Sorry Allen.

LOL, I get it all the time. Most of the time it's just because I'm not important enough for people to remember me, or they are that good at throwing shade.

I sat and reworded that passage several times trying to figure out how to dissociate you from the consulting and academic herd. Then just figured I'd apologize in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

As a biologist in the private sector, I hate to characterize government scientists with too broad a brush, but I think you're all lazy bureaucrats that spend Monday and Tuesday wandering around talking about the previous weekend, work on wednesday, and spend Thursday and Friday wandering around talking about the upcoming weekend

LOL. It's a good gig, at times. Kind of like most occupations.

- - - Updated - - -

In hindsight, I probably should have wrote "a segment of the academic and consulting community", there. Anymore butt salve needed can be shipped directly from Amazon.

Or so I've heard...

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
If and when I'm offered the vaccine, I will likely take it and move on. Odds are in the things favor. Then I can kiss strangers again.:;:

JuanR, you got nothing to say to this?!?! I can hear you laughing in Dickinson, all the way over here from Bismarck!

I can also hear you egging him on.. "Do it Matt! Do it!"

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen it’s a little hard for me to believe that researchers don’t let there own personal beliefs, political affiliations, and other peer influences determine their results. It’s human nature. You seem like a fine upstanding individual with morals and ethics so I get your offense to my post but not all are like you.

- - - Updated - - -

JuanR, you got nothing to say to this?!?! I can hear you laughing in Dickinson, all the way over here from Bismarck!

Egging him on to kiss strangers or get the shot??

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen it’s a little hard for me to believe that researchers don’t let there own personal beliefs, political affiliations, and other peer influences determine their results. It’s human nature. You seem like a fine upstanding individual with morals and ethics so I get your offense to my post but not all are like you.

- - - Updated - - -

Egging him on to kiss strangers or get the shot??

Kissing strangers. Or sticking his tongue up some..

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member

I think that's the difference of being a professional at something compared to not. If you're a true scientist you let the data determine the outcome...nothing else.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

Oh, scientists are human and subject to predisposed notions as such, but we still have to support our positions that had better jive with the vast majority of our peers. Otherwise it won't get published in respectable journals and we are left to just putting our stuff on Facebook. Papers get rejected all the time if there's even the smallest hint of insufficient data or pre-conceived notions being included as conclusions on what the data support.

Again, don't get me wrong. There are jackals everywhere in the world we inhabit. I just think that in the science world we have established a pretty solid set of operating procedures that have minimized it as best we can. Snake oils and hair tonics are a lot less in supply nowadays for a reason.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh, scientists are human and subject to predisposed notions as such, but we still have to support our positions that had better jive with the vast majority of our peers. Otherwise it won't get published in respectable journals and we are left to just putting our stuff on Facebook. Papers get rejected all the time if there's even the smallest hint of insufficient data or pre-conceived notions being included as conclusions on what the data support.

Again, don't get me wrong. There are jackals everywhere in the world we inhabit. I just think that in the science world we have established a pretty solid set of operating procedures that have minimized it as best we can. Snake oils and hair tonics are a lot less in supply nowadays for a reason.
Ok so my thinking in how this process happens was completely off and you have enlighten me on how it actually works. The only research I’ve over done involved cheap whiskey and women. Still haven’t formed a hypothesis yet. More research is needed.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
As a classically trained scientist, may I also suggest tossing in some experiments with cheap women and fine whiskey? The results might be surprising.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

Snake Oil is making a pretty strong comeback in my industry. I see a slow inevitable trend for people to reach for the easy button - because hard science shows the industry isn't having much more success than it did 20 years ago and people are fatigued. "What's the point of being diligent and thinking real hard about this stuff since we're flushing money down a rathole anyway" mindset.

I have also seen TRASH published recently in peer-reviewed journals (errors, lies?, and overall ineptitude). Thought about formally complaining in a "letter to the editor" for publication - but chose instead to send an email to editor and point out a few horrific sloppy mistakes. They were in a paper that covered a topic I have expertise in. Editor said I was welcome to submit a letter to the editor. Yeah - I know - with citations, having my friends proof it yadda. I almost did - but was busy fighting other fires and just couldn't muster enough give a damn. It haunts me. I should have.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Cheap whiskey and woman got settled 25 years ago. My wife said so, so must be true.LB

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
As a classically trained scientist, may I also suggest tossing in some experiments with cheap women and fine whiskey? The results might be surprising.
Can’t afford the fine whiskey due to the bad experiments with the cheap women in the past

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member

I am all for ahab and his quest to kiss some strangers, but feel my time best spent fighting the errors of this pandemic, which leaves me little room for the strangeness of the situation.
Iffn the best offense is a maskless smooch, well hell yeah.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Whom do you think was tougher? Mr. Edwards, Merlin Olson, or Grizzly Adams?

That's a tough one. In regard to the whole series I'd give a very slight edge to Edwards.:)

- - - Updated - - -

I think that's the difference of being a professional at something compared to not. If you're a true scientist you let the data determine the outcome...nothing else.

Same as a good cop.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
In particular, most govt scientists are supported by the taxpayer through a salary and they don't need to grovel or get pushy at the trough like academics or consulting firms (sorry, Guy).

Here's a bitch-slap of truth for you Allen.

Find me some video clips of gov't researchers actually answering a question with something other than, "It bears further research."

Water runs downhill @ the speed of gravity, but, we're gonna double-check that a couple hundred thousand times just to make sure that water and/or gravity are constant.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a tough one. In regard to the whole series I'd give a very slight edge to Edwards.:)

I hope we can agree that Lou/Bixby was THE toughest MOFO on TV in that era.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^^^^In a fantasy realm--yes. In this debate Charles is always forgotten.

FUN FACT: Laura Ingalls Wilder considered FDR a communist.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Snake Oil is making a pretty strong comeback in my industry. I see a slow inevitable trend for people to reach for the easy button - because hard science shows the industry isn't having much more success than it did 20 years ago and people are fatigued. "What's the point of being diligent and thinking real hard about this stuff since we're flushing money down a rathole anyway" mindset.

I have also seen TRASH published recently in peer-reviewed journals (errors, lies?, and overall ineptitude). Thought about formally complaining in a "letter to the editor" for publication - but chose instead to send an email to editor and point out a few horrific sloppy mistakes. They were in a paper that covered a topic I have expertise in. Editor said I was welcome to submit a letter to the editor. Yeah - I know - with citations, having my friends proof it yadda. I almost did - but was busy fighting other fires and just couldn't muster enough give a damn. It haunts me. I should have.

This is so unfortunate. A good friend of mine that was a scientist with a ND state agency uncovered one of his peers at the same agency falsifying data (ok, he downright fabricated shit to support his hypothesis) and got busted by my friend Bill in the peer review process. Things simply didn't add up so he called him out on it, only to discover he had been fabricating data for a number of years and it included some high level peer reviewed papers. All of which had to be rescinded by the journal(s). After the guy got fired from the state, my friend made it his personal vendetta to expose the fraudster at EVERY SINGLE OPPORTUNITY he could find. The fraudster eventually moved to Michigan (which should be considered on the low-end of science) and he never lived a single day without Bill hanging over his head.

I worked with Bill on projects ever since I was in grad school, it was kind of a toss-up on how best to get him worked up. You could either mention Bob the Fraud's name, or get him off on a tangent with how the Spanish Inquisition and Cortez were simply misunderstood Christians spreading the gospel.

Miss that guy....

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
downright fabricated shit
The guy must not have had access to a statistician who could have made it look legit. ::: The dead give away is phrases like " its widley accepted" which means " I and another guy think so".

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67